News Article: McDavid: Playing for Leafs would be a "dream come true"

Wilbur*

If he becomes a superior 3C with high end shut down skills and average offense he could be an important piece, especially with his size. Not as critical as a 1C but still good to have.

His offense is so bad he's on track to be a good 4C currently. Besides, you don't build around 3C's. Gauthier is a throw-in for a superior piece, always will be. He'll forever be a bottom 6er... That's not a core player bud. As long as you learn from your mistake, I won't hold it against you.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
His offense is so bad he's on track to be a good 4C currently. Besides, you don't build around 3C's. Gauthier is a throw-in for a superior piece, always will be. He'll forever be a bottom 6er... That's not a core player bud. As long as you learn from your mistake, I won't hold it against you.

I like the arrogance and condescending tone when you are correcting me for something I didn't say. I said could be an important piece if he got to the point I described. Deciding arbitrarily that such a player is entirely expendable seems short sighted and demonstrates a lack of understanding on the elements of a competitive team . But hey, as long as you learn from your mistake I won't hold it against you. :shakehead You might want to reread my post.

Last edited:

Leafspoison*

Bigger? Isn't McDavid more or less about the same size as crosby?

Was. He is bigger now. He is 6'1.50 and 192 pounds. Crosby is 5'11 and 200 pounds.

McD is still growing and he should top out at 210-215 somewhere. Probably top out at 6'2 in height.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Bigger? Isn't McDavid more or less about the same size as crosby?

Crosby's 5'11 but has tree legs, he's 200lbs, Connor is a bit taller, 6'1 187lbs(200-210lbs when he fills out).

Connor is on crosby's level though, who knows he may end up better.

I wouldn't call him lindros level, he's not a giant like Lindros, he's inbetween the two though.

he's your next NHL superstar though, noone has had this much hype in years

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Well tavares was drafted only 6 years ago and he had as much hype

30 25 51 76- mcdavid

24 32 18 50-tavares

mcdavid's alot more hyped imo, tavares had big hype because he had exceptional status as well, but his foot speed wasnt nearly on the same level.

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal
About Gauthier, of course you don't build around a guy like him like you would do for Nylander or Rielly but you do need a player like him. Just Watch Lars Eller in Montreal, he's crappy offensively but he does all the little things that helps a team win. Gauthier could become that for the Leafs. I might be a Habs fan first but my second team is every other canadians teams. I want all of them to be competitive so it's not pity for me to wish that the Leafs turns things around, I really do want them to perform better. I even wish that they win the lottery, them or Ottawa, Edmonton had enough 1st overall picks and they really need Hanifin anyway :P

Borschevsky

Aug 9, 2005
I don't understand why people put so much stock into comments like these.

Especially when it comes to hockey players who, during interviews, the vast majority of them show absolutely no personality and love to throw out the same old answers to every question.

The whole "I would love to be a Leaf" comment is no different.

I guess I'm a pessimist but I simply don't believe most players actually mean it when they say things like this.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
30 25 51 76- mcdavid

24 32 18 50-tavares

mcdavid's alot more hyped imo, tavares had big hype because he had exceptional status as well, but his foot speed wasnt nearly on the same level.

Well he did have a 76 goal season as well. But ya his speed was a concern.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Especially when it comes to hockey players who, during interviews, the vast majority of them show absolutely no personality and love to throw out the same old answers to every question.

I guess I'm a pessimist but I simply don't believe most players actually mean it when they say things like this.

I don't see this as that kind of comment. In that case it would be more in line of: "Yeah the Maple Leafs are obviously a great club with a lot of history, it would undoubtedly be a great honor to be picked by them."

Now he went to some great length to describe his history and relation to the club in a very personal manner.

I'm of the opinion that this won't really matter in the long run though. Just some trivia.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
I can't imagine how I'd react if we won the draft lottery. I'd probably puke.

This kid gets it. Plain and simple. Whatever team is lucky enough to grab 1st Overall... damn you.

Leafspoison*

I guess you want a 17 year old kid give the next speech at the meeting of congress?

He's just a kid. Its fans like you that put the pressures on these guys with lofty expectations.

How would you handle a half dozen microphones shoved in your face after every practice and at every game? I guess at 17 you were giving world speeches in front of NATO then?

:clap:

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I guess you want a 17 year old kid give the next speech at the meeting of congress?

He's just a kid. Its fans like you that put the pressures on these guys with lofty expectations.

How would you handle a half dozen microphones shoved in your face after every practice and at every game? I guess at 17 you were giving world speeches in front of NATO then?

I'd have to agree with the guy, hockey players and athletes in general are sometimes like robots.

:laugh:

They're taught how to answer with predetermined responses and cliches. But I think Connor was being authentic, though there were some cliches, but the guy talked about his personal experiences of growing up as a fan and not just impersonal cliches.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I looked at the title and immediately began contemplating the meaning of my existence.

Why oh why do we do this to ourselves, fellow Leaf fans? Why?

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
This just makes not-getting-McDavid a little more painful despite being close (6.5% odds at the moment).

If we can only get into the top 3.... atleast then we could sell the farm for moving up.....

The draft simulator is not giving us good results at the moment ... After 210 clicks, we've won 12 times.

Borschevsky

Aug 9, 2005

Okay.... Hello Mr Straw man.

Connor may very well have been authentic with his comments but I liken this to the Corey Perry situation. Yes, stick a mic in front of an athletes face and they'll say similar things. No need for anyone to take it that seriously or say things like "now not getting McDavid will hurt" as if it makes a difference.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
In all seriousness, looking at the list of teams which he may play for, it's no surprise his choice is Toronto. Half those cities make Hamilton, Ontario look good.

Rielly4Captain

Apr 9, 2012
This just makes not-getting-McDavid a little more painful despite being close (6.5% odds at the moment).

If we can only get into the top 3.... atleast then we could sell the farm for moving up.....

The draft simulator is not giving us good results at the moment ... After 210 clicks, we've won 12 times.

Ran it once today... guess who i got! - All that matters is that one time

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The kid grew up playing on Curtis Joseph's rink, so he probably has real ties to the Leafs emotionally just like many of us growing up here. Not sure why that's worth debating.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Just another hometown superstar who will never play for the Leafs. Nothing to see here.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
^^THIS.

C'mon now. It'd be a miracle if we got CMD. Oh boy!

Listen, if a team could ever win in Toronto, it would be unbelievable. Whoever won would have the key to the city. It would be something that people would never forget.”

Love this kid. Would Seguin have said this?

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Ha! It's like we all forgot the one simple fact....

Good things don't happen to leaf fans.

It'll be Arizona or Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad