Player Discussion Max Pacioretty -- Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Under no circumstances should he be extended. Even if he agreed to the same structure as his current deal, I still feel like he needs to go as I believe he represents what is wrong with this organization. The guy is a floating, whining, disengaged player who should have never dawn the "C" of any professional sports team, let alone the Habs. He doesn't have the makeup, personalty to be a captain. He needs to go, but I'm afraid MB has cornered himself into accepting a less than fair value deal.

Last edited:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Timing is odd...

So rumours of a LA trade, including that Max’s camp was negotiating with LA (unconfirmed)

Rumours of a SJ trade, who are in on Tavares and probably don’t want to overpay Max but would need to know they can resign him if they trade for him.

Both fall through (or don’t come to fruition)

Bergevin is seen having a lengthy discussion with Walsh.

Pacioretty drops Brisson and goes with Walsh.

I can’t imagine Montreal signing Max now, this ship has sailed imo. It’s known we are trying to move him and I don’t see how we come back tbh..Even if we wanted to resign him, there is zero rush to do so....I don’t think Bergevin was taking to Walsh about an extension..

Neither do I. I think it might have been about teams Pacioretty would be willing to re-sign with and the amount that he wants + term.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Either signs an extension july 1st or he's dealt at the deadline.

And I don't expect much past a late 1st + meh prospect if he's dealt between now and the deadline.

I agree, but the prospect will depend on how the season unfolds, Max's production level and the parity in the division of the team wanting to go All-In for the Cup.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I agree, but the prospect will depend on how the season unfolds, Max's production level and the parity in the division of the team wanting to go All-In for the Cup.

Pretty much. I look at the Rick Nash trade for what he'll return.

crazyd74

Jun 24, 2018
Apparently, deal was agreed upon with the Kings. Patches needed to agree on extension offered by the Kings. Muzzin would of been part of the deal. All this according to DansLesCoulisses.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Could this be why Pacioretty made the switch?

Maybe the Kings really liked the idea of not giving up assets.

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
Under no circumstances should he be extended. Even if he agreed to the same structure as his current deal, I still feel like he needs to go as I believe he represents what is wrong with this organization. The guy is a floating, whining, disengaged player who should have never dawn the "C" of any professional sports team, let alone the Habs. He doesn't have the makeup, personalty to be a captain. He needs to go, but I'm afraid MB has cornered himself into accepting a less than fair value deal.
There is 1 circumstance where it would make sense to keep him - albeit a very outlandish and dreamy one - and that is to entice Tavares. Having Max makes us more enticing to Tavares imo. I strongly doubt that we are in the running for JT; but if we are, I'd be willing to keep him.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
The most logical reason to trade Pacioretty at this point would be to make the Habs younger and to create cap room. The same would have applied to Radulov. who is expensive and in his 30s (note that Dallas didn't go far either). I would also trade Shaw, It's apparent that the team needs more than one fresh, talented face. Zadina might be a good start. IMO Poehling will help.

1. We don't need to get younger, we're one of the youngest teams in the NHL
2. We don't need cap space

Next.

ps: I'm all for trading Pacioretty, just not for the pointless reasons above.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
There is 1 circumstance where it would make sense to keep him - albeit a very outlandish and dreamy one - and that is to entice Tavares. Having Max makes us more enticing to Tavares imo. I strongly doubt that we are in the running for JT; but if we are, I'd be willing to keep him.

Tavares will not sign in Montreal. If he doesn't stay in NY, which he likely will IMO, he'll go to a genuine contender.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I have been defending this guy HARD in the past and always let him the benefit of doubt. But his performance in the 2017 playoffs followed by his pouting after Radulov left just did it for me. I can't stand this bitch anymore. He shouldn't play a single more game for the Montreal Canadiens. Should have been traded last March. Now it looks like we're stuck with him.

I would have made Muzzin-Pacioretty in a 1-for-1 trade. If this floater goes out west there's no way he'll flourish in this more physical style of play anyway.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Like someone mentioned earlier, Walsh isn't particularly fond of Montreal, so he may actually be a 'blessing in disguise' for an actual sign-and-trade to happen.

Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Kings got arguably an equal or better player on a shorter term for less money.

Pacioretty should look in the mirror and recognize just how one dimensional and predictable his own game has become.

He's not nearly the prize he was even 2 seasons ago.

He's much more shifty and unpredictable in how he switches agents.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Apparently this is what happened:

Friedman on how Pacioretty-to-Kings trade fell apart

Now, the other tie-in to this is Max Pacioretty. I think something happened on Saturday night where the Canadiens and the Kings were getting close. Everybody is well aware that Pat Brisson was Max Pacioretty’s agent, until either Saturday night/Sunday morning, and now it’s Allan Walsh. And I think what happened is – and it’s a difficult story to kind of pin down – but I think that the Canadiens and Kings were talking, and the Kings and Canadiens were working on an extension, and he was going to be traded with that extension. And everything fell apart.
“I don’t know if it was Pacioretty didn’t like the terms of the extension. I think that may have had something to do with it. Or there was an issue with the trade. But the bottom line is at that point, Pacioretty made an agent change, he went to Walsh

“I just think that whether it was Pacioretty didn’t like the extension, or whatever it was, something fell apart there and caused the deal to be killed that had the Kings to go Kovalchuk and give him the third year.”

Reactions: PhysicX

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
Tavares will not sign in Montreal. If he doesn't stay in NY, which he likely will IMO, he'll go to a genuine contender.
Hence why I called the scenario outlandish and dreamy. Fact remains that it’d be one of, if not - the - only scenario in which it would make sense to retain Max.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
“Now, the other tie-in to this is Max Pacioretty. I think something happened on Saturday night where the Canadiens and the Kings were getting close. Everybody is well aware that Pat Brisson was Max Pacioretty’s agent, until either Saturday night/Sunday morning, and now it’s Allan Walsh. And I think what happened is – and it’s a difficult story to kind of pin down – but I think that the Canadiens and Kings were talking, and the Kings and Canadiens were working on an extension, and he was going to be traded with that extension. And everything fell apart.
“I don’t know if it was Pacioretty didn’t like the terms of the extension. I think that may have had something to do with it. Or there was an issue with the trade. But the bottom line is at that point, Pacioretty made an agent change, he went to Walsh.
“So I think that the whole thing with Pacioretty combined said to the Kings, ‘We can’t go down that route,’ and they went the third year on Kovalchuk.

Marek was taking that information in, and asked, “If I’m hearing you correctly, he will be traded – but it’ll be a sign-and-trade so you get the extra year in?”

“I don’t necessarily think it’s going to be an eight-year deal,” noted Friedman. “I just think that Pacioretty would love to get eight years. But when his extension kicks in, he’s in his thirties. So I do think that that’s an issue for whoever tries to take him.
“No, I just think it was a sign-and-trade because I think the Kings especially want some certainty. They don’t want to acquire Pacioretty with just one year to go before he’s a UFA, and the Canadiens get a better deal if he’s more than one year to go and they have some security.
“I just think that whether it was Pacioretty didn’t like the extension, or whatever it was, something fell apart there and caused the deal to be killed that had the Kings to go Kovalchuk and give him the third year.”

https://frshockey.com/nhl/kings/friedman-on-how-pacioretty-to-kings-trade-fell-apart/

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
It's pretty clear to me Pacioretty is asking for much more from other teams than he is from Montreal. He's scared shitless to go in the Western Conference because he knows his production will take a HARD hit from playing in the bigger and grittier West. He's also worst than an ex-girlfriend who keeps texting you because he knows he'll get prime playing time in Montreal. Meanwhile he can't even buy one goal in the playoffs against the weak NYR riding shotgun for the hottest stick in the league at the time for the 1st round (Radulov).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad