News Article: McDavid: Playing for Leafs would be a "dream come true"

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Bettman were to want to put a second team in Toronto despite the Leafs' disapproval and the lottery really is rigged, I could very well see the Leafs saying "hey, give us a little "help" in the lottery this year and we'll let you have your 2nd GTA team" :naughty:

If they got us McDavid and the Leafs allowed Markham into the NHL, that would be a nice trade off.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Why do I get the feeling that even if they won the lottery the Leafs would choose Eichel or someone else? Or if they had the 2nd pick they would choose someone other than whoever was leftover from the McEichel sweepstakes?

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
The Leafs are always going to be the loser male hamster who gets stuck in the back seat in the KIA commercial.:laugh:

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Don't even want to think about the possibility of McDavid playing for the Leafs, players like him never wind up a Leaf. Even if the Leafs manages to lose every game for the rest of the season and wind up dead last in the standings, it is almost certain that the draft lottery would be won by another team. The Hockey Gods hate the Leafs.:cry:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Chances are the Leafs don't catch Buffalo for last overall and even with reduced odds it's still a slim chance of Toronto winning the draft lottery, unless they finished 29th overall. Anything past that spot I can't see it happening.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
If they get mcdavid they will totally try and win now and never win anything.

He'll be enough to gget them marketing, merchandise and a playoff round or two...I'm being serious

You're right. The Leafs should never pick up a great player if given the opportunity. The last thing we want is for them to try.

Seriously, do you guys even read what you write sometimes? :laugh:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Why do I get the feeling that even if they won the lottery the Leafs would choose Eichel or someone else? Or if they had the 2nd pick they would choose someone other than whoever was leftover from the McEichel sweepstakes?

Probably cause some Leaf fans have no confidence and think any thing that can go wrong probably will.

It's kind of annoying actually.

McDavid is going #1 regardless of which team has the pick cause no GM wants to deal with the fan backlash from it.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
You're right. The Leafs should never pick up a great player if given the opportunity. The last thing we want is for them to try.

Seriously, do you guys even read what you write sometimes? :laugh:

what he's saying is that should we win the lottery they probably wont tear down this core and will give them a couple more years, thinking McDavid would be the difference. which would be a mistake. and I could totally see that happening

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
if the leafs get mcdavid via a lottery win, i will eat my shoe. literally.

bettman won't let that happen.

The 1st overall pick will be going to Arizona. Bettman saved the penguins from relocation by rigging the 2005 lottery and giving them Crosby. He's going to do the same for his pet team, the coyotes. Mcdavid will be going to the yotes. Mark my words.

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Considering there is a chance since all 14 teams get a draw in the lottery, its possible but unlikely imo.

I would go insane if they win the lottery though.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Probably cause some Leaf fans have no confidence and think any thing that can go wrong probably will.

It's kind of annoying actually.

I am usually an eternal optimist when it comes to the Leafs but they have just beaten me down so far that I can't help being pessimistic now.

McDavid is going #1 regardless of which team has the pick cause no GM wants to deal with the fan backlash from it.

He should go #1 but I could see an American team choosing Eichel instead purely from a marketing standpoint - American kid playing for an American team. I am not saying that will happen, but I wouldn't be entirely shocked if it did.

Leafspoison*

Chances are the Leafs don't catch Buffalo for last overall and even with reduced odds it's still a slim chance of Toronto winning the draft lottery, unless they finished 29th overall. Anything past that spot I can't see it happening.

We'd have to drop 18 of the last 19 and 8 of the next 9. Basically 2 wins from now til the end gives us a chance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad