News Article: McDavid: Playing for Leafs would be a "dream come true"

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Lindros did.

Wasn't that because his mom didn't like Quebec? Besides, it's fairly rare in pro sports for a #1 pick to refuse to play for the drafted team nowadays. Last time I can think of was Eli Manning with the Chargers (NFL) a decade ago, then Steve Francis with the Grizzlies (NBA). Hel,l if you wanna go way back, John Elway and the Colts (NFL).

Leafspoison*

if the leafs get mcdavid via a lottery win, i will eat my shoe. literally.

bettman won't let that happen.

The 1st overall pick will be going to Arizona. Bettman saved the penguins from relocation by rigging the 2005 lottery and giving them Crosby. He's going to do the same for his pet team, the coyotes. Mcdavid will be going to the yotes. Mark my words.

I wonder if the lottery draw is televised somewhere?

All I have ever seen was "And the winner is" crap. Anyone in the NHL office could just pull names out of a hat and when they get one they like, they announce it.

Something like this should be televised, just like television bingo. You see the balls going in, you see one ball coming out.

maybe I have missed it, but has that happened before or am I just remembering the NFL draft or something?

PlietscherDassel

Dec 3, 2009
He is young and naive. Can't blame him for not knowing that playing for the Leafs as a first overall pick probably ends up being a nightmare with todays media.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

All I have ever seen was "And the winner is" crap. Anyone in the NHL office could just pull names out of a hat and when they get one they like, they announce it.

Something like this should be televised, just like television bingo. You see the balls going in, you see one ball coming out.

maybe I have missed it, but has that happened before or am I just remembering the NFL draft or something?

all 14 teams have a representative watching the lottery take place so no they can't just pick another ball... all they televised in the past was announcing who won they didn't show the actual lottery, but each team has a representative there, when the actual lottery takes place.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

It's overseen by a credible outside party, it's an accounting firm if I recall.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

No. It is not televised but I believe it is witnessed by representatives from each of the 30 teams and audited by Ernst and Young.

All this rigged draft lottery stuff is such nonsense. You can pretty much make up a rigged draft story line for any team that wins.

Edit: Actually, based on a post above, it may just be the 14 teams involved.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
all 14 teams have a representative watching the lottery take place so no they can't just pick another ball... all they televised in the past was announcing who won they didn't show the actual lottery, but each team has a representative there, when the actual lottery takes place.
I'm sure the teams all have representatives there during the meetings when the NHL hammers out who is winning the lottery this year. In a revenue sharing league all of them win if McDavid raises the revenues of the Coyotes.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
He is young and naive. Can't blame him for not knowing that playing for the Leafs as a first overall pick probably ends up being a nightmare with todays media.

And, of course, if he said he doesn't want to play for the Leafs, he's probably going to get the lunatic fringe of Leafs Nation hunting him down and making death threats or other such stupidity.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Nope, not clicking that link because it will just make me sad.

**** the Leafs. They know they sucked but didn't want to tank. We could have had Stamkos or Tavares...but no, we'll get them when they are 38 instead of 18.

McDavid is the same damn story as Stamkos. 7 years and nothing has changed. I remember reading the article where Stamkos said he eagerly checked standings everyday to see if the Leafs would drop enough to get him in the draft.

Well now he's going to sign that next 8 year contract and say bye bye to the Leafs.

Leafs...where superstar forwards come to play for them at the age of 38 when they are barely able to play in the league.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Leafs...where superstar forwards come to play for them at the age of 38 when they are barely able to play in the league.
Leafs are where ex-star forwards come to play to be rewarded financially for their productive years with other NHL teams.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Odds are going to be somewhere in the 5% to 10% range considering how well we tank.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

-Clint-as-Dirty-Harry-Callahan-clint-eastwood-34587779-200-200.jpg

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Here's what will happen. The bottom six teams will be 1) Buffalo 2)Edmonton 3)Arizona 4)Carolina 5)Toronto 6)New Jersey. TSN draft special here comes Daly with the announcement. Number 5 belongs to the Carolina Hurricanes. Leafs nation collectively craps there pants. Arizona 4,Edmonton 3 and Buffalo 2. And the 1st overall pick goes to................The New Jersey Devils.:rant::banghead::facepalm:

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Lol, no way the NHL would rig the draft for us.

They'll rig it for Arizona. He can be the face of hockey over there.

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal
Whatever happens, you'll get a great prospect. And you never know about McDavid. I ran the lottery simulator 1000 times and the % were almost right with Buffalo at 20%, Edmonton 2nd etc. But running it only one time like it will happen at the draft, you never know who's gonna get him and I wouldn't be surprised if no one of Buffalo or Edmonton gets him.

Rielly
Gauthier
Nylander
This year first rounder.
Kadri
Bernier's in net.

This is something to build around

Trade Kessel and Phaneuf, as talented as they are, they're no good for the team chemistry.

Things will turn around eventually. At least from the last couple years, you kept your first rounders instead of trading them all.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Whatever happens, you'll get a great prospect. And you never know about McDavid. I ran the lottery simulator 1000 times and the % were almost right with Buffalo at 20%, Edmonton 2nd etc. But running it only one time like it will happen at the draft, you never know who's gonna get him and I wouldn't be surprised if no one of Buffalo or Edmonton gets him.

Rielly
Gauthier
Nylander
This year first rounder.
Kadri
Bernier's in net.

This is something to build around

Trade Kessel and Phaneuf, as talented as they are, they're no good for the team chemistry.

Things will turn around eventually. At least from the last couple years, you kept your first rounders instead of trading them all.

Adding Gauthier in the list of great player -> :help:. He's at best a 3rd line C in the league and that's if he makes it.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Here's what will happen. The bottom six teams will be 1) Buffalo 2)Edmonton 3)Arizona 4)Carolina 5)Toronto 6)New Jersey. TSN draft special here comes Daly with the announcement. Number 5 belongs to the Carolina Hurricanes. Leafs nation collectively craps there pants. Arizona 4,Edmonton 3 and Buffalo 2. And the 1st overall pick goes to................The New Jersey Devils.:rant::banghead::facepalm:

I'll quit watching hockey if the Devils draft McDavid. I'd rather Arizona than NJ.

McDavid will become Elias 2.0 with Lou's tutelage.

jughead42*

Only chance of that happening is the Leafs winning the lottery. No way Bettman allows that.

Why not? I'm pretty sure the owners of the Leafs just pumped an assload of cash into the NHL pockets so maybe a shady lottery that results in a Leaf victory as a thank you wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. It's not like Bettman should be excited about the opportunity for Edmonton or Buffalo to pick MacDavid any more than he would Toronto.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Why not? I'm pretty sure the owners of the Leafs just pumped an assload of cash into the NHL pockets so maybe a shady lottery that results in a Leaf victory as a thank you wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. It's not like Bettman should be excited about the opportunity for Edmonton or Buffalo to pick MacDavid any more than he would Toronto.
That same assload of cash will still be coming from MLSE with or without McDavid. Leafs won't suddenly make the playoffs next year if he is drafted by them. Arizona on the other hand might not be a financial basket case in the next few years when Gary hands McDavid to them on a platter.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Nope, not clicking that link because it will just make me sad.

**** the Leafs. They know they sucked but didn't want to tank. We could have had Stamkos or Tavares...but no, we'll get them when they are 38 instead of 18.

Ever heard of the lottery? Even finishing dead last does not guarantee the #1 pick.

Well now he's going to sign that next 8 year contract and say bye bye to the Leafs.

So you've spoken to him and he has confirmed this for you has he? You're talking out of your arse. Sure, he might sign in Tampa but you have absolutely no way of knowing what he will or won't do until it actually happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad