McDavid Right Now vs. Crosby at His Peak

McDavid Right Now vs. Crosby at His Peak

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
That’s still 99 games over a 3 year span, which means there were a lot of games in between where he wasn’t playing at all. So there’s no consistency, it’s literally “Peaked for 22 games here.....peaked for 36 games here....peaked for 41 games here. Lumping then together as one doesn’t work no matter how you try to defend it.

We are talking about 3 separate “peaks” that are small sample sizes. McDavid actually has consistency and dominance, Crosby has “what if’s.” Unless your suggesting Crosby in those 22, 41, or 36 games was on a completely different level than McDavid ever was, which again doesn’t work and makes zero sense.

And if he played games in between you'd have a point. But those are literally all the games he played. So he just magically was on a hot streak whenever he played? That's what makes no sense. Yes you want him to show it over a full season, which is why if you talk about full season peaks, he falls short compared to his abilities. People are literally talking about how he played. Which was better over a three year, 99 game span.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
spread over 3 seasons don't forget

Yes, which were his only games. The point of talking about hot streaks is that they even out over time. So why didn't he ever regress in that period? Over three years and 99 games, he just kept playing like he was on a hot streak? It's awfully convenient.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
And if he played games in between you'd have a point. But those are literally all the games he played. So he just magically was on a hot streak whenever he played? That's what makes no sense. Yes you want him to show it over a full season, which is why if you talk about full season peaks, he falls short compared to his abilities. People are literally talking about how he played. Which was better over a three year, 99 game span.
Your still acting under the assumption that he would have maintained the pace he had and that it doesn’t matter what he didn’t accomplish, he would have regardless so let’s treat it as such.

I’m not saying he magically went on hot streaks, I’m saying they are very small size hot streaks that can be fully capable of achieving. Crosby went on hot streaks in small bulk sums, he didn’t consistently play at that level and didn’t consistently play at all. That should matter.

I’m saying Crosby during the 2011 wasn’t so superior during those 41 games, that nothing McDavid has done tops it and nothing he ever will do can be better. It was 41 games that translates to literally nothing. Same with his 22 games which is an even more silly sample size to bring up.

I’m fully aware of his capabilities and it’s a shame that his peak was cut down due to injuries, but many can’t keep over glorifying it and giving him special treatment based on his abilities and what they feel would have happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: DecadeofDarkness

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Yes, which were his only games. The point of talking about hot streaks is that they even out over time. So why didn't he ever regress in that period? Over three years and 99 games, he just kept playing like he was on a hot streak? It's awfully convenient.
He never regressed because he obviously didn’t play enough games and enough games consistently. It’s about the convenience of his peaks consisting of times where he didn’t cool off and his production didn’t drop off because they are such small sample sizes, which normally happens. It’s the convenience of people getting to add more mystique to his seasons and write it the way they please. Facts are, we have no idea how he would have ended those seasons, but where certainly isn’t any “it’s safe to say he would have done this and that.” And using that to fill in the gaps. Sure, very very big chance he walks away with most of the awards in 2011 and 2013, but he didn’t.....so why treat it like he did? It’s not about what he is capable of achieving, it’s about him not achieving those awards or numbers but getting the benefit of the doubt, doesn’t work like that.

I mean, really? “Why didn’t he regress?” Don’t you think it’s easier to maintain a certain level of production over 22 and 36 games separately with lots of time in between compared to 164 games back to back, let’s say WITH playoffs? It’s pretty obvious.

Reactions: DecadeofDarkness

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
probably cause he never had to deal with the rigors of a long season...where regression would have no doubt occurred

using your logic, you'd be impressed if McDavid had 9 straight seasons where he only played 11 games yet had a 5.00 points/60
I mean, it's 99 straight games of dominance!

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
probably cause he never had to deal with the rigors of a long season...where regression would have no doubt occurred

using your logic, you'd be impressed if McDavid had 9 straight seasons where he only played 11 games yet had a 5.00 points/60
I mean, it's 99 straight games of dominance!
Yes? Is this supposed to be a trick question? How would one not be impressed?

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
When McDavid leads the league in points and goals per game for 3 straight years, or heck even do it just once, then maybe he can be in the conversation with Ovi's peak.
McDavid already has Ovi beat in terms of putting up points. Neither Sid or Ovi could impact Edm the way McDavid has

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I went with McDavid right now and I'm a huge crosby fan. People need to actually watch Oilers game if you can, (I know time zone can be an issue).

McDavid's game is on a totally different level, the way he sees the ice, the way he can take off on first stride, puck control, 4 move ahead anticipation. f*** playoffs, Mcdavid is also on a weaker team compared to when Crosby broke in, but yea, no one is stopping team Canada if Mcdavid and Crosby is on the ice together.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
McDavid right now is playing pretty poorly. Draisaitl's been clearly better than him so it's tough to have him over Peak Crosby. If McDavid eventually returns to how he was the two previous seasons, then it would be him, though. But due to the poll question, can't really vote for McDavid.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Ask this question in 10 years when McDavid has had the chance to build up as many haters as Crosby.

Every dominant player/team who is on top for a long time will gather haters.

McDavid is too young and hasn’t had enough playoff success to garner the amount of detractors that Crosby has.

There are a number of people in this thread who are saying anything they can to diminish Crosby’s accomplishments and I suspect it’s because they’ve grown to hate him over the years due to his success.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Gotta go with Crosby. He did so many little things right...the definition of a perfect player. That season he had a crazy point streak and got injured at the Winter Classic, he was unreal.

No slight against McDavid, though. He’s amazing to watch. It was pretty much a coin flip for me.

Reactions: sanscosm

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I went with McDavid right now and I'm a huge crosby fan. People need to actually watch Oilers game if you can, (I know time zone can be an issue).

McDavid's game is on a totally different level, the way he sees the ice, the way he can take off on first stride, puck control, 4 move ahead anticipation. **** playoffs, Mcdavid is also on a weaker team compared to when Crosby broke in, but yea, no one is stopping team Canada if Mcdavid and Crosby is on the ice together.

Hmmmm..... this might be true if it wasn't true.

The Oilers in McDavid's first two years were better than the Pens in Crosby's 1st two years. Funny how Crosby was able to win the Ross in his 2nd year on a weaker team.

Any excuses as to why McDavid isn't dominating more than Crosby did offensively despite his superior skills don't make any logical sense.

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
Easily Crosby. The biggest shame in recent memory is how he was injured at his absolute peak and never had that one full year which showed just how dominant he was. Between November 2009 - 2012 he was on pace for 130+ points over 200 games, though it was split between seasons.

If he finished 2010/11 he would have easily cleared 130 points, with much better 2-way play than McDavid, in a significantly lower scoring year. And with Malkin slumping so playing with Dupuis and Kunitz without a Draisaitl.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
In coinflip scenarios I always go with the more proven player, hard to find an argument for McDavid really when you consider playoff performance- regular season is a wash.

McDavid has certainly proven that he is in the same ballpark but that's where it ends for now.

Last edited:

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
None of McDavid's seasons so far are more impressive than OV's points-wise or PPG-wise. McDavid's best is not among the very best since 2005.
McDavid put up 116 points in 78 games last year. Ovi’s best was 112 in 82, so McDavid has the edge in PPG and single season point totality already. If not for Kuch last year, he’d have clean swept every non-rocket award. It’s not gonna take long for him to surpass both Ovi and Sid in terms of point production and accolades. Ovi will always have his legendary goal scoring but McDavid is clearly a not well-rounded player and he’ll surpass Sid once he makes some more playoff runs as he’a already close to him achievements-wise

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

McDavid's game is on a totally different level, the way he sees the ice, the way he can take off on first stride, puck control, 4 move ahead anticipation. **** playoffs, Mcdavid is also on a weaker team compared to when Crosby broke in, but yea, no one is stopping team Canada if Mcdavid and Crosby is on the ice together.
I agree. Crosby was amazing in his prime but I think there's a clear difference between the two. McDavid just has that extra gear that Crosby didn't.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

Crosby does all of this, if not better besides his frist stride. But his puck protection down low more than makes up for that.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Crosby does all of this, if not better besides his frist stride. But his puck protection down low more than makes up for that.
He's not even remotely close to McDavid for anything skating related, nobody is. It's hands down the most dominant tool either of them has.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
He's not even remotely close to McDavid for anything skating related, nobody is. It's hands down the most dominant tool either of them has.
skating is a broad term. If we're talking speed, then yes. McDavid by a mile. First step, that too. Crosby's been the best in the world for a decade + now on his skates while protecting the puck. Tight turns, puck protection, edgework.... that's all skating and Crosby has the edge there.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00