McDavid breaks Lemieux's record for highest involvement on team's offense

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
That's not a good thing. It's impressive for the individual, it IS McDavid after all but trying to win a Cup? Lol.

Reactions: cptjeff

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
How is that an NHL record if Jagr had something like 61 or 62% in the 99/00 season?

He didn't. Especially since he only played 63 games that year. Unless you only include the 63 games he played in? Which if true, would be equally if not more impressive IMO.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
One guy making 82% of a teams offense screams “deep playoff run”

Hopefully they do a good job surrounding him with depth smartly (ie not overpaying free agent bottom six players) this offseason and however many

It’s nice to focus on the positives of McDavid, but there’s an obvious negative implication of having a player that big of a %
Yeah, it is a very bad thing to have as guy so good that he hits numbers like that. You cannot then have the ability to surround that guy with anybody.

People just aren't used to having a guy like that these days. Have a Matthews, Marner, etc (IE lower tier guys) and it feels normal, especially when you have other guys that are regulars around

Then you have a Drai and McDavid and everybody else just looks like sh** even more

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Yeah, it is a very bad thing to have as guy so good that he hits numbers like that. You cannot then have the ability to surround that guy with anybody.

People just aren't used to having a guy like that these days. Have a Matthews, Marner, etc (IE lower tier guys) and it feels normal, especially when you have other guys that are regulars around

Then you have a Drai and McDavid and everybody else just looks like sh** even more
Oilers have other players but nobody but oilers fans would say they have top 5 depth, probably a few away from 5th ie legit contender status. Obviously I wasn’t saying it’s bad to have a great player but you generally want your production potential spread.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Oilers have other players but nobody but oilers fans would say they have top 5 depth, probably a few away from 5th ie legit contender status. Obviously I wasn’t saying it’s bad to have a great player but you generally want your production potential spread.
umm, none of us say that. It is our biggest downfall right now.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
umm, none of us say that. It is our biggest downfall right now.
I guess I misread how you read my post lol. I wasn’t saying it’s bad to have a good player ; old Caps where Ovi was a massive % of our goal production when we had worse depth, weren’t legit contenders and it showed

412 Others

5Cups beats 2Cups
Mar 24, 2009
Black + Gold = Pittsburgh
Yeah but when Lemieux did it he DIDN'T win MVP. That was the real untouchable feat by Mario that year. (thanks to #99 inspiring a few California boys to buy roller blades in 1989, there was a bit of a "script" working against Lemieux.)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This is a Mario record that I thought would never be broken. To be honest, I probably would be more angry than celebratory about it if I were an Oilers fan.

It requires a dubious combination of a once in a generation talent, and complete offensive ineptitude to achieve.

I was curious so I did some math. If you rank the points leaders for each team, the middle comes in at 50 points. The Oilers scored just under 80 goals without McDavid. So can we say with an average points leader the Oilers would have had about 130 goals?

That's not league worst, but it's still really bad, 29th in the league.

After some thought, I think they'd still score a lot more than 130 goals. You have to consider that Draisaitl had 80-some points and Barrie 48, and so on, and this technique of subtracting 104 and replacing it with 50 ends up removing too many of their points. Draisaitl would still have 60-70 without McDavid, and the Oilers at least 150+ goals.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah but when Lemieux did it he DIDN'T win MVP. That was the real untouchable feat by Mario that year. (thanks to #99 inspiring a few California boys to buy roller blades in 1989, there was a bit of a "script" working against Lemieux.)

And also somehow lost the Pearson to Yzerman

Spoilers

Jun 24, 2018
The Oilers are nothing without McDavid this year. Anyone not voting Hart for him is being ridiculous. It hasn’t been this obvious in years.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
That's not a good thing. It's impressive for the individual, it IS McDavid after all but trying to win a Cup? Lol.

It's too bad that having a player that good means you are at a disadvantage when it comes to winning Cups. :thumbu:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Unfortunately for Edmonton fans, that's not a good thing. Great for him individually, but he's not going to win the Cup by himself.

The year Lemieux did it, his team won one round, and didn't even make the playoffs the next year.

Reactions: cptjeff

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Super impressive. What an incredible talent.

Can't wait to see him in the playoffs this year.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Let's also not forget that Lemieux turned Rob Brown into a 115 point scorer that season, which gave him the confidence to date Alyssa Milano. The center playing in Pittsburgh, not LA, made that happen for his winger.

Once again the myth that Rob Brown wasn't a skilled hockey player.

Rob Brown [ca.1983-2003] Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

I actually saw Brown play he wasn't a guy who brought his lunchbox but points were never a problem for him.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
People are questioning a record when it's done with less games than a usual full season and therefore prorating stats from a Oilers player when comparing with a Penguins player. Got to love the irony.

I think Oiler fans and Pens fans are over the moon we're the only 2 franchises that are ever allowed to have these caliber of players.

The other 29 teams can suck it.

If the wheels fall off of the Penguins in the next 2 years, I hope they land Connor Bedard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad