McDavid breaks Lemieux's record for highest involvement on team's offense

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
For anyone curious, future non-Hall of Famer, Rob Brown had 115 points in 1988/89 playing with Lemieux.... This is totally unlike Leon Draisaitl, who in no way gets a boost in his points from playing with McDavid.
Durrrr, hurrrr duuuurrrrrrrrr. Your comment matches my response in silliness. Try again sir.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
McDavid had more points in his last 14 games than anybody on NJ had all year lol

Add Detroit to that list too.

Our top two forwards combined only had like 6 less points all season than he did in 14 games :laugh:

I believe he paced for more over a full 82 game season than our top 4 scorers combined

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
For anyone curious, future non-Hall of Famer, Rob Brown had 115 points in 1988/89 playing with Lemieux.... This is totally unlike Leon Draisaitl, who in no way gets a boost in his points from playing with McDavid.

Biggest urban rumour in the league is that Draisaitl is like a top 5 player or something.
This guy's numbers fall off hard as a centre, on his own line; but I mean, you found two players that compliment each other very well, and that's a big reason Edmonton's enjoying playoffs right now.

Reactions: cptjeff

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I wonder where Kariya in 95-96 ranks.

Take out Draisaitl, and the team stats look similar to that, albeit in 82 games.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Comparing Rob Brown to a hart trophy winning player is a pretty dumb take. I get you don’t like the Oilers and your team is bad, but this is a dumb one.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Biggest urban rumour in the league is that Draisaitl is like a top 5 player or something.
You're right. More like top 3.
This guy's numbers fall off hard as a centre, on his own line;
Yeah, except for last year when he won the Hart and the Art Ross. Just a minor thing.
but I mean, you found two players that compliment each other very well, and that's a big reason Edmonton's enjoying playoffs right now.
Yeah, I mean it's not like teams' winning games is the point of hockey or anything.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You're right. More like top 3.
Yeah, except for last year when he won the Hart and the Art Ross. Just a minor thing.
Yeah, I mean it's not like teams' winning games is the point of hockey or anything.

Yeah, the Hart year, the year his most common linemate was... let me check... oh, yeah, Connor McDavid :laugh:

It’s like some people don’t know these websites exist you can look at things.

Like I said, those two found insane chemistry, but let’s not pretend this is a Batman & Superman thing, it’s Batman and Robin; they’re still the best duo in the NHL right now, but one talent is insane, the other is excellent.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He had 212 points his last year of junior and beat the next leading scorer in the league by 66 points........

Pens fans act like Lemieux was playing with a guy that didn't know which end of his stick to hold onto. Come on.:help:

Pretty much this, Brown had talent just not the toolbox or drive to succeed at the highest level.

People also tend to overlook a guy like Coffey on that team and Dan Quinn was no offensive slouch either.

Here are his scoring logs for 88-89

Rob Brown 1988-89 Scoring Log | Hockey-Reference.com

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
3 games into the playoffs, Edmonton has only scored 1 goal without McDavid on the ice. They’re so bad. I don’t understand how that organization can be that bad in terms of depth and defense.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
LOL at all the people celebrating it. It's a percentage of the team's offense, not an increase in total offense. It doesn't mean McDavid is great so much as it means that he's a great player with a really shitty forward group around him. It's not a record he or anyone else would be proud of- it's simply an indictment of how poor the Oilers' depth is. To win hockey games you have to generate more goals for the team overall, not score a higher percentage of the goals your team does score.

Reactions: Vegeta

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
LOL at all the people celebrating it. It's a percentage of the team's offense, not an increase in total offense. It doesn't mean McDavid is great so much as it means that he's a great player with a really shitty forward group around him. It's not a record he or anyone else would be proud of- it's simply an indictment of how poor the Oilers' depth is. To win hockey games you have to generate more goals for the team overall, not score a higher percentage of the goals your team does score.

Edmonton was 7th in goals scored. Just 14 less than the top scoring team. This record just goes to show how valuable he is to Edmonton. All the talk about Kane or Matthews(few months back) having a shot at the Hart was all about being contrarian

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
No way that's real. Can you provide the stats on here or some links?
154 in 82 for McDavid

38 in 82 for Hronek (yes an average D led us in points)
43 in 82 for Larkin
41 in 82 for Mantha (not even on the team anymore)
32 in 82 for Zadina

Total: also exactly 154, which drops if you dont include Mantha

Reactions: BlueAzN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad