Speculation: Melnyk Breaking Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Thanks.

Sounds about what the writer of the article speculated i guess. Could be nothing, could be a sign they're getting frustrated.

I'm most intrigued about what it says about the Anselmi departure.

Did he quit due to this? Was he fired? Was it due to difficult working relationships with Melnyk? With the NCC? Was the job he was being asked to do too ambitious?

There's so many interesting questions you could ask based on the timing of how all of this went down.

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018

Did he quit due to this? Was he fired? Was it due to difficult working relationships with Melnyk? With the NCC? Was the job he was being asked to do too ambitious?

There's so many interesting questions you could ask based on the timing of how all of this went down.

Anselmi said it was to get away from “the craziness”. And I don’t think he has ever said anything further. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Reactions: GoSensGo and Deku

coastalview

Sep 11, 2018
i'd read on a different thread
a while back
that a.potential interested purchasing group
was buying up melynk debt
in order to be able call it at some point
and force a sale of the sens
cuz melynk will not readily agree to sell the team otherwise

maybe that rumour has no basis to it ?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

I see i was beaten to it, but Anselmi's comments at the time certainly point to there being issues and not business as usual one way or the other.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Hearing sub 10k attendance tonight haha. But it’s just HFBoards right? Clowns lmao

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think it's hard to really say one way or another without having intimate knowlwdge of NCC negotiation & business practices and trends, which I doubt anyone here possesses. This could be business-as-usual for the NCC, or it could be very telling of their patience running out (a statement which, applied to the NCC, is somewhat ironic) with RLG.

It certainly is an interesting bit of info, though. It suggests that Melnyk's side of the business was the one dragging their feet to the table ("We note that we have already received a counterpart of the Term Sheet signed by Mr. Ruddy on behalf of Trinity Development Group Inc.”)

Also interesting as it pertains to the timing of the Sens-Anselmi divorce.

it's an interesting article....but i take the entire article with a grain of salt.

the writer said Anselmi was let go. he wasn't. it was widely reported he resigned. one way of looking at it is the writer made a mistake. if that's the case, it's a pretty significant mistake. if it isn't a mistake then it's intentional.

I have no idea which is which... but when your job is to research and write articles and you get something like that factually wrong....at least for me I kind of disregard it.

personally I don't have any experience with NCC procurement. I do have experience with federal government experience. rather significant experience. if we were talking federal procurement, the extent of the delay would be considered pretty normal...it's quite uncommon for federal procurement of this complexity to proceed on a planned published timeline...actually the feds don't often publish timelines

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Here is the reference for the 12-20%. Because it hammered the 12% I thought it might be the same as your source. Anyways, fair point about price, though the market is looking up. This was a good read. Not suggesting we are going to the be next TO, but promising outlook on the Ottawa market at least...and despite Lebreton/Zibi volume.

Agreed Ruddy's wealth is friggin elusive. I still think he must be close. All I find is success and huge charitable donations when you look him up:)

Another way to look at it I guess is that if Melnyk is not investing any cash into the project, then would not the cash for the stadium have to come out of the overall profit of the project? This has been eluded to in regards to funding the stadium with advance condo sales. If the project covers the stadium, is that not hundreds of millions?

ya that was an interesting read.

the way I see the numbers, if it's 12% of 4B then there isn't enough profit, only 480M, to fund the arena. I keep hearing 600M for an arena. If Melnyk's cut on profit is 20%, which is likely high, then his cut is 96M. Not chump change, but not 600M either.

I don't understand condo developments and profitability, so I tried to research it. The OBJ article was interesting. I tie it back to a Melnyk comment "if we're wrong we're really wrong" I don't remember when he said that but it was in the last year. The article you linked lends credence to that statement in so far as we got a condo king saying you can time / price the market wrong and f*** yourself.

anyway. good discussion. cheers

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
ya that was an interesting read.

the way I see the numbers, if it's 12% of 4B then there isn't enough profit, only 480M, to fund the arena. I keep hearing 600M for an arena. If Melnyk's cut on profit is 20%, which is likely high, then his cut is 96M. Not chump change, but not 600M either.

I don't understand condo developments and profitability, so I tried to research it. The OBJ article was interesting. I tie it back to a Melnyk comment "if we're wrong we're really wrong" I don't remember when he said that but it was in the last year. The article you linked lends credence to that statement in so far as we got a condo king saying you can time / price the market wrong and **** yourself.

anyway. good discussion. cheers

Presumably he's selling the current arena and land, I wonder how much he can get for that?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Presumably he's selling the current arena and land, I wonder how much he can get for that?
I've wondered about that myself. Could you even generate enough profit on arena ops to afford to maintain it? if you tore it down, how much would it cost to demo it? personally I don't think it's worth much with a new rink in the downtown core

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I've wondered about that myself. Could you even generate enough profit on arena ops to afford to maintain it? if you tore it down, how much would it cost to demo it? personally I don't think it's worth much with a new rink in the downtown core

They'll likely convert it into a mall or something. That's my guess anyways.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I would be happy if ownership didnt lie to my face over and over again. You dont believe me? I dont really care. If you are ok with that fine by me but you're just another sucker if you are. Its a pretty simple concept, dont be smug *******s when you shovel bull**** down my throat. Its not about what they are doing as much as how they are doing it. If you are cutting costs because you dont want to pay the player dont tell me its because you think its the right deal. Dont insult our collective intelligence, its not a hard concept.

Why the **** do you think there are only 4 k season tickets. Its dropped from over 10,000 to 4,000 do you possibly think its because everyone is pissed off about exactly what im saying. Only person that is out to lunch here is you.

Ok

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Do you not think part of the poor season ticket renewals has to do with the uncertainty revolving around re-signing the franchises best player of all time?

Renewals were already poor after the playoff run. They had to install tarps, right? It predates all the BS from last year. This isn't an NHL market, whether due to corporate , fan or organization challenges.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Renewals were already poor after the playoff run. They had to install tarps, right? It predates all the BS from last year. This isn't an NHL market, whether due to corporate , fan or organization challenges.
Tarps were installed the year we had 8000 season tickets, sure we were trending in the wrong direction (not sure this is the place to go over why fan trust was dwindling), but your not being honest with yourself if you think the bs from the past year didn't affect it on this year's renewals.

As to whether this is an NHL market, your entitled to your opinion, but one thing seems pretty clear, the team has been mismanaged for a while now. The sheer volume of unforced errors is mind boggling. You only have to look to Chicago to see the difference proper management from the top down can make.

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018

Kanata isn’t an nhl market.

Let’s not pretend the location has nothing to do with it. The isles and devils would likely have the same attendance issues if there was no rangers. Location is a major determinant of the fan experience.

There are 2 major variables inhibiting the success of this franchise-ownership and location. Real or perceived-it’s irrelevant. because it is influencing buyer behaviour. It’s their job to fix it.

They need to roll up their sleeves and get to lebreton. This foot dragging on the project is doing more harm than good. For everyone’s sake I hope we see major steps forward on lebreton by their next meeting in late November.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Tarps were installed the year we had 8000 season tickets, sure we were trending in the wrong direction (not sure this is the place to go over why fan trust was dwindling), but your not being honest with yourself if you think the bs from the past year didn't affect it on this year's renewals.

As to whether this is an NHL market, your entitled to your opinion, but one thing seems pretty clear, the team has been mismanaged for a while now. The sheer volume of unforced errors is mind boggling. You only have to look to Chicago to see the difference proper management from the top down can make.
I repeat this part to my boss all the time (who is from Chicago) at what a difference a proper owner makes. We don't have one.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Hearing sub 10k attendance tonight haha. But it’s just HFBoards right? Clowns lmao

Well I am guessing there wont be money for Stone then.

Fans say 'he's cheap and calling it a rebuild"

Owner says "they are still cheap and calling it a boycott"

News flash._.. lack of money means lack of money for players, so don't blame the owner for not bankrupting himself for a payroll the fans wont support. Like most things in life you get what you pay for

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Well I am guessing there wont be money for Stone then.

Fans say 'he's cheap and calling it a rebuild"

Owner says "they are still cheap and calling it a boycott"

News flash._.. lack of money means lack of money for players, so don't blame the owner for not bankrupting himself for a payroll the fans wont support. Like most things in life you get what you pay for

Huh? that's like making a movie and cheaping out on everything and then blaming the people that don't come to see your shitty movie for you having had to cheap out on everything.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Huh? that's like making a movie and cheaping out on everything and then blaming the people that don't come to see your ****ty movie for you having had to cheap out on everything.

No, its like every business on the planet, you cut costs untill you bring in more money or you go broke. We had EK and a long playoff run and people didn't show. It's a fairly basic concept, I am not sure what the huh? Is for.

Or let me guess your a millennial and you think money gets pooped out of the sky.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
No, its like every business on the planet, you cut costs untill you bring in more money or you go broke. We had EK and a long playoff run and people didn't show. It's a fairly basic concept, I am not sure what the huh? Is for.

Or let me guess your a millennial and you think money gets pooped out of the sky.
Except that the NHL is not like every business on the planet; this is a hobby for the very rich. And it is not being run like a proper hockey team. And Melnyk is a liar.

Reactions: billpo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad