Speculation: Melnyk Breaking Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
So the first two points aren't up for debate because we'll never know what could have been if only history had unfolded differently, but this third point is immune from that line of reasoning somehow?

Just my opinion. And we will never know if that opinion would actually happen. Some are entitled to think he would just put it in his pocket. I don't think they would.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
There are just too many similarities between you and the other poster and some other PMs I got from "Melnyk camp". You are failing in your attempts to attract fans to the stands by berating, demaning, and outright lying. Full time job for you guys based on some threatening PMs.

Pretty pathetic to be honest.
And again, berating , demeaning and lying is on you . List my PMs, I dare you to find a threat from me. Then we will see who the liar truly is. I would suggest retracting or clarifying.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Thread derailment at full speed thanks to the usual suspects. Yet the barn is getting emptier.

#MelnykBoycott #EmptyCTC #MelnykOut

Sorry Melnyk disciples, your boss is barely scratching the surface of the fans wrath. It's going to get worse.

Just a question: Isn't this the EM thread? How is it being derailed, I'm honestly curious as it seems like there is some good debate going on in here.

I think it's in really poor taste to insult people with differing opinion by labelling them as 'lovers' or 'disciples'. Try and find a way where you can be respectful of divergent opinions on an issue that is obviously not as cut and dry as you'd like it to be.

There is not a single poster in here that is happy with the current ownership situation, and folks that don't share your exact perspective also have to deal with you slinging weak jabs in your posts.

You're better than that.

Personally I find it sad that people are getting excited at the team support dropping. I don't think they understand the breadth of the possible consequences. One thing I've noticed through all of this drama over the year is a complete inability for the fans in here to take an ounce of responsibility for the financial struggles the team has undergone, even though it's been like this from the start. Folks love getting all over EM for throwing some shade, and yet feel completely unabashed in doing so themselves.

It always takes two to tango, this is not a market that likes to spend, so ownership and money is always going to be an issue, as it has always been, until either show an inclination towards spending more, or an acceptance towards getting what they pay for which is a small market, budget team.

Can Ottawa realistically afford the level of completion they feel they deserve? 80 million?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
..September 18, 2018

Now I am a berating poster..whatever fits your narrative/Melnyk M.O. of lies and deceipt. Busted again pal.

Any time I ask questions about the point of these posters they attack me personally.

Lol.
LOL you have said worse, everyone here does at some point insult, I get a ton of abuse. Comes with the territory. But finding me saying you were shaking a baby rattler...I should have maybe said stop whining? :huh:

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
LOL you have said worse, everyone here does at some point insult, I get a ton of abuse. Comes with the territory. But finding me saying you were shaking a baby rattler...I should have maybe said stop whining? :huh:

Re-read your own little quote..u were actually complimentary, calling someone else a baby rattler shaker and using me as an example of one who is not. Lol.

Whatever fits your narrative, but I think we have hijacked this thread enough with this don't you agree?

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Just a question: Isn't this the EM thread? How is it being derailed, I'm honestly curious as it seems like there is some good debate going on in here.

The thread title reads "What is Melnyk's Breaking Point?"....which is what we are trying to discuss when not defending ourselves from the condemnation and demeaning posts from others berating us for not buying MELNYK, and I stress, MELNYK products. Deraling the topic..what's Melnyk's breaking point before he (breaks, sells, quits..).

Reactions: billpo

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
So ignoring finances, what are the Melnyk issues then since apparently nobody is allowed to complain about the money issues.

-Meddling in hockey ops. This is a major issue to have a guy so clueless about hockey getting involved in the actual hockey decisions.
-Not holding his staff accountable. Dorion is as much to blame for our situation as he is, hell maybe even more. He should have been canned by now. Same goes for the new pr team the moment they presented their fake rebuild sell plan that fell so flat on its face from step one of the Boro interview.
-Ego. His face being the first one we saw trying to sell the rebuild was possibly the biggest misfire of all. Why can't he understand that he's hated and that's not going to change. "All these people out here talking about moving the team"... THAT WAS LITERALLY FROM YOUR MOUTH EUGENE. Quote after quote after quote of antagonizing BS from him over the years.
-Blame. His tantrum at the outdoor game was his death knell in Ottawa as far as a positive personal relationship with the fans go. Justified or not, that was obviously not how you relay the message if you care at all about your public perception anymore and he got what he deserved in the media slamming. There are so many better ways to get that message out there than just threatening to move the team full stop.
-Lies. We've gotten used to the white lies over the years with things like "We're going for it" on money in money out deals as if we're stupid. That's the least of it though, the whole Karlsson 6 month long set of lies trumps everything.
-Clashing with iconic players and staff. Alfredsson and Karlsson are the two most beloved players in the history of the franchise and he drove them both out. Twice for Alfredsson. Tom Anselmi and Cyril Leeder.
-Using public status for organ donation. His family urged him to, but it was still his decision to use his celebrity/rich status to manipulate the situation. I will at least commend him for trying to do good with a foundation after the fact, but that doesn't excuse it imo.
-Public support of sexual predator Bill O' Reilly.
-Saddled the team with debt from the moment he bought them thus crippling the financial situation. Yes it may be normal operations for a lot of NHL teams, but it obviously impacts our ability to operate competitively.

Anything else?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Finances are always a factor in a rebuild. Management is saying "guys, we are going nowhere with a 75M payroll and still missing the playoffs. Let's trip it down and start over because we are losing, and spending a lot of money losing".

Source?? Is that what management is saying? Is that what Dorion was saying after he set his rebuild back a few years by trading a good chunk of the future for a guy who has an expiring contract this year, including the potential first overall pick this year?

Dorion did whatever he could to save his a$$ and his job. Nothing more, nothing less.

I also have no source, but I am sure that a good majority of fans would agree with my POV over yours.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Source?? Is that what management is saying? Is that what Dorion was saying after he set his rebuild back a few years by trading a good chunk of the future for a guy who has an expiring contract this year, including the potential first overall pick this year?

Dorion did whatever he could to save his a$$ and his job. Nothing more, nothing less.

That can be any team, it was an example of what might be said when contemplating a rebuild

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Hey guys please don't disclose materials that have been shared in PM's.

And if the PMs are ill-natured or berating or threatening, they can be reported to the mods, and appropriate action will be taken.

Also, please simmer down in here. Stop the personal attacks and trolling. A few dozen deleted posts now, more warnings to follow if it keeps up.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The thread title reads "What is Melnyk's Breaking Point?"....

Are you trying to suggest that this should be the first and only thread that only discusses the thread title, to the word, with no deviation?

Don't be silly, this is the ownership discussion thread.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
That can be any team, it was an example of what might be said when contemplating a rebuild

Obviously there are many reasons to cut costs during a rebuild, but cutting costs shouldn't be the main motivation behind rebuilding. Once again, lying to fans. We aren't rebuilding we are liquidating.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Obviously there are many reasons to cut costs during a rebuild, but cutting costs shouldn't be the main motivation behind rebuilding.

Agreed. That is where our opinions differ. I don't think money is first on the list. He is already scraping the floor as it is. Team was going nowhere with Hoff and Karl, not just because of them, but the whole team is a big mess that needs to be corrected. I would rather have Karlsson here, but if they can't sign him, they might as well start over.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
The masses are speaking. It’s as audible as a conversation from section 328 would have been on Wednesday night....

....if there was anyone there to have a conversation.

The masses are speaking. It sucks that so many bleeding-hearts, the same posters who said this was an HFBoards specific sentiment, are so upset by it.

I can imagine how frustrating this is. We’re frustrated, too.

Beer’s cold in the fridge for tomorrow’s matinee!

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
So ignoring finances, what are the Melnyk issues then since apparently nobody is allowed to complain about the money issues.

-Meddling in hockey ops. This is a major issue to have a guy so clueless about hockey getting involved in the actual hockey decisions.
-Not holding his staff accountable. Dorion is as much to blame for our situation as he is, hell maybe even more. He should have been canned by now. Same goes for the new pr team the moment they presented their fake rebuild sell plan that fell so flat on its face from step one of the Boro interview.
-Ego. His face being the first one we saw trying to sell the rebuild was possibly the biggest misfire of all. Why can't he understand that he's hated and that's not going to change. "All these people out here talking about moving the team"... THAT WAS LITERALLY FROM YOUR MOUTH EUGENE. Quote after quote after quote of antagonizing BS from him over the years.
-Blame. His tantrum at the outdoor game was his death knell in Ottawa as far as a positive personal relationship with the fans go. Justified or not, that was obviously not how you relay the message if you care at all about your public perception anymore and he got what he deserved in the media slamming. There are so many better ways to get that message out there than just threatening to move the team full stop.
-Lies. We've gotten used to the white lies over the years with things like "We're going for it" on money in money out deals as if we're stupid. That's the least of it though, the whole Karlsson 6 month long set of lies trumps everything.
-Clashing with iconic players and staff. Alfredsson and Karlsson are the two most beloved players in the history of the franchise and he drove them both out. Twice for Alfredsson. Tom Anselmi and Cyril Leeder.
-Using public status for organ donation. His family urged him to, but it was still his decision to use his celebrity/rich status to manipulate the situation. I will at least commend him for trying to do good with a foundation after the fact, but that doesn't excuse it imo.
-Public support of sexual predator Bill O' Reilly.
-Saddled the team with debt from the moment he bought them thus crippling the financial situation. Yes it may be normal operations for a lot of NHL teams, but it obviously impacts our ability to operate competitively.

Anything else?

This is so lame dude.

He specifically refused to allow his family to do this, when he was very close to dying his family insisted on using whatever they could at their disposal to save his life.

Would you do anything less for your loved ones? Would they do any less for you?

In response he turned around and started a foundation to use his money and influence to directly aid in other people to get transplants... Jesus.

The depth that people are willing to stoop to argue their narrative is astounding. Says less about EM and a lot about you.

Last edited:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Agreed. That is where our opinions differ. I don't think money is first on the list. He is already scraping the floor as it is. Team was going nowhere with Hoff and Karl, not just because of them, but the whole team is a big mess that needs to be corrected. I would rather have Karlsson here, but if they can't sign him, they might as well start over.

Money is and always has been #1 on Melnyk's list.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Discuss, don't demean and berate the city and the people like Coladin and mysens and 3 others. What's their point?

I think that they are upset because the team is suffering. You need to understand that not everyone sees a boycott as a viable means of getting new ownership. Some people view this more as petty vengeance that is causing far more harm on a grand scale than good.

Reactions: mysens

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Finances are always a factor in a rebuild. Management is saying "guys, we are going nowhere with a 75M payroll and still missing the playoffs. Let's trip it down and start over because we are losing, and spending a lot of money losing".

It is a factor most of the time. Not every time. And just one of many factors. Whether it is first on your list or second or third, I don't think it makes much difference, to me anyways, because rebuilds have many factors.
75 mil?
Correct me if im wrong here, but we've never exceeded 70 in actual salary iirc. Cap hit we have obviously but thats irrelevant.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I think that they are upset because the team is suffering. You need to understand that not everyone sees a boycott as a viable means of getting new ownership. Some people view this more as petty vengeance that is causing far more harm on a grand scale than good.

So the posters being berated and not buying Melnyk products are not suffering enough? So you need these "sufferers" who are "enjoying the rebuild" to come and add coal to the fire. Really?

Wow.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
This thread would be much less embarrassing for the fanbase as a whole if there weren't so many ridiculous "us vs them" posts.

... from both sides.

To the "pro-Melnyk and/or anti-boycott and/or you-know-who-you-are" side, the constant antagonizing of people for making a moral stance on this issue is nothing short of baiting and trolling. Being on one side of a debate is one thing. Constantly criticizing other people's fandom over this issue is patronizing, belittling, and does nothing but drive a wedge into the fanbase. You know that more often than not, attacking someone's fandom is going to lead to an emotional rebuttal, not a well-reasoned one. It's a cheap, petty debate tactic that is very transparent. You should know better. Also: "Whataboutism" isn't a valid argument. Stop doing this.

To the "anti-Melnyk and/or pro-boycott and/or you-know-who-you-are" side, constantly trying to answer an argument by dismissing it due to "gaslighting" or "astroturfing" is completely unproductive, and doesn't lead to discussion, only arguments. If an idea is good, it should hold up to critique. Conversely, if an idea is bad, it should easily crumble when put under scrutiny. If someone presents an idea you don't agree with or think it is bad, argue the idea, not the poster. If they are arguing without integrity or using logical fallacies to try to prove their side of a debate, point it out and refuse to argue any further. If anyone is truly "gaslighting" or "astroturfing" the boards, it will come out in the wash eventually, and it will be through good debate and proper counter-arguments, not accusational threats.

To both sides: responding to one point of a debate by simply ignoring it and carrying on without acknowledging those points, and consistently changing the context of the discussion in order to avoid a critique of your side of a debate, makes you look bad. This is how you lose credibility in a debate. Don't do this.

Reactions: billpo and armani

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
This is so lame dude.

He specifically refused to allow his family to do this, when he was very close to dying his family insisted on using whatever they could at their disposal to save his life.

Would you do anything less for your loved ones? Would they do any less for you?

The depth that people are willing to stoop to argue their narrative is astounding. Says less about EM and a lot about you.
Dude, you're entitled to your opinion, but no its not some ridiculous argument because in the end he still gave the go ahead to do what they did. I don't agree at all with it. Even if you're laying there on your death bed, you don't have the right to use your social status to do something like he did. Rich celebrities do not deserve special treatment regardless of how badly they need it or how much they think they deserve it over normal folk. My mom could have used a platform like that too, but instead she'll face the same consequences the rest of the middle class do.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad