News Article: McDavid: Playing for Leafs would be a "dream come true"

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
Chances are the Leafs don't catch Buffalo for last overall and even with reduced odds it's still a slim chance of Toronto winning the draft lottery, unless they finished 29th overall. Anything past that spot I can't see it happening.

Buffalo also has a slim chance of getting McDavid. 80% chance they don't.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
pretty sure it's the 3rd year. New lottery rules came in after the most recent lockout no? So you had the shortened season, lottery, then last season, lottery, and now this season, lottery. It would be the 3rd.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=658503

My bad ...your right, I guess this is the first year for the new lower odds then for first.
Next year is the first year on the new system with the new odds and also falling in the draft. This year you can only fall 1 position, next year that changes, to a true lottery.

garyjones93

Jun 2, 2012
Dont worry. If that happens, McDavid can just retire, play in the KHL until he's 25, return, and pick the leafs. Spread this on social media to start a movement.

Round 2 #77 Medvescak Zagreb Connor McDavid (C)

Medvescak Zagreb is located in Zagreb, Croatia, they currently have 22 Canadians on their team according to eliteprospects.

Get the movement started, then MLSE should buy Medvescak Zagreb :naughty:

i1

Nov 10, 2011
Newfoundland
picture.php

Seriously though, didn't Bob McKenzie accidently say something regarding McDavid going to the Leafs?

JVR - Mcdavid - Kessel

Leafspoison*

Whatever happens, you'll get a great prospect. And you never know about McDavid. I ran the lottery simulator 1000 times and the % were almost right with Buffalo at 20%, Edmonton 2nd etc. But running it only one time like it will happen at the draft, you never know who's gonna get him and I wouldn't be surprised if no one of Buffalo or Edmonton gets him.

Rielly
Gauthier
Nylander
This year first rounder.
Kadri
Bernier's in net.

This is something to build around

Trade Kessel and Phaneuf, as talented as they are, they're no good for the team chemistry.

Things will turn around eventually. At least from the last couple years, you kept your first rounders instead of trading them all.

wut

:amazed:

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
picture.php

Seriously though, didn't Bob McKenzie accidently say something regarding McDavid going to the Leafs?

JVR - Mcdavid - Kessel

I don't want JvR and Kessel anywhere near that kid if that happens.

McDavid, Nylander, Rielly would be the new future of this team, and I like it that way.

Leafspoison*

They'd take McDavid, and then trade RNH for some defense.

Or they'd trade down to take Hanifin and get some other assets too.

There's no way they'd take Hanifin at 1, and they'd probably not trade down either. Nobody passes on the next Crosby because of positional need.

There is absolutely NO CHANCE that the 1st pick is moved by whoever gets him. If he is projected to be better than Crosby, then you are saying you are willing to trade the best player in the world (when he develops a little) from your team.

I would put everything I own that the first pick is not moved. The winner of this draft will go to the podium and announce "and the ______ with their first pick in this years entry draft, select from the Erie Otters, Connor McDavid"

Crowd goes nuts. Team fans go nuts. Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel, like every generational talent before them, will bring a Stanley cup to their team. Its just a matter of time.

If the Leafs win this lottery, the Leafs will be hoisting a cup within 10 years. Thats how important this draft is.

As a GM, you have to recognize this, trade off top 6 and Winnik, Santo, Franson and Phaneuf. Build with Rielly, Nylander, Brown, Finn, Bibeau, and whoever else in our org that would be considered a potential blue chipper plus the pick.

Even Hanifin gives us a great chance.

As people start to recognize the depth of this draft, then it will be a lot less tank talk in the years to come. I am excited.

Come on hockey gods, smile on us just one time.....please. :nod:

Leafspoison*

I don't want JvR and Kessel anywhere near that kid if that happens.

McDavid, Nylander, Rielly would be the new future of this team, and I like it that way.

If I could triple bold your post, I would and fully agree.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
McDavid is supposed to be better than Crosby? I heard the best since him, but not better than.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
If the hockey gods smiled at us just this once and we actually got McDavid I would hope Kessel, Phanuef and to a much lesser extent JVR get shipped out as soon as possible. McDavid should play with a player who works as hard as he can ala Brown on our second line.

But we're not getting Mcdavid.... Ugh if only we didn't go 10-1-1.

Leafspoison*

McDavid is supposed to be better than Crosby? I heard the best since him, but not better than.

Here are a couple quotes:

McDavid, who was born in Richmond Hill, Ont., and grew up in nearby Newmarket, put up seven goals and 13 assists in his first seven games this season, leading the Otters to a 6-0-1 start. At that three-point-a-game pace, he’d enter or surpass the territory of what Sidney Crosby did with Rimouski Oceanic of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League at the same age.

‘BETTER THAN CROSBY’

McDavid doesn’t remember the first time someone compared him to Crosby. Eleven months after Sportsnet Magazine’s cover showed him with the headline, "Better than Crosby," the 17-year-old still thinks it was "pretty insane."

"It’s obviously a tremendous honour to be named in the same breath with someone like that," McDavid said. "But by no means do I think I’m deserving."

Scouts disagree. In revealing the International Scouting Service pre-season rankings, director Dennis MacInnins said: "Having the chance to scout Sidney Crosby at the same age, McDavid is even more impressive, true superstar potential."

McKee sees the same things. He played with Crosby on the 2009-10 Pittsburgh Penguins and that was when the pride of Cole Harbour, N.S., was already grown up at 22 and in the middle of a run that included a Stanley Cup and Olympic gold medal.

"The comparables between him and Sid, it’s everything," McKee said. "It’s the way he works off the ice, the way he communicates in the dressing room, the work ethic he puts out on the ice in practice. …

"Sid’s a hard-working guy that leads by example on and off the ice and he’s very humble, very quiet, not real flashy. Connor’s the kind of guy when he scores goals he’s not out there riding his stick or celebrating in fancy fashion, he just wants to get the job done."

More often than not, McDavid does get the job done. He was a point-a-game player as an OHL rookie at the ages of 15 and 16 and had 99 points last season.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/scouts-mcdavid-ahead-of-crosby-at-same-stage/

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Junior/2014/11/04/22053381.html

The statistics are backing up what the hockey world has started to believe.

Connor McDavid is better than Sidney Crosby was at age 17.

That's not to say the Erie Otters star will automatically go on and score massive goals in two Olympic finals or win a Stanley Cup for whatever downtrodden NHL team picks him first overall next June, the way No. 87 has in Pittsburgh.

But this kid, who is ripping apart the OHL offensively right now, is superior to the player Crosby was for the Rimouski Oceanic a decade ago.

“They're both the top player in their league at the same age,†said one veteran NHL scout, who prefers to remain anonymous, “but with what McDavid has done the first couple of months of this season, it's just mind-boggling.

And there are a million other reports out there too. And, most scouts so far believe he is going to be better than Crosby. McDavids production so far this year is off the charts....somewhere between Gretzky and Lemieux. Don't take my word for it. Go look it up for yourself.

Thats why I would do anything or trade anyone for that pick. I would easily give up my next 5 picks and Kessel for him without even blinking an eye. Whoever gets him, gets a cup. Winner at every league like the other stars, and a good kid with a good head on his shoulders.

And remember, who ever does NOT get McDavid has to compete against him for the next 20 years. Your team will always be trying to figure him out and beat him, which is a hard task to follow.

McDavid or bust.

Leafspoison*

And to add to that, this is what Bobby Orr (who represents McDavid) told the USA today in a quote about McDavid

"I can remember the first time I saw him," the Hall of Fame defenseman tells USA TODAY Sports. "I walked into a practice at one of our camps and I'm watching this fella with unbelievable skills. I'm thinking, 'Holy crap — who is that?' He was 13."

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
Odd that McDavid would say that seeing he also said...

[URL="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1398639-meet-connor-mcdavid-the-player-sidney-crosby-says-reminds-him-of-himself]I'm a Pens fan because of (Crosby)[/URL]

It's not a secret that McDavid's favourite NHL team is the Pittsburgh Penguins

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
It's sad because this is an annual Mike Zeisberger troll job on Leafs fans, right down to the Eric Lindros reference.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Zeisberger/2008/02/11/4839861-sun.html

That's an 18 year old Stamkos on the possibility of being drafted by a tanking Leafs team seven years ago. Too bad he grew up and forgot his childhood dreams like every other Greater Toronto Area hero ever. If we don't draft McDavid this June, we'll never get him.

Wow so true the articles are near carbon copies. makes me wonder if the wordingwas the exam same or if he is smudging the quotes to fit i to his adlib.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Wow so true the articles are near carbon copies. makes me wonder if the wordingwas the exam same or if he is smudging the quotes to fit i to his adlib.

At the end of the day these kids will all say the same thing about any team if you ask them. It's not like they're gonna say no **** that team if they're asked about being drafted anywhere

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
At the end of the day these kids will all say the same thing about any team if you ask them. It's not like they're gonna say no **** that team if they're asked about being drafted anywhere

Pretty sure if they asked him how he felt about going to the Oilers he wouldn't have said it was a dream come true and start talking about childhood memories. Usually they say "blah blah great organization, great city, would be an honor etc etc"

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Pretty sure if they asked him how he felt about going to the Oilers he wouldn't have said it was a dream come true and start talking about childhood memories. Usually they say "blah blah great organization, great city, would be an honor etc etc"

Meanwhile the media runs with it. These kids just want somewhere to play

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If there was ever a time for the NHL to rig the lottery to rejuvenate one of it's marquee franchises, this is it.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
If there was ever a time for the NHL to rig the lottery to rejuvenate one of it's marquee franchises, this is it.

Unfortunately as others have said, this is also a time to save a failing franchise (Arizona). Ive been told Bettman wants to grow the sport in the usa. Two birds with one McDavid type deal: grow hockey in southern usa and save the yotes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad