Speculation: Melnyk Breaking Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
75 mil?
Correct me if im wrong here, but we've never exceeded 70 in actual salary iirc. Cap hit we have obviously but thats irrelevant.

Not talking specifically about Ottawa, just teams in general

Reactions: Gesus

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
This thread would be much less embarrassing for the fanbase as a whole if there weren't so many ridiculous "us vs them" posts.

... from both sides.

To the "pro-Melnyk and/or anti-boycott and/or you-know-who-you-are" side, the constant antagonizing of people for making a moral stance on this issue is nothing short of baiting and trolling. Being on one side of a debate is one thing. Constantly criticizing other people's fandom over this issue is patronizing, belittling, and does nothing but drive a wedge into the fanbase. You know that more often than not, attacking someone's fandom is going to lead to an emotional rebuttal, not a well-reasoned one. It's a cheap, petty debate tactic that is very transparent. You should know better. Also: "Whataboutism" isn't a valid argument. Stop doing this.

To the "anti-Melnyk and/or pro-boycott and/or you-know-who-you-are" side, constantly trying to answer an argument by dismissing it due to "gaslighting" or "astroturfing" is completely unproductive, and doesn't lead to discussion, only arguments. If an idea is good, it should hold up to critique. Conversely, if an idea is bad, it should easily crumble when put under scrutiny. If someone presents an idea you don't agree with or think it is bad, argue the idea, not the poster. If they are arguing without integrity or using logical fallacies to try to prove their side of a debate, point it out and refuse to argue any further. If anyone is truly "gaslighting" or "astroturfing" the boards, it will come out in the wash eventually, and it will be through good debate and proper counter-arguments, not accusational threats.

To both sides: responding to one point of a debate by simply ignoring it and carrying on without acknowledging those points, and consistently changing the context of the discussion in order to avoid a critique of your side of a debate, makes you look bad. This is how you lose credibility in a debate. Don't do this.

I just find the debate funny at this point. We know where most people stand, and now its just yelling into the empty void at one another. :laugh:

Unfortunately, you won't really know the results of anything until the future.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I just find the debate funny at this point. We know where most people stand, and now its just yelling into the empty void at one another. :laugh:

I think that's the really frustrating part. None of this is even really debating the issues anymore. It's just bickering, baiting, making stupid ad hominem attacks and spamming bad arguments in the hope that everyone is exhausted enough that they'll stick.

It's also the same half-dozen or so people derailing the discussion all the time. I have a hard time believing that they don't actively know they're doing it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Its getting to be completely ridiculous, I don't come here to read petty disputes.

Danythegod

Jun 25, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Hopefully everyone on both sides can rise up to the level of maturity and keep a proper discussion going without letting their pride get hurt from online discussions..

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I think this thread has run long enough as the last page or two is nothing but debating posting habits. We can reopen a discussion when there's something concrete and new to talk about.

Reactions: Danythegod
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad