Speculation: Melnyk Breaking Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Look, despite your obvious deliberate missing of the point, there's no superstar player for the team to market anymore the way they could (but frequently didn't) use Karlsson.

They did use EK65, to market the team ....... and fans failed to show up.

But to suggest, like the poster I replied to, that EM is "the face of the franchise" is just ridiculous ...... and for you to come down on his side is equally ridiculous.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

But to suggest, like the poster I replied to, that EM is "the face of the franchise" is just ridiculous ...... and for you to come down on his side is equally ridiculous.

The San Jose Sharks have marketed Erik Karlsson better in the past month than the Ottawa Senators ever did. Its a shame really.

Sensfan5

Apr 20, 2013
Ottawa

When I speak to strangers about hockey and then the topic of my fandom comes up, they basically all say a variation of “im sorry for you guys, the owner sucks”. When the owner is the first thing that comes to mind regarding the sens, I think that it’s an indication as to who the face of the franchise is.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
you know this whole attendance versus investment thing is a chicken and egg story.
Melnyk wants to make it seem that way, but it really isn't. The gas lighting sure is working on some of you though.

It's a simple case of Melnyk poisoning the well. Yet you and the usual suspects refuse to accept that reality.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Ferrari pics on the way?

Rest of the post, not even gonna touch that. One of the more ridiculous things I've read on here lol
The car was there last home gam The car was there At the home opener, and it will be there at tomorrow’s game. Would love to see you there!

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The car was there last home gam The car was there At the home opener, and it will be there at tomorrow’s game. Would love to see you there!

You guys can come visit me later this afternoon and check out my sweet '06 Honda Element while I fill prescriptions at Shoppers Drug Mart if you want.

It'd be weird, but we could still talk hockey I guess.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
you know this whole attendance versus investment thing is a chicken and egg story.

is there a right answer to it? idk. the objective view of the data says the market is weak.

anyone could see that was a cinderella run....that's an excuse man....if it works for some people here good on ya but it is an excuse

Just a though, even a compromise maybe.

When you refer to the market as "weak", it can come across to some like: "to weak to be in the NHL", or "weakest int he NHL". I am not saying that you are insinuating these, just that it can be percieved that way.

Same as when a poster says that the market is "fine". Does fine mean it is top half in terms of viability, or does it mean it won't go into bankruptcy?

Can we agree that the sens are somewhere around the top end of the bottom 1/3 of teams in terms of viability?

ie:

Calgary
New Jersey
Columbus
Ottawa
Buffalo
New York Islanders
Winnipeg
Carolina
Florida
Arizona

Not an exact order as teams can move up/down this list from year to year. But based on revenues, I think it is safe to say that Ottawa would fall into the top half of this group most years.

I just get the feeling that most people here are shouting past each other sometimes when they actually agree.

"This market is weak and we will never compete with the big markets"

vs

"This market is fine compared to many other NHL markets and therefore relocation should not be an issue."

Therefore disagreement here is actually not about the market, but about what is realistically possible given the market.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Pfft. Forget about BonkTastic. Come check out my minivan with the dented door!

My wife likes to battle concrete pillars in parking garages. She's yet to win, but to her credit, she keeps on trying.

I'll let you take a selfie with the dent if you agree to take some of my Sens tickets as well.

I'm not expecting any takers... Especially now that Ceci is hurt.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
So it's not an " a chicken and egg story" when debating the attendance versus investment thing..... ok????
No it very clearly isn't as multiple people have already responded to you explaining.

It is extremely transparent to anybody paying any attention that this team isn't interested in competing, and is just treading water. They have cut salaries in everything, well before there was any issue with attendance. Add on some sprinkles of Melnyk's idiotic comments in there, and you turn off your customer base.

They decreased investing in their product and now they get to reap what they sowed and witness the decrease in customers. There is no question to what came first, what came first was Melnyk gutting investments in his company and alienating the fan base, what came second was less interest in his product and in turn less sales.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
No it very clearly isn't as multiple people have already responded to you explaining.

It is extremely transparent to anybody paying any attention that this team isn't interested in competing, and is just treading water. They have cut salaries in everything, well before there was any issue with attendance. Add on some sprinkles of Melnyk's idiotic comments in there, and you turn off your customer base.

They decreased investing in their product and now they get to reap what they sowed and witness the decrease in customers. There is no question to what came first, what came first was Melnyk gutting investments in his company and alienating the fan base, what came second was less interest in his product and in turn less sales.

So if you honestly believe he's purposely driving down the value of his franchise, and actively trying to dissuade customers from attending games?

If you honestly believe that, then what is his end game, his goal, to what purpose is he doing all what you claim he is doing, on purpose .......... explain the logic SVP.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Pick me up downtown, I could use a good summit.
P.m., your address to me, I’m going to go for a little drive this afternoon. If you want me to pick you up and go for a little tour, it would be my pleasure. I am being sincere!

Reactions: GoSensGo

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
P.m., your address to me, I’m going to go for a little drive this afternoon. If you want me to pick you up and go for a little tour, it would be my pleasure. I am being sincere!
I totally would but I am at work all day today haha

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
So if you honestly believe he's purposely driving down the value of his franchise, and actively trying to dissuade customers from attending games?

If you honestly believe that, then what is his end game, his goal, to what purpose is he doing all what you claim he is doing, on purpose .......... explain the logic SVP.

What is his end game? He threatened to move the franchise, why?

I think you're main problem is you think because this man owns an NHL franchise and is rich, is he is a good businessman, he's rational, he cares about the city , players and fanbase. You fall into the 'he's a great man' because of his wealth and by simply owning an NHL franchise so he's making logical choices and adding value to the team.

Most of see the opposite, but there is always a percentage of the population that admires rich people just for being rich and you are certainly in that category, that's why Melnyck is your boy.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
At this point in time , I would rather have Tkachuk over Hoffman, and Lajoie over Phaneuf. They are cheap because the direction of the team is going in that direction. Is that bad,,,now?

Roster needed stripping, it wasn't going anywhere and we need youth, energy and younger legs. I thought the knoweldgeable fans in Ottawa would support a rebuild. Or the haters just move on to the next agenda?

Agreed on the first part and I agree on the second part if done correctly and done for the right reasons, The Sens do not plan long term and have decided to term the $ reduction that's currently going on as a rebuild and are doing it for short term financially motivated reasons as oppose to aiming for long term success imo, that's the main issue I believe.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

So I specifically asked you in an earlier post about why you believe fans stopped attending.

You listed a lot of potential factors, pretty much all of which are controlled by the team:

Fan & Team Controlled
- people who don't like the owner and GM

Team Controlled
- the location and poor public transit connections
- overpriced tickets
- overpriced parking
- overpriced beer
- the new security measures that slow down entering into the CTC
- the length of time it takes to get out of the parking lot after a game.

Nobody Can Control
- Phoenix pay system
- the damage by the tornadoes could keep some people away while they re-build.

So i'll flip the question back at you...if the team is effecting these factors in a way that results in less attendance...what other reason could there be if it's not that the savings from the changes (ex:trading EK) or increased rev from the changes (ex: parking & concession increases) are greater than the loses of attendance?

If as you believe, EM has not intention on selling, then decreasing the value is not a concern in the short-term. All he has to do is cut more costs or gouge more from fans than the amount of lost gate revenue and EM comes out ahead. Okay, maybe the team sucks and the fans get shafted...but hey, we're a team!

Last edited:
Reactions: Danythegod

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
@coladin
@BankStreetParade

You are condescending and do not hesitate to berate the city and its people for not filling up the CTC - for a product that people are not interested in buying at its current state. Rather than just enjoying the rebuild as you claim, you are always fighting here. Coladin, I have pointed this out to you during a live preaseason game, where you were supposedly in person, quarrelling with other posters in this board.

Why are you here in this thread? Do you think this Melnyk strategy of demeaning and shaming the fans will bring them back?

I haven't seen many #MelnykBoycott posters actively initiating this sort of behaviour against those who choose to financially support Melnyk. Your money, your choice. Goes for all types of Sens fans, financial boycott or otherwise.

What is your motivation here? Honest question.

Condesecending is as condescending does.

It is a Melnyk thread. Just trying to add some balance. You berate those who go, and I berate those who don't, yet claim to be fans. I just don't believe it that passionate fans would not support the players.

I am here in this thread because I can. If you want to talk about the Melnyk breaking point, then this is what is should be about.

You guys can all do a private conversation and get your jollies out that way, don't know what else to say! :laugh:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Have you ever heard of the phrase " you get what you pay for"?

Well everyone knows that every owner that the Senators have had, since they returned to the NHL, has had to adhere to an internal budget, that reflects the econmic reality of the market, that the franchise has and is operated in.

The current owner has said that he is running the team on the revenues it generates, and that is his privilege as the owner, like it or not, but that's a fact you can't control, or change.

So he's not going to "give you the team you want" because the you, and the rest of the market can't afford it.

Just because some of us understand the economics of the market place and the reasoning behind how ALL the owners of the Senators have had to operate the franchise, does not mean we "support the current owner", we've accepted that he's a dooffus, and has very bad communication skills among a number of negative characteristics ........... but we can separate the owner, from the team, and support the team.

And IF there's an ownership change, there will be a honeymoon period, you and the EM haters will give the owner........ but sooner or later, you and the haters will recognize the new owner will fact the same economic issues of operating in a small (if not the smallest) Canadian NHL Market, and you will come to hate the new owner too.

However, once the team is relocated to Lebreton flats ........ some of the marketplace's economic hurdles will be removed, and it will get easier to operate an NHL franchise at that location .......... but you still won't get "the team that you want".
Get what we pay for huh???There is no team ,new arena ,tv deal or anything of value linked to the team without us....Yet even when the building was full ,all we got was excuses instead of actually trying to build up the brand by reinvesting in the team...

EM doesnt lose money off the team ,because if he did... He wouldnt still own it ,so this load or horse@#$ needs to stop ...So now when there is a huge deal coming up he proposes a full scorched earth rebuild,and takes even more from the fans to help ensure he makes even more damn money ...Then has the gall to cry foul ,f*** him and the horse he rode in on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad