News Article: McGuire: "Habs are in trouble"

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I admit I used to think Brian Savage was John LeClair 2.0. There was a time when I was convinced that as soon as the Habs got rid of him he would start scoring 50 goals a season...

I was the opposite (although I loved Savage). I thought Berezin would return to his 40 goal level.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's not true. Only one other team was in contention for Radulov. There's a difference.

Yes...the Habs lol

Like I said...whatever helps you feel better.

The interest in Radulov wasn't great...I said that would happen before free agency and people laughed at me.

Wasn't Vegas supposed to back the truck up for Radulov?

Pretty amazing what a large majority of the most vocal posters will try to brainwash others into thinking here.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
NHL GMs can be wrong. Only one team wanted Paul Byron, he made it all the way to the Habs waiver wire slot. Happens all the time.

Radulov matters in terms of the Habs' offensive woes. His departure also leaves more available cap space. It's about whether that cap space can be used to find an offensive replacement.

Only blemish in the current situation is that the Habs will have to give up assets to find someone comparable to Radulov, whereas with Radulov it was solely about money.

What if they give up assets and find someone better, rather than comparable (I know, imagine a world where someone is better than Radulov lol)?

What if Hudon surprises and puts up 30pts and Hemsky chips in with 25pts?

Does that 'replace' the one they call irreplaceable?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Rads scored 18 goals.

Jagr got 16....and he's almost 60. lol

:sarcasm:

just the season before Jagr scored 27.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
What if they give up assets and find someone better, rather than comparable (I know, imagine a world where someone is better than Radulov lol)?

What if Hudon surprises and puts up 30pts and Hemsky chips in with 25pts?

Does that 'replace' the one they call irreplaceable?

If you're going to start bandying around what-ifs then it goes both ways. What if Patches has a downer season or what if Drouin finds it tough under Julien's system. What if those two events and other disasters occur?

What-ifs belong in the land of fairy tales.

The reality is that MB lost Radulov. Plain & simple. And having traded away their one and only bluechip, they needed Radulov if they wanted to acquire that elusive top six centerman.

True they could have traded a 2nd and a 3rd for a Marcus Johansson but it seems MB was nowhere near that trade. One could speculate that a 2nd and 3rd for Marcus Johansson would be a better deal than 2 2nds for Shaw. But MB thought otherwise. Centers are so difficult to acquire - especially if you have your head up your you know what.

I'm slowly coming around to his detractors' evaulation of MB. This GM has absolutely no vision and the makeshift plan he does have is a convoluted, mind-numbing, three-card monte where he continuously outwits himself.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If you're going to start bandying around what-ifs then it goes both ways. What if Patches has a downer season or what if Drouin finds it tough under Julien's system. What if those two events and other disasters occur?

What-ifs belong in the land of fairy tales.

The reality is that MB lost Radulov. Plain & simple. And having traded away their one and only bluechip, they needed Radulov if they wanted to acquire that elusive top six centerman.

True they could have traded a 2nd and a 3rd for a Marcus Johansson but it seems MB was nowhere near that trade. One could speculate that a 2nd and 3rd for Marcus Johansson would be a better deal than 2 2nds for Shaw. But MB thought otherwise. Centers are so difficult to acquire - especially if you have your head up your you know what.

I'm slowly coming around to his detractors' evaulation of MB. This GM has absolutely no vision and the makeshift plan he does have is a convoluted, mind-numbing, three-card monte where he continuously outwits himself.

I don't think either of those "what-if" scenarios are that unlikely.

Point I'm trying to illustrate here is that Radulov isn't irreplaceable.

Having "no vision" would be investing 32M in a 31yr old winger when you have more pressing needs down the middle.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We need to move on from Radulov deciding on choosing another team vs the Habs. If Radulov wanted to be back, he would of signed with us as I am sure he was offered a very fair contract. Now... Where there is change, there is opportunity. That is a fact of life. Maybe we can acquire the center we need with the $10M in cap space we have how? Tavares has not signed with the Islanders, just imagine the possibilities. Yes, some possibilities are far fetched but there will be possibilities that present themselves. Habs are in position to capitalize on them which is the important part.

Drouin can replace Radulov and he is younger, faster, and cheaper. Would be nice to have Radulov back but having cap space to capitalize on a potentially available top 2 center in the next 6 months is not a bad situation. We still have all of our future picks and a large group of prospects to trade from as well.

McGuire is a idiot! Habs are not in trouble.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I don't think either of those "what-if" scenarios are that unlikely.

Point I'm trying to illustrate here is that Radulov isn't irreplaceable.

Having "no vision" would be investing 32M in a 31yr old winger when you have more pressing needs down the middle.

A need that he did not address with his trade of Sergachev so retaining Radulov should have been imperative.

How is he going to fill that need now? He is one asset shorter (two actually if Markov doesn't re-up). With Radulov in the formation, MB had more room to maneuver. Instead we're blessed with Hemsky who will regale us with tales of hospital waiting rooms and ORs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A need that he did not address with his trade of Sergachev so retaining Radulov should have been imperative.

How is he going to fill that need now? He is one asset shorter (two actually if Markov doesn't re-up). With Radulov in the formation, MB had more room to maneuver. Instead we're blessed with Hemsky who will regale us with tales of hospital waiting rooms and ORs.

Sergachev is an asset but he would not of made a impact for us winning games until 1 or 2 years from now. Who knows who he turns into at this stage. Acquiring Drouin was something we could not say no to.

Radulov walked. He used the Habs to get the best deal for him with Dallas. There was noting Bergevin could do but overpay ($7M+) for several years and I give Bergevin credit for not giving in. Habs don't need players who don't want to play for us. It was way to risky and affected our ability to acquire other assets down the road.

Hemksy is another low risk with potential of high return. Simple as that. No need to compare him to Radulov.

We have lots of cap space left. That is a good situation and Bergevin is going to use is wisely.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If you truly believe we aren't in trouble than you haven't been watching the Habs for the last two decades. Even if we had retained Rads, we would still be in trouble. Losing Rads just makes the situation even worse.

3 division titles in 5 years. We are not in trouble. We just not a top 5 cup contender. Learn to look at what you have, learn to live with it, and learn that we can get better.

I can't stand how some think we can tear this team apart and be the next Oilers or Leafs with rising young stars. How about you look at all the other teams that have struggled to rebuild and didn't win a lottery draft pick.

Habs are not in "trouble". We have holes in our line-up just like pretty much every NHL team. We need to ride out this current path we are on. Will we win a cup? Not likely but it's possible if we take advantage of circumstances. The key is keeping our options open. This is why Bergevin has decided not to mortgage the future with Radulov and Markov. He's waiting for our #1C. If you can't see this, your blind!

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
3 division titles in 5 years. We are not in trouble. We just not a top 5 cup contender.

The Capitals have been better than the Habs every year and haven't won anything. They are in trouble. Montreal is not as good as Washington.

It's so bad that the Canadiens just gave five years to a guy the Caps were scratching in the playoffs and rotating as a 7D. And will no doubt play in top four, probably on the first pair. And half the board is fine with that.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
3 division titles in 5 years. We are not in trouble. We just not a top 5 cup contender. Learn to look at what you have, learn to live with it, and learn that we can get better.

I can't stand how some think we can tear this team apart and be the next Oilers or Leafs with rising young stars. How about you look at all the other teams that have struggled to rebuild and didn't win a lottery draft pick.

Habs are not in "trouble". We have holes in our line-up just like pretty much every NHL team. We need to ride out this current path we are on. Will we win a cup? Not likely but it's possible if we take advantage of circumstances. The key is keeping our options open. This is why Bergevin has decided not to mortgage the future with Radulov and Markov. He's waiting for our #1C. If you can't see this, your blind!

Waiting? Ah he put an order in on Amazon or Ebay.

I don't know if English is your first language. It isn't mine so the point I'm about to make doesn't depend on your mother tongue.

Have you noticed the way you constructed your sentence? He's waiting for our #1 center. It's passive. He's not behaving like an active agent. It almost sounds like that #1 center is going to land in his lap if he just sits around and waits.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Waiting? Ah he put an order in on Amazon or Ebay.

I don't know if English is your first language. It isn't mine so the point I'm about to make doesn't depend on your mother tongue.

Have you noticed the way you constructed your sentence? He's waiting for our #1 center. It's passive. He's not behaving like an active agent. It almost sounds like that #1 center is going to land in his lap if he just sits around and waits.

Yes... you read what I said correctly. Wait and see what options come our way in the next 6 months. It's a chess match and we don't need to make drastic decisions at this stage. Let other teams spend up to their cap and lets sit and wait.

Duchene became available and 12 months ago nobody knew he would become available. There will be guys out there that become available that will fit right for us. Lets keep our options open. It's smart. Why? Because we are not in win now mode at all costs. I strongly believe our window to win is 5 years (+/-). Drastic times are coming but were not there yet.

Also: If this was a language or writing talent forum, I would not be here.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010

Honesty won't get you very far around here but I appreciate it.:yo:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Honesty won't get you very far around here but I appreciate it.:yo:

I refuse to resort to negative levels. To me it's dump and doesn't help our team. It only puts more pressure and this contributes to some or our problems with players not wanting to play for the Habs or planting a seed with our GM and he then makes stupid moves (think Burke with the Leafs).

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
Yes...the Habs lol

Like I said...whatever helps you feel better.

The interest in Radulov wasn't great...I said that would happen before free agency and people laughed at me.

Wasn't Vegas supposed to back the truck up for Radulov?

Pretty amazing what a large majority of the most vocal posters will try to brainwash others into thinking here.

How was the interest not great? If interest wasn't great, how come he got such a monster contract for his age? (The only factual measure of interest, since we have little to no information)
And didn't you get shut down when u posted that there is no interest , followed by tweets about how there where 10 teams looking at Radu?

What exactly is 'great' interest exactly? 5 team bidding war?
When was last time there was more then 2 teams bidding for a UFA? Would a third team bidding go from 'not great interest" to "great interest"?

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
I refuse to resort to negative levels. To me it's dump and doesn't help our team. It only puts more pressure and this contributes to some or our problems with players not wanting to play for the Habs or planting a seed with our GM and he then makes stupid moves (think Burke with the Leafs).
You are delusional if you think this fanbase, specifically this community, has any influence whatsoever over the Habs org and it's players.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You are delusional if you think this fanbase, specifically this community, has any influence whatsoever over the Habs org and it's players.

lol. You are the delusional one. Pressure from media and fan base does have influence. Why do you think players don't want play in Montreal at times? Because it snows in the winter only? Give me a break.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

after all Bergevin's moves so far, Habs have more holes right now than at the end of last season...

that alone is a SIGN of a team in trouble.

You don't see it because you don't want to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad