News Article: McGuire: "Habs are in trouble"

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
lol. You are the delusional one. Pressure from media and fan base does have influence. Why do you think players don't want play in Montreal at times? Because it snows in the winter only? Give me a break.
The fact you lump media and fans together, is another indication of your delusions.

What might influence a player: having 28 mics stuffed to their face being asked what player had for breakfast.

What does not influence a player: your random opinions on a forum

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The fact you lump media and fans together, is another indication of your delusions.

What might influence a player: having 28 mics stuffed to their face being asked what player had for breakfast.

What does not influence a player: your random opinions on a forum

You don't get the point. Stay negative... you seem to like it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
A need that he did not address with his trade of Sergachev so retaining Radulov should have been imperative.

How is he going to fill that need now? He is one asset shorter (two actually if Markov doesn't re-up). With Radulov in the formation, MB had more room to maneuver. Instead we're blessed with Hemsky who will regale us with tales of hospital waiting rooms and ORs.

What does Sergachev have to do with what I wrote?

Would Sergachev alone, had gotten the Habs a #1C?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
How was the interest not great? If interest wasn't great, how come he got such a monster contract for his age? (The only factual measure of interest, since we have little to no information)
And didn't you get shut down when u posted that there is no interest , followed by tweets about how there where 10 teams looking at Radu?

What exactly is 'great' interest exactly? 5 team bidding war?
When was last time there was more then 2 teams bidding for a UFA? Would a third team bidding go from 'not great interest" to "great interest"?

No one shut me down...I said it was weird that there was no rumors of teams looking at Radulov.

Minutes later Lebrun posts a tweet saying as many as 10 teams have shown interest.

So it answered my QUESTION...it wasn't a STATEMENT.

As far as interest...only 2 teams came close to meeting Radulov's demands, the Habs and the Stars.

No other teams, expressed serious interest beyond kicking the tires.

This after i was laughed at for suggesting his market this summer wouldn't be as big as most thought.

You'd think that a player many here told me was the top UFA available, would have more than 2 teams bidding for him or not have to wait until July 3rd to sign his deal.

I remember it...Las Vegas was gonna back the truck up, surely they'd want to reunite him with Schipachev, they have a ton of cap, sure the 7yr offer I was so adamant against would be a no-brainer for Vegas.

Instead...NIET

We heard about the Pens...NIET

Panthers...NIET

Please..

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Radulov did very well in a relatively stingy free agent market. I believe only shattenkirk got a longer term, and his AAV is among the top. We can talk about interest level and whatnot, but what really matters is that he had leverage. Leverage from the Habs who really didn't want to lose an offensive weapon, and leverage from the stars who thought highly enough of him to match the Habs offer. If his checkered past played a factor in his compensation, then I cringe to think what he could have got (I doubt it could have been much more).

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Radulov did very well in a relatively stingy free agent market. I believe only shattenkirk got a longer term, and his AAV is among the top. We can talk about interest level and whatnot, but what really matters is that he had leverage. Leverage from the Habs who really didn't want to lose an offensive weapon, and leverage from the stars who thought highly enough of him to match the Habs offer. If his checkered past played a factor in his compensation, then I cringe to think what he could have got (I doubt it could have been much more).

Shattenkirk for a 4 year deal.

Only Radulov and Alzner got 5 year deals. The most term given to any UFAs this off-season.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
No one shut me down...I said it was weird that there was no rumors of teams looking at Radulov.

Minutes later Lebrun posts a tweet saying as many as 10 teams have shown interest.

So it answered my QUESTION...it wasn't a STATEMENT.

As far as interest...only 2 teams came close to meeting Radulov's demands, the Habs and the Stars.

No other teams, expressed serious interest beyond kicking the tires.

This after i was laughed at for suggesting his market this summer wouldn't be as big as most thought.

You'd think that a player many here told me was the top UFA available, would have more than 2 teams bidding for him or not have to wait until July 3rd to sign his deal.

I remember it...Las Vegas was gonna back the truck up, surely they'd want to reunite him with Schipachev, they have a ton of cap, sure the 7yr offer I was so adamant against would be a no-brainer for Vegas.

Instead...NIET

We heard about the Pens...NIET

Panthers...NIET

Please..
How can u seriously say there was little to no market for a 30+ year old player getting the contract he got?

Again, find me some comparables of UFAs getting into 3+ team bidding wars. Lebrun tweeting 10+ teams should of been a cue for you to let it go, instead you tripled down.

And again with the semantics. It wasn't a question, it was a statement in the sphere of "how come there aren't reports on his interest? I must be right" followed by being WRONG.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
3 division titles in 5 years. We are not in trouble. We just not a top 5 cup contender. Learn to look at what you have, learn to live with it, and learn that we can get better.

I can't stand how some think we can tear this team apart and be the next Oilers or Leafs with rising young stars. How about you look at all the other teams that have struggled to rebuild and didn't win a lottery draft pick.

Habs are not in "trouble". We have holes in our line-up just like pretty much every NHL team. We need to ride out this current path we are on. Will we win a cup? Not likely but it's possible if we take advantage of circumstances. The key is keeping our options open. This is why Bergevin has decided not to mortgage the future with Radulov and Markov. He's waiting for our #1C. If you can't see this, your blind!

What we have is a team that is weaker now than they were after we got eliminated (specially if we lose Markov). A team that has many holes. A team that isn't good enough to contend for the cup. A team that doesn't have the assets to get good enough via trade (i.e. a legit #1 C).

Sure, we are a good team. No question. But when going for the cup, you need that elite talent that can break down the barriers put in place during the playoffs. Whether that barrier is a hot goalie (our biggest problem), a juggernaut offense, stifling defense or some combination of. Sure, we now have Drouin...but like Ovi and Kessel, Drouin will need that C that will give him the perfect pass when he needs it. We don't have that. Heck, we arguably don't even have a #2 C let alone a #1 C. Duchene is probably not enough either.

And as for opportunities popping up because of the room in the cap by not 'wasting' it on Radulov...we were never in cap trouble. If need be we can dump a bunch of players to free up cap. Sure, we may not get good value for doing so, but if we can get a player like Traveras, it doesn't matter if we don't get good value. Just getting a player like that is more than enough. Unfortunately, the only way to get players like him is via UFA (when was the last time an elite superstar C become available via UFA?), drafted or traded. And we are too good to ever draft one (unless we are extremely lucky) and we don't have the assets to trade for one unless we trade a combination of players like Chucky + Patches and a bunch of draft picks which leave even more holes in our lineup (mind you, I'm not against doing such, it just won't ever happen). And our prospects are NOT good enough to be of much value in a trade. So that leaves UFA #1 C's to just...well, plop onto our laps. How often does that ever happen?

And who cares how other teams that have gone through rebuilds have failed. Doing so, at least, gives those teams a chance at a cup. We are just swimming in place and getting older while doing so.

So with all that said, how, in realistic terms are we going to get the assets we need to contend for the cup? How are we going to get that C?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What we have is a team that is weaker now than they were after we got eliminated (specially if we lose Markov). A team that has many holes. A team that isn't good enough to contend for the cup. A team that doesn't have the assets to get good enough via trade (i.e. a legit #1 C).

Sure, we are a good team. No question. But when going for the cup, you need that elite talent that can break down the barriers put in place during the playoffs. Whether that barrier is a hot goalie (our biggest problem), a juggernaut offense, stifling defense or some combination of. Sure, we now have Drouin...but like Ovi and Kessel, Drouin will need that C that will give him the perfect pass when he needs it. We don't have that. Heck, we arguably don't even have a #2 C let alone a #1 C. Duchene is probably not enough either.

And as for opportunities popping up because of the room in the cap by not 'wasting' it on Radulov...we were never in cap trouble. If need be we can dump a bunch of players to free up cap. Sure, we may not get good value for doing so, but if we can get a player like Traveras, it doesn't matter if we don't get good value. Just getting a player like that is more than enough. Unfortunately, the only way to get players like him is via UFA (when was the last time an elite superstar C become available via UFA?), drafted or traded. And we are too good to ever draft one (unless we are extremely lucky) and we don't have the assets to trade for one unless we trade a combination of players like Chucky + Patches and a bunch of draft picks which leave even more holes in our lineup (mind you, I'm not against doing such, it just won't ever happen). And our prospects are NOT good enough to be of much value in a trade. So that leaves UFA #1 C's to just...well, plop onto our laps. How often does that ever happen?

And who cares how other teams that have gone through rebuilds have failed. Doing so, at least, gives those teams a chance at a cup. We are just swimming in place and getting older while doing so.

So with all that said, how, in realistic terms are we going to get the assets we need to contend for the cup? How are we going to get that C?

Honest question... What's your solution to the problems you believe we have? Trade everybody and rebuild hoping we win lottery after lottery?

This is my solution to the problems you believe we have...

Rebuild HOPING for a future superstar << Keeping our core together and TRYING to improve our roster in the 5 year window we have to win.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site

While i agree with most of your assessment, I need to point out that Drouin is usually the puck carrier.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Honest question... What's your solution to the problems you believe we have? Trade everybody and rebuild hoping we win lottery after lottery?

This is my solution to the problems you believe we have...

Rebuild hoping for a future superstar << Keeping our core together and trying to improve our roster in the 5 year window we have to win.

The problem is how are we going to improve our team enough during that 5 years?

Unless we get that top C we aren't going no where. So the solution is to get that top C any way possible. Waiting for Traveras (or similar) to hit UFA is not a smart option. There is muuuch better chance of drafting such a player than just waiting for one to fall onto our laps via UFA. Trading is an option but the only way we can get one via trade is by trading a top core roster player or two, like Chucky, Patches, Weber, Price (yeah yeah, I know he's not trade-able). And no, our prospects (unless one goes bonkers and rockets to the top of the AHL prospects lists) aren't good enough other than as an add-on.
The other option is rebuild.

So, our options are:
1) Pray to God that one such player drops onto our laps
2) Trade main roster players for such a player
3) Rebuild.

And I don't know about you but #1) seems like a fools choice.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Yes they are in trouble of becoming a very entertaining NHL Elite Contender for the foreseeable future, IMHO!!!...:nod::nod::nod:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I don't see a cup in the habs future, but one good thing is the era of super teams is starting to fade. All those cheap contracts and back diving ones are getting flushed out. Whats left is the Pens with their Crosby/Malkin super contracts but they won't win the cup every year.

Its already started with McDavid taking home 12.5. Teams are not going to be able to get 5 or 6 stars on sick deals anymore. Basically have 2 or 3 guys on huge deals and the rest will be filler guys. When TOR is paying Matthews and Marner 10+ mill each they won't be able to trade for a "Kessel" to fill out their line up.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't see a cup in the habs future, but one good thing is the era of super teams is starting to fade. All those cheap contracts and back diving ones are getting flushed out. Whats left is the Pens with their Crosby/Malkin super contracts but they won't win the cup every year.

Its already started with McDavid taking home 12.5. Teams are not going to be able to get 5 or 6 stars on sick deals anymore. Basically have 2 or 3 guys on huge deals and the rest will be filler guys. When TOR is paying Matthews and Marner 10+ mill each they won't be able to trade for a "Kessel" to fill out their line up.

I'll beg to differ. You still have a select number of teams having won it more than once and within a short span. As for the cheap contracts vs. those being doled out now to superstar players, we can only know their true impact when the new CBA is negotiated.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Love how it's shaping up. Getting rid of the older players. We have a lot of young forwards up front and we are shedding salary at the same time. Solid summer so far with room to still make moves.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
We are fine. We have Price, 29 year old goal tender with wonky knees. His 10 mil over the next 8 years is hardly a concern.

Lefebvre and company will develop some "gamers".

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The model of successful teams that are capable of winning the SCC's during the Salary Cap Era, is teams that can augment a team built with two or three superstar players. Drafting, developing young players within the system has never been more important. As both the Pittsburgh & Chicago teams have shown these last few yrs. Evaluating talents and creating chemistry from within a system, with great coaching etc., are the most vital components necessary. The Habs having those components throughout the organization that Bergevin has built these last five yrs., IMHO!!!...:nod::nod::nod:

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
While i agree with most of your assessment, I need to point out that Drouin is usually the puck carrier.

I was going to say the same thing. Honestly, I doubt MB will do it, but I think JD and Chuck on a line, with Chuck as center could be deadly. JD would feed Chuck for the one timer. It's not the traditional scenario of the winger to center relationship, but a smart coach works with what he has and that is what CJ has .... a good play making winger and a good finishing center. Let them play together and watch the points pile up. Granted, they'll need a defensively responsible winger on the other side, but if the puck is in the offensive zone, the other team can't score. I guess it's not really up to MB, but more CJ, so, who knows. It just doesn't seem like his cup of tea either though.

Regardless, with that scenario, it leaves Danault as Patch's center. So, again, we are at a place where a good 3rd line center is carrying 1st line center duties. Oh well...

Anyway, to your point, yes, JD is play maker who can score. He doesn't need somebody to feed him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad