McDavid Right Now vs. Crosby at His Peak

McDavid Right Now vs. Crosby at His Peak

• Total voters

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Do you think McDavid is a better player right now than Crosby was at his peak? I think most people would consider Crosby's peak when he put up 51 goals (and 109 points in 81 games in 2009/10) and then 66 points in 41 games the next year before his injury issues, but it's up to your interpretation what his peak is.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Crosby’s absolute peak was the full 2010 calendar year : he scored 60 goals, 66 assists in 80 games. I assume he would have finished around that total if not for the concussion in 2010/11 considering how dominant he was.

McDavid is on his way to reach that level, he should be as good or better than peak Crosby by the end of this season if he stays healthy

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I dont think you can go wrong with either. Both are dominant in different ways and can beat anyone in different ways.

As a Pens fan, I go with Sid. That's really my only tie breaker is being a bigger Sid fan. If not for that, I probably couldn't choose without throwing a dart

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Sid still, but it's close. I feel like Crosby had more tools to beat you with. But McDavid has that insane speed and puckhandling (along with other elite traits) that might beat Crosby's best soon enough.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Crosby’s absolute peak was the full 2010 calendar year : he scored 60 goals, 66 assists in 80 games. I assume he would have finished around that total if not for the concussion in 2010/11 considering how dominant he was.

McDavid is on his way to reach that level, he should be as good or better than peak Crosby by the end of this season if he stays healthy
Never scored 60. What are you smoking ?

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
I think about this all the time. It's so hard to compare. I'll give it to Crosby slightly for now, but I think McDavid ends up passing him eventually.

McDavid is so flashy and skilled and its so easy to see how dominant he is. But Crosby did every single little thing right, and a lot of it goes unnoticed for the average fan. He really was unbelievable.

Reactions: sanscosm

TheGuiminator

Oct 23, 2018
Never scored 60. What are you smoking ?

See 2010 calendar year :
F07CB1EE-1979-4228-B186-66942C57D381.jpeg

TheGuiminator

Oct 23, 2018
That’s misleading though because you’re splitting seasons up.

Not taking anything away Sid because he was excellent during that stretch.

It’s just an illustration on how dominant he was at his peak level of play. I’m aware that Crosby lacks of peak seasons and McDavid will very likely peak higher.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Let's see where he is at the end of the year. I don't think he's ever been as good as Sid leading up to the concussion, but Crosby never put up a full year at that level and their best full seasons so far are similar. McDavid has been racking up the points this year but he still hasn't looked on top of his game yet. He's turning 23 halfway through the year though, which means he'll probably be putting up a peak season either this year or next. So he very well could be, but he'll have to show it over more games.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
People forget one important thing that peak Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin played in an era way more tougher than McDavid is playing now. Back then you could check a star player with clean old hit, nowadays I feel like those type of plays are almost gone which gives McDavid more space as hockey became more softer. P.S. And hasn't NHL created several rules few seasons ago up till now to increase scoring including making goalies' equipment smaller ? Therefore Crosby but not by much

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
People forget one important thing that peak Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin played in an era way more tougher than McDavid is playing now. Back then you could check a star player with clean old hit, nowadays I feel like those type of plays are almost gone which gives McDavid more space as hockey became more softer. P.S. And hasn't NHL created several rules few seasons ago up till now to increase scoring including making goalies' equipment smaller ? Therefore Crosby but not by much

Going by era toughness for assessing why a player is better is silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eisen and authentic

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

They actually called obstruction back then though.

McDavid gets water skiied by opposition all game every game when he doesn’t have the puck.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Crosby because he was actually doing stuff in the playoffs too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad