News Article: McGuire: "Habs are in trouble"

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Today I wore my purple socks (to honor the Great Bergevin) and it rained. Thus wearing purple socks cause rain.

You don't have "proof" what you have is DATA. Your interpretation of the said data is where the twisting happen, since you attribute the Habs success to Bergevin post-hoc: after this, therefore because of this.

The only twisting going on here is how your not admitting to stats by NHL.com. There is no interpretation, there is only simple facts of where we finished in the standings and where we drafted year after year.

Open your eyes. We are a better team. The only real debate here is how much better we are today vs 5 years ago.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
The only twisting going on here is how your not admitting to stats by NHL.com. There is no interpretation, there is only simple facts of where we finished in the standings and where we drafted year after year.

Open your eyes. We are a better team. The only real debate here is how much better we are today vs 5 years ago.

Well then stop dancing around the issue and give us actual proofs that Bergevin is the catalyst behind the change for better.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Struggle? The greatest collapse post 1967 expansion is not a mere "struggle". And no the Habs weren't the first team to lose their #1 goalie in the last 48 years.

How many of those teams got . 902 goaltending however

It's not that price was injured

Even a .917 sv% would have been enough to compete

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
How many of those teams got . 902 goaltending however

It's not that price was injured

Even a .917 sv% would have been enough to compete

I don't know, let's just start with Dallas who finished 2nd overall despite having .905 goaltending on that very same year.

But anyway, Bergevin solution was to acquire Ben Scrivens, so we don't need to go through 48 years of history to point finger and laugh.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
For the millionth time. NO HE DIDN'T!!

Doesn't really matter. He would be a joke of a GM. He's a fanboy who doesn't even have the respect of nerdy hfboarders, let alone his peers, or the players. Nobody would deal with him because he couldn't help himself from gloating over minor victories.

He might have some value in a scouting role, as long as he's not dealing with people.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Wut? Teams have 14 core players now...is this something you just made up?

That's never, whether here or through any other medium, been what its referred to.
Core players are your foundation, your pillars, players you build/re-build around. Teams usually have 4-6 players of the sort. I honestly don't know how someone can be here for this long and not be aware of the meaning behind the term "core".

I mean go have a look on the main boards -or any article for that matter- and see if you're definition is applied anywhere else.

Chicago's core was Kane, Toews, Panarin, Keith, Seabrook (before his falling off a cliff) Crawford.
Pittsburgh's core is Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang, Murray. (You could make an argument for Guentzel)
When people refer to the core MB inherited. They obviously refer to Price, PK, Pacioretty, Markov and the 3rd ov. pick. Not the 14 players you mention. I don't know what's so difficult to understand here.
So basically if galchenyuk wasn't chose an it was grigorenko instead it wouldn't have been mb fault cuz he inherited the pic?

As for core pieces if you like to choose those qualifications

Wouldn't drouin and galchenyuk count? Weber? I mean it's not like we started with 4 and ended with 2

Weber drouin galchenyuk price and patches are our 'core pieces'

But the rest of the list beit prospects or secondary has vastly improved

Bourque eller emelin gorges cole DD Gomez gionta are much weaker then the lehkonen petry benn Byron danault and shaw

So the improvement is def there.

We finished top 10 every season except one and that one season Brought us sergachev which became drouin

I can try to convince you the team is improved but it's pointless

We had no prospects to trade for help we had no b prospects even

He used his first ever 2nd rounder to get vanek which certainly was helpful during our run

He got rid of Diaz to get Weise which then turned into danault

It took Nill what.. 7 years to get. A legit goalie

And 1C is much harder to find

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Not ignoring, I just don't have time to look every hour of the day to see if there is a reply.

No, I did not admit Bergevin has failed to take us to a top 5 contender. That's your opinion, not mine. I believe Bergevin has taken us from a bubble playoff team to a top 10 NHL team but were stuck at that level at the moment. This doesn't mean we can't still improve our core as time moves forward in our 5 year (+/-) window to win.

You literally just said - and I quoted you in the very post you responded to - that we are not a top 5 contender.

How on earth can these two things coexist in your mind?

1.) the habs are not a top 5 contender (after 5 seasons and going on 6 off seasons of Bergevin's management)

2.) Bergevin has not failed to take us to a top 5 contender

Howwwwwwww?

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
I don't know, let's just start with Dallas who finished 2nd overall despite having .905 goaltending on that very same year.

But anyway, Bergevin solution was to acquire Ben Scrivens, so we don't need to go through 48 years of history to point finger and laugh.

That Same goaltending had them out in first round and miss the playoffs with the exact same team in front of them the following year

The biggest mistake MB made was to not sell early that season and crash into last place and try to land Matthews or Laine

In fact we swept Toronto that season if they had swept us instead maybe we'd have Matthews today

Goaltending like that doesn't help you win and Dallas is a prime example

It may work for a while but eventually it'll crumble

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Yeah, I hate it when a lack of good goaltending causes my team's goal scoring to dry up to 1.0 GPG for 2 months straight.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
If this is true, the most frightening part is that if he had signed them, and the Habs matched... He would still be a Hab today. Maybe.

Weber signed an offer sheet and Subban didn't even want to look at them. Tells you all you need to know about Weber. I know it's not Weber's fault he got traded for Subban but I was never a fan of his to begin with and I like him even less now that he's a Hab.

And yes Mcguire is a tool but he isn't wrong this team is a mess.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Mcguire is a nut job but he is not wrong about Montreal being in trouble, anyone not wear homer glasses can look at this team and see that he is right. In my opinion our game suffered last year with our new look defence and now the thought of not having Markov makes things all the more bleak. We lack 2 top 6 centers and we just lost our most creative/gritty/talented forward and replaced him with Alice Hemsky, it is almost impossible to grasp that what look so full of promise when Bergevin took over as gm has now crumbled to this. We will be in the bottom 15 teams in this league in 2017-18.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Mcguire is a nut job but he is not wrong about Montreal being in trouble, anyone not wear homer glasses can look at this team and see that he is right. In my opinion our game suffered last year with our new look defence and now the thought of not having Markov makes things all the more bleak. We lack 2 top 6 centers and we just lost our most creative/gritty/talented forward and replaced him with Alice Hemsky, it is almost impossible to grasp that what look so full of promise when Bergevin took over as gm has now crumbled to this. We will be in the bottom 15 teams in this league in 2017-18.

You
Mean replaced by drouin

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Weber signed an offer sheet and Subban didn't even want to look at them. Tells you all you need to know about Weber. I know it's not Weber's fault he got traded for Subban but I was never a fan of his to begin with and I like him even less now that he's a Hab.

And yes Mcguire is a tool but he isn't wrong this team is a mess.

Was Subban ever presented an offersheet? Seems like an urban legend.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
-Serious lack at Wing??? huh

PAcioretty Drouin Galchenyuk are all 60 pt players

Gallagher and lehkonen are top 6 forwards...

I still think Glachenyuk becomes our top 6 C

if he does... and keeps putting up points like he has the past 2 c... improving every year.... we have much fewer questions

Pacioretty-Chucky -Gallagher

Drouin_ ??????-- Lehkonen

byron---danault---Shaw

We project Chucky has a #1 Center every year and it never happens. I don't see it happening now.

2 Habs scoring 60 pts has happened 3 times in the last 10 seasons. Basically, it's rather rare.

Gallagher had a measly 29 pts in 64 games last year. Nothing impressive for a top 6 guy.

We have a goal scoring problem... and we haven't solved anything

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
No he means Hemsky. Drouin replaced Sergachev in terms of young talent, were they not traded for one another?! In terms of older UFAs, Hemsky replaced Radulov. Small to moderate gain on the former, ridiculously bad loss on the latter.

Yeah, exactly, Dallas and Montreal basically made a trade; Radulov for Hemsky! They replace each other... think about that for a microsecond and tell me which player you would rather have.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
If he didn't do it, there would be so much belly aching about losing Radulov. Thank goodness he did what he did.

If he didn't do it, maybe we wouldn't be as worried right now as we are about D. Long term, we had Sergachev pencilled in to eat first pairing minutes what, 2-3 years down the road?

Losing Radulov was going to sting one way or another, having Drouin just shifts a massive hole in the lineup to #1 LHD.

As it is now, I'd like to know if Karl **********ing Alzner is our definite long term #1 LHD. If it is, I'm gonna have flashbacks of the old Leafs Pylonesque D getting walked just watching our Habs all season.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Yeah, exactly, Dallas and Montreal basically made a trade; Radulov for Hemsky! They replace each other... think about that for a microsecond and tell me which player you would rather have.

It all depends on what we do with the 5.25million........that could really tell the tale.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad