Speculation: Melnyk Breaking Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I meant maybe only gen x and the start of gen y use it and not Millennials, but I guess if you're in your late 20s that makes you a millennial? I have no clue what a millennial is tbh, seems every definition I hear just makes it larger, it's like the borg, assimilating all generations...

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
But you would agree they are 90% pro ownership.

No, of course not.

I think the majority of fans think EM is a bit of a doofus, and understand that no matter how they feel about him, he's the owner until he decides he no longer wants to be, and don't stay up night, losing sleep about him ........ like the haters do.

Sure, if he sells the team, most people would welcome the change ......... but it would take about a season or two for the EM haters to start to hate the new owner.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
If Melnyk were to fade into the background as owner and not make foolish comments or asinine videos, most people would not care about ownership. He brings this on himself. I don’t care for him but I don’t feel any hatred.

And winning is cyclical. The team can turn things around soonish. The young players are really impressing me.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If Melnyk were to fade into the background as owner and not make foolish comments or asinine videos, most people would not care about ownership. He brings this on himself. I don’t care for him but I don’t feel any hatred.

And winning is cyclical. The team can turn things around soonish. The young players are really impressing me.
Yup. His personality and need to be a face for this franchise does as much if not more damage than not spending more.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Ok, so now you've moved the goalposts, first, he's changing his moral code by accepting tickets when it's convenient, now, you say well, actually, to achieve the desired results, he needs to go further in the level of boycott.

The reality is a choice to boycott is personal, and the degree one chooses to boycott a company can vary. You can chose not to buy anything, you could extend that to refusing also to attend games, you could extend that to not watching games on tv, and further to refusing to wear any of the swag you already own, you could extend that to also boycotting sponsors and so on. People choose the varying degrees of boycotting depending on how much pressure they wish to exert, and how much collateral damage they are willing to live with. There's no wrong way to boycott so long as you're consistent and the action could logically contribute to your desired end result.

So this is the most milquetoast boycott in all of history because the boycotters can't even be bothered to agree on what constitutes a boycott?

Wasn't the whole point of promising Melnyk the financial pain for his decisions and abstaining from attending games meant to generate the conversation of an empty arena and what the reasons for it are? If people continue to show up because tickets are free, the whole boycott is being undermined.

How is that moving the goalposts? This is a guy with #MelnykOut in his avatar. And yet I don't have the right to question him about attending a game whether his tickets were free or not?

Anyway, enough time has been spent on this subject. This boycott most likely won't achieve anything because there's clearly very little unity behind it. And people can choose to believe whatever they want about their actions and the results that are coming from it. One thing is for sure, as long as people keep showing up to games, whether with paid tickets or not, this boycott is going nowhere and fast.

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
All the "old" people(40+), that have no idea about HF or twitter, at my work are fully on board with boycotting and are completely against Melnyk. These are people that went to a decent amount of games each year. Not just one $15 ticket per season. Think 3-10 games a year.

hey, watch it. I represent that.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I guess if you judge the quality of the product exclusively by the depth they go in the playoffs, he provided a great product. But most people can tell a Cinderella run when they see one and recognize when the the carriage is going to turn back into a pumpkin.

I mean, if you couldn't tell the run wasn't sustainable, that's on you, not the fans that saw through it, but when the team let Methot go and didn't make any attempt to replace him, the only direction anybody could rationally expect the team to go was down.

The product has been left to rot long before the cup run, the warning signs have been there for quite a while. Time after time, we opted for the cheapest option on the coaching market. We let veterans go without replacing them (Gonchar, Spezza, Methot, MacArhur to LTIR, ect) we run a skeleton crew.

Bright business men like Warren Buffet would never let it get to that state. Bright business men know they can't cut corner after corner and expect to yeild positive results long term.

you know this whole attendance versus investment thing is a chicken and egg story.

is there a right answer to it? idk. the objective view of the data says the market is weak.

anyone could see that was a cinderella run....that's an excuse man....if it works for some people here good on ya but it is an excuse

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
No, of course not.

I think the majority of fans think EM is a bit of a doofus, and understand that no matter how they feel about him, he's the owner until he decides he no longer wants to be, and don't stay up night, losing sleep about him ........ like the haters do.

Sure, if he sells the team, most people would welcome the change ......... but it would take about a season or two for the EM haters to start to hate the new owner.
Pro owner lose sleep over owner haters though
Unfortunatly rest is not a weapon anymore

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Pro owner lose sleep over owner haters though
Unfortunatly rest is not a weapon anymore

Don't think there are any pro owner posters around here .......... just some people who understand the situation, and don't get their knickers in knot ...... and some who seek out anything and everything, so they spin it into their "hate the owner" narrative.

Some of us support (financially) the players/team despite the owner and how we feel about him .......... the team is greater than the owner.

Reactions: mysens

Sensfan5

Apr 20, 2013
Ottawa
Don't think there are any pro owner posters around here .......... just some people who understand the situation, and don't get their knickers in knot ...... and some who seek out anything and everything, so they spin it into their "hate the owner" narrative.

Some of us support (financially) the players/team despite the owner and how we feel about him .......... the team is greater than the owner.

Not when the owner is the face of the franchise.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Not when the owner is the face of the franchise.

Hummm, did not notice any ads, for the Senators, with EM front and center?????

This isn't him is it?

43672918_10156649112534477_6601886624018071552_n.jpg

or this?

42044639_1961871360547949_9021313578132570112_n.jpg

perhaps this is him?

43750757_10156649084014477_8927719338740285440_n.jpg

The "Face of the Franchise" is in the eyes of the beholder ......... so if he is your choice, then so be it.

Last edited:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Hummm, did not notice any ads, for the Senators, with EM front and center?????

This isn't him is it?

43672918_10156649112534477_6601886624018071552_n.jpg

or this?

42044639_1961871360547949_9021313578132570112_n.jpg

perhaps this is him?

43750757_10156649084014477_8927719338740285440_n.jpg

The "Face of the Franchise" is in the eyes of the beholder ......... so if he is your choice, then so be it.

Remember the video, the season opening video to introduce the fanbase to the rebuild, do you forget whose face was front and center?

Reactions: Danythegod

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Hummm, did not notice any ads, for the Senators, with EM front and center????? [...]
The "Face of the Franchise" is in the eyes of the beholder ......... so if he is your choice, then so be it.​
Look, despite your obvious deliberate missing of the point, there's no superstar player for the team to market anymore the way they could (but frequently didn't) use Karlsson. Stone and Duchene are lost causes from a marketing standpoint because they're the two players most commonly linked to anti-Melnyk sentiment league-wide among people who know what they're talking about. Tkachuk is inevitably going to become the future face of the franchise, and while the team is clearly trying to accelerate that timeline it hasn't arrived yet. And even you're not so blinded as to suggest some random-ass fan and two kids are the face of the franchise.

For better or worse, when talking to your average fan in the know, Melnyk is the most commonly associated figure to the team. Among casual fans, I'll grant that they probably think of Stone or Duchene first. Maybe even Boro. But those fans aren't typically the ones who are buying tickets regularly. (Not that there's anything wrong with that... doesn't make them a "lesser" fan, just a different kind. And it takes all kinds to make a world.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig