McDavid breaks Lemieux's record for highest involvement on team's offense

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Christ, the media is soooo thirsty to put put stuff about how great McDavid is, I am afraid to think about what is going to happen if he keeps this up for the next 15 years and actually comes within reach of 99s records. The freaking collective media nerdgasm might cause the end of mankind.

Not happening. He's already so far behind it's ridiculous.

After 6 seasons McDavid has 195 goals and 574 points.
After 6 seasons Gretzky has 429 goals and 1,122 points. Gretzky has more than double the goals, and almost double the points.

He probably won't even reach Gretzky's 10-year career numbers, and there's no shame in that.

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
Christ, the media is soooo thirsty to put put stuff about how great McDavid is, I am afraid to think about what is going to happen if he keeps this up for the next 15 years and actually comes within reach of 99s records. The freaking collective media nerdgasm might cause the end of mankind.

So as a hockey fan you'd prefer to not have a player being that great because media would write so much about him? Ooook.

Reactions: shaner82

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
So Oilers are gonna win the cup next year then?

What I find amusing is that Michael Jordan and Mario Lemieux both won their first championship in 1991, and both in their 7th season.
Next season is McDavid's 7th season. We'll find out if he has reincarnated the spirits of Mario and Michael.

Edmonton Oilers, 2022 Stanley Cup Champions
Tasty

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Not only did McDavid break this record of Lemieux, he also broke the record in percentage of team goals assisted by one player. The previous record belonged to Wayne Gretzky in his all-time high 163 assist season when he in total assisted 163 of 426 goals scored by the Oilers, a percentage of 38.26%. McDavid this season assisted 72 of his teams 183 goals, a percentage of 39.34%. When you break both Lemieux's and Gretzky's record in one season, it's been a pretty good season so far for McDavid.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Extremely impressive regarding him and at the same time every reason why he has no chance to win a cup right now with the Oilers

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
Extremely impressive regarding him and at the same time every reason why he has no chance to win a cup right now with the Oilers

Just have to get to the dance. Anything can happen after that.

Often the goalie who plays the best wins the series. Edmonton has at times had very strong goaltending this year. I don't see it happening, but it's not impossible

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
So as a hockey fan you'd prefer to not have a player being that great because media would write so much about him? Ooook.
I'm just sick of the way they reshuffle the numbers to make current guys stats better. The other day someone on Twitter was claiming McDavid had the best "Era adjusted" season and now his number was better than Gretzky's best season. They can stuff that crap. IMO, you wanna be the man, you gotta beat the man. Put up 213 or keep it moving.

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
I'm just sick of the way they reshuffle the numbers to make current guys stats better. The other day someone on Twitter was claiming McDavid had the best "Era adjusted" season and now his number was better than Gretzky's best season. They can stuff that crap. IMO, you wanna be the man, you gotta beat the man. Put up 213 or keep it moving.

To nitpick 215, or 216 to break the record ;)

Jokes aside I disagree. You can look at the goals per game average and clearly see 215 points today would be more impressive than in 8x. What's most relevant however in my opinion - and it completely eliminates the factor of varying scoring levels of different eras - is to look at how players fare compared to their own peers. Gretzky is otherworldly concerning outproducing his peers, and this was actually the first year McDavid clearly beat Crosby in that aspect.

Reactions: cptjeff

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I'm a Pens fan and Lemieux is my all time favourite player - strong words from a Modo fan growing up in the same region as Forsberg and the other Modo greats - but I like this post.

Gurglesons: Of course the record being broken is a story and a cool thing. At the same time of course you can bring up arguments why (if you think that's the case) the record lacks strength or whatever, but to just downplay/deflect from it right away is a bit silly in my opinion. Also, after your "should win cup next year" comment was proven incorrect you don't acknowledge that you were wrong but again go into deflecting with another comment (the drafting Jagr one).

Btw, I don't get the deflecting over to Jagr comment as the Pens drafting him (and doing other moves to reach the very strong 90-91 roster) is an argument for Lemieux not taking the Pens far before he got significant reinforcements, not an argument praising him (though there are of course another 100 strong arguments for praising him and in my opinion ranking his as number two or three all time). Maybe it's a comment do diss the Oilers' depth which is valid of course, though personally I really like their long term position with the good youth coming in. Anyway, it is very unlikely McDavid surpasses Lemieux on the all time best list, which can be calmly and politely pointed out (if that's what you want to do).
Perhaps you have confused my post with someone else's...? (I've no idea what you're responding to here.)

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
Perhaps you have confused my post with someone else's...? (I've no idea what you're responding to here.)

I did quote your post intentionally, wrote that I liked it and then in the same post went on to reply to the guy you replied to. It certainly became very unclear :)

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
For anyone curious, future non-Hall of Famer, Rob Brown had 115 points in 1988/89 playing with Lemieux.... This is totally unlike Leon Draisaitl, who in no way gets a boost in his points from playing with McDavid.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
This is a Mario record that I thought would never be broken. To be honest, I probably would be more angry than celebratory about it if I were an Oilers fan.

It requires a dubious combination of a once in a generation talent, and complete offensive ineptitude to achieve.

Lemieux missed 4 games that year.

OvieGreat8

Apr 17, 2021
Remember when Mario scored 199 points and 85 goals and still did not win Hart trophy....fun politics.
If it was soccer, McDavid would not win Hart right now either.

Lewandowski has 10 goals more than Messi/Ronaldo in less games and one of the greatest seasons in history and they still won't give him Top player award.
But even hockey is not that bad. lol

Reactions: Eisen

harvestglen

Oct 29, 2013
Hmm. My bet at the start of the season on McDavid to win to Art Ross looking pretty good right about now. 2.5-to-1 odds. :D

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Amazing feat, but shows how terrible the rest of the team outside Drai is. They need to draft a couple more high end guys a la Jagr and Recchi then some shrewd trades like the ones that brought in Francis, Samuelsson, Murphy to become a contender the way Pittsburgh did from 1989 to 91.

Reactions: cptjeff

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
Actually, the year after the 57% Lemieux season, the Pens missed the playoffs (for the 5th time in Lemieux's then-6 seasons).
And that was with 16 playoff spots for 20 teams. How can you make such a weak team for that long with Mario in it :huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00