McDavid on playing in Edmonton during a losing season

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Probably just coming from his heart. I mean theres nothing good about being in Edmonton when youre losing. At least if youre playing in Florida or Anaheim and you suck you can go chill at a beach without being harassed. If you go to the beach outside of the summer in Edmonton youre probably not coming home.
I dont think Edmonton has beaches

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Puke, that article is awful. Writer must of done zero research, doesn't know the legal drinking age in Alberta and thinks McDavid answers directly to Wayne Gretzky. GQ should stick to their Swiss watch reviews, Manscaping tips, and Hugo Boss fluff pieces.

Not really a big McDavid fan or anything but what exactly do you expect him to say about playing in Edmonton during a losing season? That it was all sunshine and gummi drops? That it didn't bother him? We'll gettem next year?Got 100 million guaranteed and a better haircut so wtf do I care :laugh:?

That's a loser mentality I'm sure Oil fans have seen enough of, got to be encouraging to see this one's made of stronger stuff than the guys who'd pack it in by February every year.

Reactions: nturn06

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Poor kid....one day you shall be set free.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Never understood people who chirp at celebrities like this in public. Mcdavid's a good player, he certainly doesn't deserve to be called out in public.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Lol anyone who lives here knows that this is a reality and not just "some random NBA fans" or other diminutions. Edmontonians are just like this. I've been here 10 years now and nothing at all has changed about this city. People chirp for a living here because it makes them feel better about their own lives.

Reactions: Bedards Dad

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Well, when you're the sole reason your team is even in consideration for playoff contention, there's a fair bit of responsibility that comes with it.

If the Oilers lay yet another egg this season, he'll hear it even more. :help:

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Id like to just point out with the suburbs Edmonton has over 1 million people...surely we can upgrade from town to city

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
Okay, Leaf bias aside, even "I desperately wanted Connor cuz I love the kid" aside, I have multiple Oilers jerseys. Every hockey fan I interact with a lot on Twitter is an Oilers fan, cuz they have probably the smartest fan base in the league. If you're ever tired of the cult of Steve Yzerman? Oilers fans are the only ones who ever saw through that. They're hilarious, smart, great guys. I have multiple Oilers jerseys, because just randomly they've had several guys I loved really hard (my first was Ryan Smyth, but not-coincidentally here, my last was McDavid), and the only other non-Leaf team I have multiple of is Philadelphia (Lindros and Roenick). If he wasn't signed another eight years, this would be a rough read for Oilers fans. It sounds really sad. I got a lot of love for the Oilers, and if I was gonna pick who'd be the next Blackhawks or whoever, run of titles type of team, and couldn't make it the Leafs, no second thought, it's the Oilers. But some stuff has to be fixed there. Thankfully, they already have the high-end talent. They're somehow squandering an insanely great group of high-end talent, BUT, thankfully, once Chia gets fired in April, if they replace him with someone halfway competent, it shouldn't be hard to turn McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Nurse, Klefbom, and now Yamomoto, and Evan Bouchard into an actual team. But boy, it shouldn't have taken this long.

Reactions: zar

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Id like to just point out with the suburbs Edmonton has over 1 million people...surely we can upgrade from town to city

Anyone who lives in the suburbs knows they like to associate more with said suburb than the overall city.
Even so, Edmonton is laid out like a 800,000 person town rather than a city. Poor urban planning, a lack of major thoroughfares that pass through/near downtown, an airport that's 50000 miles away, and a weirdly uncontained mix of industrial development = people confusing it for a town all the time.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Hard to feel sry for someone who earns more then most can dream of by doing something, in the grand scheme, totally pointless.

That said those guys are obviously not very nice.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Anyone who lives in the suburbs knows they like to associate more with said suburb than the overall city.
Even so, Edmonton is laid out like a 800,000 person town rather than a city. Poor urban planning, a lack of major thoroughfares that pass through/near downtown, an airport that's 50000 miles away, and a weirdly uncontained mix of industrial development = people confusing it for a town all the time.
literally no one does that

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

in other words a Flames fan oppinion about Edmonton must be everyone's opinion.

Simonizer

Sep 23, 2015
Lol anyone who lives here knows that this is a reality and not just "some random NBA fans" or other diminutions. Edmontonians are just like this. I've been here 10 years now and nothing at all has changed about this city. People chirp for a living here because it makes them feel better about their own lives.

Says the guy chirping Edmonton.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

yeah, making jokes about women with bruises is hilarious :facepalm:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

You could always just move 250km south and then you wouldn't have to deal with what seems to be causing major life issues. People chirp everywhere for a living since it makes them feel better, I mean, youre basically doing just that.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
You could always just move 250km south and then you wouldn't have to deal with what seems to be causing major life issues. People chirp everywhere for a living since it makes them feel better, I mean, youre basically doing just that.
I, like many denizens of this fine prairie town, live here because I have a good job that pays well, and requires me to live here. However if I could be afforded that same position in an industry i really enjoy 250 kms south and far closer to chinooks and mountains, I would definitely do it.
Until such a day, I will take up the battle cry of all Edmontonians and ruthlessly chirp anything I possibly can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->