News Article: McGuire: "Habs are in trouble"

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
So basically if galchenyuk wasn't chose an it was grigorenko instead it wouldn't have been mb fault cuz he inherited the pic?

As for core pieces if you like to choose those qualifications

Wouldn't drouin and galchenyuk count? Weber? I mean it's not like we started with 4 and ended with 2

Weber drouin galchenyuk price and patches are our 'core pieces'

But the rest of the list beit prospects or secondary has vastly improved

Bourque eller emelin gorges cole DD Gomez gionta are much weaker then the lehkonen petry benn Byron danault and shaw

So the improvement is def there.

We finished top 10 every season except one and that one season Brought us sergachev which became drouin

I can try to convince you the team is improved but it's pointless

We had no prospects to trade for help we had no b prospects even

He used his first ever 2nd rounder to get vanek which certainly was helpful during our run

He got rid of Diaz to get Weise which then turned into danault

It took Nill what.. 7 years to get. A legit goalie

And 1C is much harder to find

Our core is Price, Weber, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Drouin. Which is exactly what I wrote.
And not -and I quote- "a core is top9 forwards + top5 D" as you claimed it was.

I didn't read the rest as its not relevant.

Last edited:

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
How many of those teams got . 902 goaltending however

It's not that price was injured

Even a .917 sv% would have been enough to compete

In the 26 games that followed the amazing start (19-4-3 with 90 goals scored), the Habs mustered only 50 goals.

They went from 19-4-3 (backups were 9-2-3) to 24-24-4 (5-20-1).

Blame the goalie all you want, in the end it was the coach that couldn't get his team to play together. The mental loss of Price hurt so bad, and with a coach like Michel Therrien, they had no chance.

I can't fathom what people don't understand about the 15-16 season. The coach is a failure, the GM double down on the coach and blamed the players indirectly with comments like "It's on me", which means he didn't get good enough players (what else does a GM do?).

I wanted MT and MB fired after the playoff exit against Tampa. I could not believe my eyes watching the Habs generate 4 goals in 4 games against Craig Anderson (5 total with an EN). Thank God for Price... Then to watch them play TB... Close games, but time and time again the Habs are on the wrong side of close games. Price can only do so much. 5 goals scored in 4 losses against Tampa that series. They came out flying in game 4, avoided the sweep. Game 5 was tight, but you're down 3-2 in the series, the team needs to put up more goals. Game 6... 3-0 going into the 3rd.

But hey, let's not sign Radulov. Our top6 with 4 proven top6 forwards, one of which struggled mightily (Gallagher). Galchenyuk was put down by MB in his press conference, a lot of confidence in this kid. Knight in shinning armor, savior of the day Drouin and of course Mr. 11 goals against playoff teams in 2016-2017. This team lacks top end talent and yet another year where the GM thinks he got the one up on a player asking for too much. In reality he has a one up on all you fans thinking he did the right thing by not signing Radulov.

How many times do we hear "Oh he doesn't want to sign in Montreal, the attention, the taxes, etc." and here is a guy who played very well in Montreal and we have a GM playing hardball? Not saying give Radulov the moon... But does he need to publicly say he is done negotiating?

You don't have to hate MB, but please hold him accountable. This team has been spinning its wheels for far too long, while the fan base hold hold up the rear of the car.

Covenant

Jun 4, 2006
I guess the bottom line is where is the team trending under his leadership? Are you happy where the team is today? If not for Carey Price being super human where would things be because he has masked some of the organizations weaknesses?

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
I would have went for Jagr instead of Hemsky.

Yeah, honestly, after MB's ultimatum, it was pretty clear Rad wouldn't be back, so, to me, the obvious plan C or D would be Jagr. He might not be as cheap as Hemsky, but he's more likely to contribute points. Granted, if you really want the kids to get a chance, a forward made of glass who likely won't play half of the season, then I guess Hemsky is plan A... :sarcasm:

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
I guess the bottom line is where is the team trending under his leadership? Are you happy where the team is today? If not for Carey Price being super human where would things be because he has masked some of the organizations weaknesses?

All organizations have a weakness, having the goalie being our best player does not mean that we are any different from a organization that has a dman as their best playe r such as Ottawa.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
But now they have one of the best hockey players in the world locked up. Granted it's for more money then I would have hoped, but Price is going to lead them to many a playoff round, the question is can management do what it takes to upgrade the offense and that remains to be seen. If not they will be for likely several years a one and done or two at best in the playoffs meaning late draft picks, lack of draft picks as MB has to trade 2nd rounders and prospects to fill holes in an never ending cycle. But with Price they know they are going to win a bunch of games as long as he is here.

The Habs now have their best player by far locked up for 8 years, they just need to hope the cap goes up a lot over that span, and management somehow figures out a way to improve the roster. I would look to trade prospects from our AHL team since MB seems to think Lefebvre is doing a good enough job not to replace him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
But now they have one of the best hockey players in the world locked up. Granted it's for more money then I would have hoped, ...

The Habs now have their best player by far locked up for 8 years, they just need to hope the cap goes up a lot over that span, and management somehow figures out a way to improve the roster. I would look to trade prospects from our AHL team since MB seems to think Lefebvre is doing a good enough job not to replace him.

I don't have an issue with Price getting the contract he got. It's affordable if the GM doesn't keep overpaying for third liners and non-elite type players.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We project Chucky has a #1 Center every year and it never happens. I don't see it happening now.

Chucky scored 45 points in 46 games with a plus-9 from February to December 2016 almost 10 month period prior to Kopitar recklessly busting Alex's knee.

He was a top-8 league scorer in that period and once again, "sheltered" or not, was +9.

Yes, it happened, and not that long ago. And then the injury, coming back too soon (obviously) followed by a quick hook from the coach and several MONTHS (not years) later, we've been conditioned to forget his good play ever happened.

What a bunch of losers in charge. I just hope Claude does his job properly, and gives Alex another chance and ENCOURAGEMENT so that he can optimize the results of the group.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
In the 26 games that followed the amazing start (19-4-3 with 90 goals scored), the Habs mustered only 50 goals.

Blame the goalie all you want, in the end it was the coach that couldn't get his team to play together. The mental loss of Price hurt so bad, and with a coach like Michel Therrien, they had no chance.

I can't fathom what people don't understand about the 15-16 season. The coach is a failure, the GM double down on the coach and blamed the players indirectly with comments like "It's on me", which means he didn't get good enough players (what else does a GM do?).

I wanted MT and MB fired after the playoff exit against Tampa. I could not believe my eyes watching the Habs generate 4 goals in 4 games against Craig Anderson (5 total with an EN). Thank God for Price... Then to watch them play TB... Close games, but time and time again the Habs are on the wrong side of close games. Price can only do so much. 5 goals scored in 4 losses against Tampa that series. They came out flying in game 4, avoided the sweep. Game 5 was tight, but you're down 3-2 in the series, the team needs to put up more goals. Game 6... 3-0 going into the 3rd.

But hey, let's not sign Radulov. Our top6 with 4 proven top6 forwards, one of which struggled mightily (Gallagher). Galchenyuk was put down by MB in his press conference, a lot of confidence in this kid. Knight in shinning armor, savior of the day Drouin and of course Mr. 11 goals against playoff teams in 2016-2017. This team lacks top end talent and yet another year where the GM thinks he got the one up on a player asking for too much. In reality he has a one up on all you fans thinking he did the right thing by not signing Radulov.

How many times do we hear "Oh he doesn't want to sign in Montreal, the attention, the taxes, etc." and here is a guy who played very well in Montreal and we have a GM playing hardball? Not saying give Radulov the moon... But does he need to publicly say he is done negotiating?

You don't have to hate MB, but please hold him accountable. This team has been spinning its wheels for far too long, while the fan base hold hold up the rear of the car.

The common theme in the last couple seasons, with or without price, has been a scorching first 10 or so games of the season.

For whatever reason, a guy like Torrey Mitchell tends to start the year like an all star, and he just one example of a guy who plays above himself. I think it's probably just a fluke thing but it is strange that in happened two years in a row.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No I mean Hemsky, we gave up our number one prospect to get Drouin and signed a guy that no one else wanted once our hero gm ****ed up and we lost Radulov.

If it makes you feel better...only 1 other team wanted Radulov

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Mcguire is a nut job but he is not wrong about Montreal being in trouble, anyone not wear homer glasses can look at this team and see that he is right. In my opinion our game suffered last year with our new look defence and now the thought of not having Markov makes things all the more bleak. We lack 2 top 6 centers and we just lost our most creative/gritty/talented forward and replaced him with Alice Hemsky, it is almost impossible to grasp that what look so full of promise when Bergevin took over as gm has now crumbled to this. We will be in the bottom 15 teams in this league in 2017-18.

Habs dont have a chance WITH Carey Price playing his best. (015 they barely won a round and Carey will never be better than he was the season)

MB inherited Price....going on six years since, what he has assembled in front of Carey......is laughable. Well laughable if you try to put winning Cup and the Canadiens in the same sentence.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Chucky scored 45 points in 46 games with a plus-9 from February to December 2016 almost 10 month period prior to Kopitar recklessly busting Alex's knee.

He was a top-8 league scorer in that period and once again, "sheltered" or not, was +9.

Yes, it happened, and not that long ago. And then the injury, coming back too soon (obviously) followed by a quick hook from the coach and several MONTHS (not years) later, we've been conditioned to forget his good play ever happened.

What a bunch of losers in charge. I just hope Claude does his job properly, and gives Alex another chance and ENCOURAGEMENT so that he can optimize the results of the group.

True. I remember saying that Chuck>Giroux... which was true before the injury.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If it makes you feel better...only 1 other team wanted Radulov

NHL GMs can be wrong. Only one team wanted Paul Byron, he made it all the way to the Habs waiver wire slot. Happens all the time.

Radulov matters in terms of the Habs' offensive woes. His departure also leaves more available cap space. It's about whether that cap space can be used to find an offensive replacement.

Only blemish in the current situation is that the Habs will have to give up assets to find someone comparable to Radulov, whereas with Radulov it was solely about money.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Bergevin and Jagr are not friend. Bergevin hates Jagr since his Pittsburgh days. He will never sign Jagr.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad