McDavid on playing in Edmonton during a losing season

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Uh he was asked the question....

He was asked “tell me about the guys who chirped you at a restaurant”? Or he specifically brought it up in response?

Even the question.... he could have just said. “Well the fans are passionate. We look forward to giving them something to cheer for this year”.

It obviously bugged him.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
Probably just coming from his heart. I mean theres nothing good about being in Edmonton when youre losing. At least if youre playing in Florida or Anaheim and you suck you can go chill at a beach without being harassed. If you go to the beach outside of the summer in Edmonton youre probably not coming home.

You can go and chill in the oil sands of Edmonton

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
Should’ve pulled a Lindros. Prime years will be wasted in Edmonton.

Everyone knows that already. Every year there is wasted. A GM that trades a Hart trophy winner in his prime for a #3 defenseman (on a good day) will fail.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
Everyone knows that already. Every year there is wasted. A GM that trades a Hart trophy winner in his prime for a #3 defenseman (on a good day) will fail.

Yep. I'm pretty McDavid himself knows this now.

Gotta feel bad for the kid. He signed the contract after the Oilers made the playoffs so he probably didn't expect it to go downhill so quickly.

He'll probably demand a trade soon enough.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
This dude is so gone when he's a UFA lmfao. Probably sooner if he demands a trade and holds out.

Feel bad for Oilers fans but their brass, much like the Islanders management with Tavares, deserve less than nothing.

Last edited:

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
This thread is just bait for the "Mcdavid will leave lololo" crowd. The few ****tards that say that stupid **** to him do not represent the million in the city that worship Connor like a god. Its sad that he doesnt mention the overwhelming support and love he gets but talks about one or two moments where a dumbass decided to show how stupid he/she really is.

/Rant

See, the thing is, in McDavid's mind, they do. Similar to the concept of loss aversion, things that make humans uncomfortable, angry, embarrassed, or otherwise elicit negative emotion will always stick out in a person's mind more than positives. It's the same reason as to why you stay up late at night remembering an awkward moment you did years ago in front of a girl you like, despite no one else remembering. Humans have a natural tendency to focus on the negative because that's how humans learn.

You don't remember what is to be expected or the norm. Throughout his life people told him he was special because he was. It likely does absolutely nothing for him. Are the majority of Oiler's fans good? I'm sure. Does it matter in McDavid's mind? Probably not.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
McDavid answered the question as he deemed fit. He is mature beyond his age and I doubt he would think a couple hecklers represent the Edmonton fanbase. So far his character doesn't show the petty mentality of what I see in the posts in this forum. For which I am grateful to have a player of his caliber on our team (bless) and will be grateful for all the years he will be playing on it. Which I will have to say, at least for the next 8 years, will be golden. McDavid, Oilers, McDavid, Oilers. Love that ring to it. Say it out loud, so you don't forget who he plays for.

McDavid gets it, not everyone does, and I have no worries he will lead the oilers to be Great again!

They’re passionate people and passionate fans. When you’re winning, you’re a hero in this city, and when you’re losing they want to run you right out of it. They’re just passionate, and you have to be able to understand that. - McDavid

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Anyone who lives in the suburbs knows they like to associate more with said suburb than the overall city.
Even so, Edmonton is laid out like a 800,000 person town rather than a city. Poor urban planning, a lack of major thoroughfares that pass through/near downtown, an airport that's 50000 miles away, and a weirdly uncontained mix of industrial development = people confusing it for a town all the time.

There is nothing accurate about this post at all.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Chirping McDavid for Edmonton's problems is the dumbest thing Ive read in a long time

Funny coming from a Toronto fan. Toronto fans ran Kessel out of Toronto under the same dumb reason

Dont get me wrong, Edmonton fans are incredibly wrong for doing it. But most Canadian team shave dumb fans

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
There is nothing accurate about this post at all.

I would say the first part is. People living in St Albert, Sherwood Park, Fort Sask, Spruce Grove, Leduc, etc. don't say they live in Edmonton. Unless he means literal suburbs like Ambleside and in that case I don't know what he's on about.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I would say the first part is. People living in St Albert, Sherwood Park, Fort Sask, Spruce Grove, Leduc, etc. don't say they live in Edmonton. Unless he means literal suburbs like Ambleside and in that case I don't know what he's on about.
People from Airdrie, Cochrane or Okotoks don't call themselves Calgarians either.

The only area of Edmonton I might agree with is the artsy folks and hipsters who point out they live in Strathcona, lol.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I, like many denizens of this fine prairie town, live here because I have a good job that pays well, and requires me to live here. However if I could be afforded that same position in an industry i really enjoy 250 kms south and far closer to chinooks and mountains, I would definitely do it.
Until such a day, I will take up the battle cry of all Edmontonians and ruthlessly chirp anything I possibly can.
Edmonton > Calgary in that respect

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
People from Airdrie, Cochrane or Okotoks don't call themselves Calgarians either.

The only area of Edmonton I might agree with is the artsy folks and hipsters who point out they live in Strathcona, lol.

To be fair though, Sherwood Park, St. Albert and Fort Sask should be part of Edmonton from a geographic standpoint, as they all share a lot of border space, but politics (and in St. Albert's case, partially religion re: their primary school system) keeps them separate.

Calgary does not share a geographic border with any of the cities/towns you mentioned.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
To be fair though, Sherwood Park, St. Albert and Fort Sask should be part of Edmonton from a geographic standpoint, as they all share a lot of border space, but politics (and in St. Albert's case, partially religion re: their primary school system) keeps them separate.

Calgary does not share a geographic border with any of the cities/towns you mentioned.

Edmonton doesn't share a border with Leduc or Spruce Grove either. Perhaps those other towns SHOULD be swallowed by Edmonton, but they aren't a part of Edmonton in actuality, so why would they consider themselves Edmontonians?

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
He could've put up 180 pts last season and they wouldn't have made the playoffs. Find someone else to chirp. Maybe Lucic.

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
Edmonton doesn't with Leduc or Spruce Grove either. Perhaps those other towns SHOULD be swallowed by Edmonton, but they aren't a part of Edmonton in actuality, so why would they consider themselves Edmontonians?

Well there's a reason I mentioned them after the first three.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad