McDavid breaks Lemieux's record for highest involvement on team's offense

412 Others

5Cups beats 2Cups
Mar 24, 2009
Black + Gold = Pittsburgh

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Just imagine if the Oilers had any semblance of a roster outside of McDrai.

What a disservice Oilers management is doing to them.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I watched him play too. Act 1 in the late 80s (windmill goal celebrations), and act 2 in the late 90s(hair plugs). Never implied he wasn't skilled, but 88-89 was the last year he finished > PPG.

He had 212 points his last year of junior and beat the next leading scorer in the league by 66 points........

Pens fans act like Lemieux was playing with a guy that didn't know which end of his stick to hold onto. Come on.:help:

Reactions: iCanada

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
This is a Mario record that I thought would never be broken. To be honest, I probably would be more angry than celebratory about it if I were an Oilers fan.

It requires a dubious combination of a once in a generation talent, and complete offensive ineptitude to achieve.

When a guy has 105 points in 56 games, it doesn't actually require offensive ineptitude from the rest of the team.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
I think Oiler fans and Pens fans are over the moon we're the only 2 franchises that are ever allowed to have these caliber of players.

The other 29 teams can suck it.

If the wheels fall off of the Penguins in the next 2 years, I hope they land Connor Bedard.
During all the years I watched hockey Pittsburgh or Edmonton has had one of the greatest talents out there. So it feels right even for a none fan of the teams ;)

But I also do think both Detroit and Boston has something to say about having one of the greatest talents ever on their team :D And if Crosby-level counts, so does Washington, Philly, Chicago and some others as I see it.

And I also find it funny that Penguins might be lined up perfectley for their own Connor.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Draisaitl's 45.9% isn't exactly shabby either. I imagine it would be ranking pretty highly too. Having watched probably close to half of the Oilers' games this year, it's really quite clear that McDavid and Draisaitl are driving that offense to a highly unusual degree. It will remain to be seen if that's a formula that can win in the playoffs.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
this is why I think he should win the Hart. Hate the Oilers or Mcdavid, but as hockey fans you guys need to be able to recognize who is the best in the sport you claim you follow closely.
Hart trophy has lost all its credibility. Main one is Ted Lindsey where money and sucking up to fan base isnt involved.
McDavid should win Ted Lindsey.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
And a player.
"McDavid with a little shot at the media. He says he doesn't have a lot of faith in the media's voting for the Hart Trophy, but he thinks the players will "get it right" and name Draisaitl the Ted Lindsay winner.
1:10 PM · Jul 21, 2020·Twitter Web App"
Naturally the players prefer the trophy they vote for.
Hart is still the top prize.

Reactions: Hatfield

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
Wayne Gretzky and Connor McDavid are the two greatest hockey players of all-time. Edmonton Oilers fans are sure lucky!

Reactions: Draiskull

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Naturally the players prefer the trophy they vote for.
Hart is still the top prize.
based on what? media hype?
opinions of your peers > opinions of media influenced by ratings/ money

If media glorifies Ted Lindsey award then it would become the top prize. They obviously would not because it takes away their power.
Hart is just a media award and media likes things spiced up.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Wayne Gretzky and Connor McDavid are the two greatest hockey players of all-time. Edmonton Oilers fans are sure lucky!
well many of us are not because there were a lot of dark days between those 2 generations.
I started following Oilers in 1991 right after Messier left and have seen a whole lot of suck. Glad my kids wont have to go through that pain due to McDavid.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
McDavid is awesome. I don't think he missed any games this year though, Mario did. And Mario had a bad back most of the year to the point where he had to have somebody tie his skates for him. It's a shame the guy was never fully healthy because he was just an incredible player.

As for McD, I think he hits 150 next year. Crazy total for this day and age but I think he can do it.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Christ, the media is soooo thirsty to put put stuff about how great McDavid is, I am afraid to think about what is going to happen if he keeps this up for the next 15 years and actually comes within reach of 99s records. The freaking collective media nerdgasm might cause the end of mankind.

He has a lot of catching up to do in order to come anywhere close to any of Gretzky’s career records.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad