McDavid Right Now vs. Crosby at His Peak

McDavid Right Now vs. Crosby at His Peak

• Total voters

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This is such a simplistic way of looking at it, all you need to do is watch the two to know there's a massive difference between them. Crosby is always near the top of actually driving play but there's a definite difference between them when you watch them defend. These numbers can only represent so much.

Sure there might be some truth to this but last year Crosby really titled the ice and was very good defensively for such an elite scorer.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Connor is now at 2.43ppg after 7games.

Its completely possible that he would be flirting with 2ppg after 20 games, i.e. 40 points.

For the remaining 62 games he would need to score at 1.6ppg pace in order to reach 140points, which would put him a clear step above of Sid (or Ovie or Geno for that matter).

I think its completely realistic scenario all things considered. And if it doesnt happen this year, it will happen in next 1-3 years.

And its completely valid to argue that Connor now is better than Sid was at his peak (10-11 season).

One thing I'm always in awe is how easily the points come for Connor. Sid had to battle and grind in order to be that effective. Connor could score 100p from perimeter for crying out loud. The most offensively gifted player since Mario/Jagr.

Its insane, really. Its insanity!

37 in 21. So a bit behind, but still in good position.

61 games left.

With his career ppg in the remaining games (1.3), he would end up in 116p. But its safe to say that he will score at least at 1.5ppg, which would mean 128p. I think 140p is still within reach.

And how about Draisatl, insanity.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I honestly think McDavid has another gear or maybe even two. Still does not shoot enough and had a summer of training progress wiped out because of rehab, past that I would be real interested to see what he could do with more talent around him.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I honestly think McDavid has another gear or maybe even two. Still does not shoot enough and had a summer of training progress wiped out because of rehab, past that I would be real interested to see what he could do with more talent around him.
Oilers are a one line team at the moment.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers are a one line team at the moment.

Actually some secondary scoring is starting to kick in ... Nugent Hopkins has 4 goals in the last 3 games after 1 goal in the first 17 games. They badly needed him to get going and it looks like he is.

A lot of bottom 6 guys have finally potted one too in the last 7-8 games from Khaira to Haas to Chiasson to Colby Cave of all people have scored to get the money off the back.

So some things seem to be normalizing for the Oilers.

Holland still has to find another second line winger, but I think it's a doable task.

Other underrated thing about the Oilers ... in goals against they are bottom 5/6 in the league per game. That's a huge improvement defensively, think Tippet deserves some credit there.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Regular Season wise, McDavid has surpassed peak Crosby. He is simply a more dominant shift by shift player and production wise is starting to exceed peak Sid.

Reactions: Frosty415

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
poll from 1 month ago: peak Crosby > McDavid right now

Poll from today: McDavid right now > peak OV and Crosby

Talk about recency bias lol

Reactions: Frosty415

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Win more games, not necessarily put up more points or propel himself ahead of Crosby.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Win more games, not necessarily put up more points or propel himself ahead of Crosby.

This is an awful lot like the things that used to get thrown at Michael Jordan "sure he scores a lot of points, but he's not as good as Magic/Bird, because they win!".

It's not the player's fault if the GM is incompetent or hasn't successful built a good enough team around them, especially in hockey which is much more of a team sport.

Your goaltending is as important as your star players if you're talking wins/losses.

Last edited:
Reactions: snipes

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Was waiting for daver with the daver takes. So now we've sunk down to wins, huh. And let me guess, Sheldon Brookbank > Connor McDavid because he has a cup?

Reactions: snipes

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
This is an awful lot like the things that used to get thrown at Michael Jordan "sure he scores a lot of points, but he's not as good as Magic/Bird, because they win!".

It's not the player's fault if the GM is incompetent or hasn't successful built a good enough team around them, especially in hockey which is much more of a team sport.

Your goaltending is as important as your star players if you're talking wins/losses.

You are misunderstanding my point. You are implying that Crosby's point totals are inflated because of his team. He has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt this is not the case.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Was waiting for daver with the daver takes. So now we've sunk down to wins, huh. And let me guess, Sheldon Brookbank > Connor McDavid because he has a cup?

Where did I say anything about wins being the difference? The other poster was implying that Crosby's point totals are inflated due to his team (they also regularly state Crosby has benefitted from having Letang).

I say let their numbers speak for themselves which some people don't like since it doesn't put McDavid on the same level as peak Crosby.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Where did I say anything about wins being the difference? The other poster was implying that Crosby's point totals are inflated due to his team (they also regularly state Crosby has benefitted from having Letang).

I say let their numbers speak for themselves which some people don't like since it doesn't put McDavid on the same level as peak Crosby.

Gee, I don’t know, when you mentioned that McDavid needs more wins.
The numbers only speak for themselves when you twist them in any narrative to discredit McDavid.

You literally go with raw point totals, but when that no longer suits Crosby, you go to PPG. When McDavid has had a higher PPG, YOU go back to raw totals.

Combine that with your awful takes on winning games and grace periods, arguing is useless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad