McDavid on playing in Edmonton during a losing season

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
McDavid gave an interview with GQ and opened up about playing in Edmonton during a losing season. Some honest answers from the usually reserved McDavid.

Connor McDavid Is Done Being Chirped At

How miserable was the town of Edmonton during a losing season last that?
It was awful. It was terrible. It was miserable around town. I remember everyone just chirping at you all the time. I was at dinner one time with my parents, and I was walking out and guys were chirping me. They’re passionate people and passionate fans. When you’re winning, you’re a hero in this city, and when you’re losing they want to run you right out of it. They’re just passionate, and you have to be able to understand that.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Probably just coming from his heart. I mean theres nothing good about being in Edmonton when youre losing. At least if youre playing in Florida or Anaheim and you suck you can go chill at a beach without being harassed. If you go to the beach outside of the summer in Edmonton youre probably not coming home.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Isn’t this an old story about the fans disrespecting him when he was out with his parents? Pretty sure there was video.

As for going through a losing season I’m pretty sure it’s the same for every team in every sport. Obviously no one likes to lose. As for the players they spend so much time training and preparing and losing can take a toll on you mentally. It’s not fun but it definitely builds character.

When your eliminated from the playoffs and your in game #65 and you’re still playing with pride and showing up everyday it shows a lot about the type of player and person you are.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Fans get impatient when their teams don't win and more at 11....

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
McDavid gave an interview with GQ and opened up about playing in Edmonton during a losing season. Some honest answers from the usually reserved McDavid.

Connor McDavid Is Done Being Chirped At

Hold on!!!!
Are EDM fans really that dumb to chirp their best player since Messier???

edit: not oiler fans just nba watching kids that migrated to edmonton

No instead they’ll make up fake stories about hot dogs

That's the media, not the fans.

Edit: Saw the video. Those kids don't watch Hockey. They watch the NBA.
total losers. Those aren't oiler fans.

Last edited:

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Every city has fans that are losers, players that play in a fishbowl market (any Canadian city) will have to deal with more.

Those guys heckling McDavid and his parents outside the restaurant are a prime examples of those losers.

Reactions: Riddum and zar

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This was reported at the time it happened. McDavid was chirped by some young teenagers, while he was eating with his family.

The vast majority of Oiler fans shield McDavid from criticism. Also remember that we have plenty of Flames and Canucks fans here in town as well.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Those guys at that restaurant who chirped him needed a beating.

Didn’t that animal issue an apology on twitter afterwards because of the response from the fans? I seem to vaguely recall something along those lines

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Didn’t that animal issue an apology on twitter afterwards because of the response from the fans? I seem to vaguely recall something along those lines
Not sure, I don't remember, that was still beating worthy though, even if he apologized.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Chirping McDavid for Edmonton's problems is the dumbest thing Ive read in a long time
These people aren't real fans they saw an opportunity to be the POS of the day that gets newslines (like when it happened) hoping to catch some sort of fame off of it. You got 99 percent of the city that would bend over backwards for this guy and we have to pretend like the 1 percent of shitheads (that resides in every city btw) is an accurate representation of what Mcdavid has to go through with fan interactions.

Reactions: snipes

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Honestly I think Edmonton fans are more ruthless than Toronto. They were absolutely miserable a few years ago with their jersey tosses. (Yes Toronto has had a couple too .

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Honestly I think Edmonton fans are more ruthless than Toronto. They were absolutely miserable a few years ago with their jersey tosses. (Yes Toronto has had a couple too .
Both cities are miserable to play in when your team is losing.

As it should be in a hockey crazed market.

Toronto fans are forgiving of their stars, the media is not.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Restaurant vid:

Comments afterwards:

Does anyone actually think these *****ebags represent Oiler's fans?

People think/believe that the morons who threw jerseys on the ice during play represent Leafs fans.

There are stupid people all over the world

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
This thread is just bait for the "Mcdavid will leave lololo" crowd. The few f***tards that say that stupid shit to him do not represent the million in the city that worship Connor like a god. Its sad that he doesnt mention the overwhelming support and love he gets but talks about one or two moments where a dumbass decided to show how stupid he/she really is.

Toronto/Edmonton are top 3 most passionate fanbases out there along with MTL. In these cities hockey is huge, like HUGEE. Everyone grows up playing/watching or being connected to hockey somehow. Which means that the hockey teams have armies of extremely loyal and passionate fans. When the fans are giving the team everything but the team isnt doing f*** all for them that leads to an army of pissed off people. All 3 of these fanbases can relate:
-Edmonton decade of darkness/still inept management
-Toronto's 51 years of nothing, complete incompetency but they have turned it around very well
-whatever the f*** is happening in MTL rn
All we want is a good hockey team to represent us and be fun to watch. 99.9% of fans are incredibly loyal and passionate and dedicated to their teams. But occasionally you find the one dumbass that will stupidly chirp a player/burn a jersey/throw a jersey onto the ice. These 1 in a million jackasses don't represent the majority of fans who show undying loyalty to their team.

/Rant

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad