Speculation: Melnyk Breaking Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Just got an email that more freebies are on the way.

These tickets are for those who could not go to the preseason game due to the tornadoes . A choice of a pair that was not used in a similar area to your seats.

A nice gesture for sure. Wonder how they will find seats for all these people affected lol

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Haven't checked the schedule much as it's hard to care about an assuredly failed product here but I'm looking forward to those mid week games in the colder months against lesser opponents where we will get down easily below 10k and maybe with a few more Melnyk public appearances and a Stone, Dzingle or Duchene free giveaway, dare I say below 5k attendance wise? Not a term I like to toss around lightly but I hate the owner and anything that can be done to expedite his banishment from our fine city I'm on board with.

Last edited:

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

These tickets are for those who could not go to the preseason game due to the tornadoes . A choice of a pair that was not used in a similar area to your seats.

A nice gesture for sure. Wonder how they will find seats for all these people affected lol

More like a face saving gesture in lieu of #EmptyCTC. Whomever is going should enjoy the game regardless, Melnyk is financially bleeding already, the freebies are a by-product of unsold seats.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
on. Hockey in Kanata with him as owner is not going to work. He’s either gotta sell or get downtown. The time has come, like in any other business, to reinvest in your product. There’s no cheap way out of the current situation.

Don't know if you've heard, but Eugene Melnyk's Rendezvous Lebreton Group entered into the bidding process to win the rights to purchase land at Lebreton Flats, with the intentions of building a NHL arena (without any public money) .. a few years ago, and won the bidding process this past January, and is in negotiations with the NCC (mainly) and the City to work out a purchase price to the land in Lebreton Flats, and "shovels in the ground" are expected at some point in 2019.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Haven't checked the schedule much as it's hard to care about an assuredly failed product here but I'm looking forward to those mid week games in the colder months against lesser opponents where we will get down easily below 10k and maybe with a few more Melnyk public appearances and a Stone, Dzingle or Duchene free giveaway, dare I say below 5k attendance wise? Not a term I like to toss around lightly but I hate the owner and anything that can be done to expedite his banishment from our fine city I'm on board with.

The problem is this is unlikely to make him want to sell, the money is in Lebreton so he'll hold on until that happens.

I'm still onboard with the boycott but I also am not under the illusion that it will do anything. Still, I don't like being lied to so **** Eugene.

Reactions: czechcanadian

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
The problem is this is unlikely to make him want to sell, the money is in Lebreton so he'll hold on until that happens.

I'm still onboard with the boycott but I also am not under the illusion that it will do anything. Still, I don't like being lied to so **** Eugene.

It will make Melnyk lighter in the pocket, inaction is the worst thing to do. There is nothing else the fans can do to "potentially" oust the owner. In any case, it's a matter of principle for me at this point. Melnyk doesn't care about the fans or the on-ice product, and he has been bulldozing this team of assets in the name of a rebuild (i.e. liquidation). #MelnykOut billboards and social media may hurt his ego, but attendance numbers directly hurt the egomaniac's wallet.

#MelnykBoycott #EmptyCTC #MelnykOut

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The Sens are doing perfectly fine with the free tickets.

They aren't going to sell them, may as well reward those who have decided to re-up and those who were affected by an unavoidable circumstance like the tornadoes.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Imagine if people put this much effort into things that actually matter....

Super low attendance will not cause EM to sell, but it will be lame for the players and used by media and outside fans to embarrass Sens fans and Ottawa in general. Whether folks like it or not people are already bashing the city for this (Cherry) and it ends up being what most people hear.

I can respect people not wanting to spend money on something because they are unhappy with the product, but thinking it's going to do anything positive in a larger sense than allow individuals to spend their money elsewhere is foolish.

Some folks keep posting looking forward to small numbers, knobglobbing over the mere thought, when the only actual enjoyment will be from money saved, there is no chance EM sells the team, none, so if that's your motivation to 'boycott' you're wasting you time and energy.

Reactions: czechcanadian

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Don't know if you've heard, but Eugene Melnyk's Rendezvous Lebreton Group entered into the bidding process to win the rights to purchase land at Lebreton Flats, with the intentions of building a NHL arena (without any public money) .. a few years ago, and won the bidding process this past January, and is in negotiations with the NCC (mainly) and the City to work out a purchase price to the land in Lebreton Flats, and "shovels in the ground" are expected at some point in 2019.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's heard that.

Reactions: Sensational Ride

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
The Sens are doing perfectly fine with the free tickets.

They aren't going to sell them, may as well reward those who have decided to re-up and those who were affected by an unavoidable circumstance like the tornadoes.
I just received an email from my ticket manager and I also have free tickets on the way due to the pre season tornado game......great gesture and he seems to be really committed to rewarding the people who are still paying Sens fans....btw, they gave us a choice of three games to choose from. My kids get more freebie games....dare I say my kids think EM is the coolest owner.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I just received an email from my ticket manager and I also have free tickets on the way due to the pre season tornado game......great gesture and he seems to be really committed to rewarding the people who are still paying Sens fans....btw, they gave us a choice of three games to choose from. My kids get more freebie games....dare I say my kids think EM is the coolest owner.

I'm sure hes the best Sens owner they have ever seen. Poor kids.

Reactions: Liliaceae

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Wait, so last few years the argument was that papering the arena was bad and Melnyk was smart to stop the freebies... And this year the argument is that Melnyk is a genius to give away freebies?

When is giving away tickets going to be bad again? When Melnyk stops doing it again?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Wait, so last few years the argument was that papering the arena was bad and Melnyk was smart to stop the freebies... And this year the argument is that Melnyk is a genius to give away freebies?

When is giving away tickets going to be bad again? When Melnyk stops doing it again?
The argument changes to fit his narrative

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Except that the real figure is 12%-20% for the Toronto market. Plus, a significant factor is the cost is the land, which is 4x what it costs in Ottawa.

You also need to factor the increase in land value into the profits. Sure, they don't realise 100% of this value until they sell, but they will be able to leverage the increased worth of the property for liquidity needed for other projects. Having worked with a billionaire who owns large multi-unit residential properties in Ottawa I can tell you first hand that the value of the property is as important if not more important than any operating profits, because the increases in value has opportunity to be significantly greater than the operating profits.

Hey, I don't know what they will make. But Ruddy is a billionaire and he earned his billions from land developments, and as far as I know this is the largest development he has taken on...so it's pretty safe to say that he is going to make as much or more off this deal than any in his past, which have earned him a billion+.

so I did a fair bit of reading on condo profitability and 12 is the number I landed on. Its a publicly published number for the Toronto market. But it's 20 because you say so? you can't look at costs of land without also considering the sale price of the units. you don't really want to debate the relative strengths of this real estate market versus Toronto do you? hot markets = higher profitability for developers.

I get your point on real estate developement and it applies to Ruddy's business but it doesn't apply to an arena.

I've never, anywhere, read that Ruddy is a billionaire. I've looked for that info. can't find it and he's never been listed amongst Canada's billionaires. The man is extraordinarily well off but a billionaire. ... no there's nothing to verify that. Peter Gilgan from Mattamy is also involved in lebreton and he's a multi billionaire. he was my guess last month when the board was hot with rumours of an equity injection.

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018
so I did a fair bit of reading on condo profitability and 12 is the number I landed on. Its a publicly published number for the Toronto market. But it's 20 because you say so? you can't look at costs of land without also considering the sale price of the units. you don't really want to debate the relative strengths of this real estate market versus Toronto do you? hot markets = higher profitability for developers.

I get your point on real estate developement and it applies to Ruddy's business but it doesn't apply to an arena.

I've never, anywhere, read that Ruddy is a billionaire. I've looked for that info. can't find it and he's never been listed amongst Canada's billionaires. The man is extraordinarily well off but a billionaire. ... no there's nothing to verify that. Peter Gilgan from Mattamy is also involved in lebreton and he's a multi billionaire. he was my guess last month when the board was hot with rumours of an equity injection.

Peter Gilgan from Mattamy and Gilles Desjardins from Brigil were the 2 individuals that my sens did not confirm or deny. They are both current rendezvous partners.

That being said, a friend of a friend knows people at Trinity and was told they’ve seen absolutely nothing on lebreton. No work being done by staff, no studies, nothing.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I can confirm that neither Gilgan and Brigil are involved in the new money. It's still a work in progress and we may hear something in the next 6 weeks. Since then, the family has brought on board others to increase their stakehold. Two ex ottawa senators have recently jumped on board with their own money. This is starting to become a reality as EM needs to make restitution on a demand loan. Don't bash the messenger...see you at the game tonight!

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Peter Gilgan from Mattamy and Gilles Desjardins from Brigil were the 2 individuals that my sens did not confirm or deny. They are both current rendezvous partners.

That being said, a friend of a friend knows people at Trinity and was told they’ve seen absolutely nothing on lebreton. No work being done by staff, no studies, nothing.

RLG is currenlty in negociations with the NCC, on the final stages of the procurement process.......therefore the LeBreton redevelopment project still remains an open procurement process subject to commercial confidentiality, until the final deal is signed sealed and put into motion ..... so I'm not surprised that a friend of a friend who knows people at Trininty is not seeing anything happen at Lebreton Flats, as"Shovel in the ground" is still slated for 2019 ....... you have to remember, this is the NCC we're talking about ........ "regular" governments operate at a snails pace ...... the NCC moves even slower.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
God bless this thread and the really cool guys in it...#Wow #Whatatimetobealive #PaperingtheCTCwith"tornado"tickets #Lolwhatacrockofshit

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

The year of the "freebie". First we give away EK for nothing, now free tickets for everyone!!! Wait until Melnyk gives away Duchene, Stone and Dzingel for nothing. What a wonderful man Eugene Melnyk is!

Reactions: Henderson1972

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Super low attendance will not cause EM to sell, but it will be lame for the players and used by media and outside fans to embarrass Sens fans and Ottawa in general. Whether folks like it or not people are already bashing the city for this (Cherry) and it ends up being what most people hear.

Anyone agreeing with Don Cherry in this day and age are on the wrong side of the argument.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

Here is the reference for the 12-20%. Because it hammered the 12% I thought it might be the same as your source. Anyways, fair point about price, though the market is looking up. This was a good read. Not suggesting we are going to the be next TO, but promising outlook on the Ottawa market at least...and despite Lebreton/Zibi volume.

Agreed Ruddy's wealth is friggin elusive. I still think he must be close. All I find is success and huge charitable donations when you look him up:)

Another way to look at it I guess is that if Melnyk is not investing any cash into the project, then would not the cash for the stadium have to come out of the overall profit of the project? This has been eluded to in regards to funding the stadium with advance condo sales. If the project covers the stadium, is that not hundreds of millions?

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Anyone agreeing with Don Cherry in this day and age are on the wrong side of the argument.
And I’m pretty sure most NHL fans/reporters know Melnyk is a scumbag and are now even more aware of what a terrible owner he is. I’ve actually seen more support for Sens fans and the boycott, most seem to understand the reasoning now.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
And I’m pretty sure most NHL fans/reporters know Melnyk is a ******* and are now even more aware of what a terrible owner he is. I’ve actually seen more support for Sens fans and the boycott, most seem to understand the reasoning now.

I don't think you can claim "Most NHL fans/ reporters know Melnyk is a ____" ..... I doubt they even know who the owner of the Senators even is.

Do you know who the owner of the New Jersey Devils is (without looking it up)?
Do you know which team Tom Dundon owns (without looking it up)?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Do you know who the owner of the New Jersey Devils is (without looking it up)?
Do you know which team Tom Dundon owns (without looking it up)?

Melnyk has made an a$$ of himself on multiple occasions on a National platform where fans from across the league took notice. Have you not seen the Boro video yet?? You know, the one that fans across the continent are still laughing about? He also used a National stage at the outdoor game to publicly threaten to move the team, everyone knows who he is.

Nobody knows who owns the Devils because they operate like a normal professional sports team should by spending money on their team even though their building is empty on most nights.

Everyone knows that Tom Dundon owns the Hurricanes because the media have been on him since he acquired the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensational Ride

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Obviously the point was that this is one of the major opinions being floated out into the hockey universe. Like him or lump him, his opinions get national, and US coverage. Ottawa fans can't expect people outside of Ottawa to know or much care about the state of ownership of the Sens, and really, at the end of the day fan outrage stems from an owner who isn't spending as much money as fans would like. It's not exactly a universal rallying cry.

Boycotting the Sens is reasonable as a personal decision to punish the Sens organization for not running the team the way you personally want. The major reward is having whatever monies you've freed up to spend elsewhere.

Expecting this boycott to somehow force EM to sell the team is ridiculous. There are several posters on here that are legitimately withholding money, and there are many who don't spend any money anyways, watching games at home as usual, and who are 'contributing' by being loud on the internet. There won't be any grand reward for boycotters, you have to be able to find that personally; more money in pocket, more time for family, less time on the team forum ;)

Let's be real though, you're not doing anything worthy of accolades, you're simply not spending money on something you don't enjoy... I mean, good on you guys, but let's not play the social struggle here. You're all going to have to wait like the rest of us for a potential cash injection based on the Lebreton deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad