Player Discussion Max Pacioretty -- Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Why are we trading anyone who can score, when we need goals? Has this 'rebuild' been confirmed, and if that is the case why not trade Weber and Price as well and go all in?

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Why are we trading anyone who can score, when we need goals? Has this 'rebuild' been confirmed, and if that is the case why not trade Weber and Price as well and go all in?

Oh he can score yes , but after that hes invisible on the ice. he will be 30 year olds soon enough , hes not worth 8m a year.

Hes 2 much of a p***y to go in the traffic and pay the price to score.
Hes also a terrible captain.

Thats why

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Oh he can score yes , but after that hes invisible on the ice. he will be 30 year olds soon enough , hes not worth 8m a year.

Hes 2 much of a ***** to go in the traffic and pay the price to score.
Hes also a terrible captain.

Thats why

You just described most of our team come playoff time, and the regular season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I keep wondering

i mean..is there a chance he DOESNt get traded? ive noticed myself acting like he's already gone but what if bergevin gives us the ol "im not giving up on my captain blah blah" shtick

I think moving him is paramount to the future of this franchise, but some wonder if we trade him for a pick or an established player?

I'm 50/50 if he gets traded. Depends on a few teams and if they are willing to give us the return we want. The best situation for us is JVR and Neal to re-sign with their teams prior to the draft. Less options in UFA this summer is better for us cause GM's who want to add scoring have less options.

There is going to be plenty of interest for Patch and all kinds of offers. We are not trading him for a low return though. Circumstance needs to work in our favor a bit IMO.

Reactions: Redux91

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Just because the rules say you can't sign someone until July 1st doesn't mean you can't sign him prior to that. You just can't announce it until then. Look at all the free agents who sign contracts of 500 pages long complete with all sorts of intricate bonus clauses and the signing is announced 30 seconds after the free agent period officially begins. Do you really think the team waited until noon on July 1st to start talking to the free agent in question? Of course not. That negotiation was probably done and dusted weeks earlier. If someone wants a signed Pacioretty the i's will be dotted and the t's will be crossed long before he's officially permitted to sign the contract. They'll just post-date the contract to July 1st and wait until the clock is running that day before faxing it to the league office.

HabsSlappy

Jul 30, 2005
Ontario

Evander Kane just got 7 years at $7M per year. Max will get at least that at the end of this season. Are you really willing to give a winger that much money?
My reasons for trading Pacioretty, and I have wanted him traded last off-season are:

1) Too much money to re-sign for a complimentary player. A very good complimentary player, but he is the kind of guy that helps you win, doesn't make you win.
2) Although he is the captain and has a good attitude and all that good stuff, I don't believe he is the actual leader of the team. The captain should be Shea Weber or Brenden Gallagher. Until one of those two are the captain, there will be issues.
3) Similar to #2, but he does not make me as a fan believe that he can rally the troops and will them to victory. Not by words and encouragement and I haven't seen him raise his game when needed to lead by example.
4) He is on a sweet heart deal right now which makes him valuable. The reason why he should have been dealt last summer.
5) Did I mention he is going to make too much money on his next contract? He just spent far too long making too little for his play and he is going to be trying to the maximum money he can get.
6) This team is in desperate need of a re-build/re-tool/re-whatever you wanna call it. He is about to hit 30 and we need to get new blood into this team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Evander Kane just got 7 years at $7M per year. Max will get at least that at the end of this season. Are you really willing to give a winger that much money?
My reasons for trading Pacioretty, and I have wanted him traded last off-season are:

1) Too much money to re-sign for a complimentary player. A very good complimentary player, but he is the kind of guy that helps you win, doesn't make you win.
2) Although he is the captain and has a good attitude and all that good stuff, I don't believe he is the actual leader of the team. The captain should be Shea Weber or Brenden Gallagher. Until one of those two are the captain, there will be issues.
3) Similar to #2, but he does not make me as a fan believe that he can rally the troops and will them to victory. Not by words and encouragement and I haven't seen him raise his game when needed to lead by example.
4) He is on a sweet heart deal right now which makes him valuable. The reason why he should have been dealt last summer.
5) Did I mention he is going to make too much money on his next contract? He just spent far too long making too little for his play and he is going to be trying to the maximum money he can get.
6) This team is in desperate need of a re-build/re-tool/re-whatever you wanna call it. He is about to hit 30 and we need to get new blood into this team.

What do you do when you don't get the return you want for Patch? Keep him and try again at the next deadline?

HabsSlappy

Jul 30, 2005
Ontario
What do you do when you don't get the return you want for Patch? Keep him and try again at the next deadline?
You cut your losses and move on...
Get something for him, because I am not, and I hope Bergevin is not willing to give the guy $7 plus million long term. The Habs probably are already dealing with diminishing returns because they have held on to Pacioretty too long and he loses value as he nears the end of his contract.

Get what you can......have a good ol' fashioned league wide auction for a week or two and take the best offer. Preferrably for futures or a young up and coming centre.

The kind of deal Bergevin should be gunning for is one where he gets an unproven but very projectable top centre. Take a leap that your scouts can do their job and find that young centre who isn't in the league yet and go get him. Just like Tampa did with the Sergachev trade. See your need, evaluate the talent and go out and get it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You cut your losses and move on...
Get something for him, because I am not, and I hope Bergevin is not willing to give the guy $7 plus million long term. The Habs probably are already dealing with diminishing returns because they have held on to Pacioretty too long and he loses value as he nears the end of his contract.

Get what you can......have a good ol' fashioned league wide auction for a week or two and take the best offer. Preferrably for futures or a young up and coming centre.

The kind of deal Bergevin should be gunning for is one where he gets an unproven but very projectable top centre. Take a leap that your scouts can do their job and find that young centre who isn't in the league yet and go get him. Just like Tampa did with the Sergachev trade. See your need, evaluate the talent and go out and get it.

I'm not willing to cut our losses with Patch. We get what we want or we keep him.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

If we can get a good centre for him, go for it. You know, about 6 years ago Patch went to Switzerland during the strike and came back quickly, tail between his legs. The official story was that he had some minor injuries but some hearsay were about disagreement with coach. Now flash forward to the World Cup and Tortorella.... strike two. Then when you look back over the years here, apart from Desharnais he never seem to have any good chemistry with anyone. So bottom line is, get a centre for him, put Drouin on the wing, give the C to Gally or Weber and we are much better as a team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If we can get a good centre for him, go for it. You know, about 6 years ago Patch went to Switzerland during the strike and came back quickly, tail between his legs. The official story was that he had some minor injuries but some hearsay were about disagreement with coach. Now flash forward to the World Cup and Tortorella.... strike two. Then when you look back over the years here, apart from Desharnais he never seem to have any good chemistry with anyone. So bottom line is, get a centre for him, put Drouin on the wing, give the C to Gally or Weber and we are much better as a team.

Patch needs to be on a line with a work horse type player... Radulov for example. Say what you want to say about DD not belonging in our top 2 center role but that little dude took a beating in order to dish the puck to a open Patch. Patch's value is as a #3 or #4 forward, not as a #1 forward and captain.

This is why we need to trade him. He is drowning in Montreal and he needs a fresh start on a deeper team up front. Habs need to recoup assets for him to accelerate our rebuild.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Patch needs to be on a line with a work horse type player... Radulov for example. Say what you want to say about DD not belonging in our top 2 center role but that little dude took a beating in order to dish the puck to a open Patch. Patch's value is as a #3 or #4 forward, not as a #1 forward and captain.

This is why we need to trade him. He is drowning in Montreal and he needs a fresh start on a deeper team up front. Habs need to recoup assets for him to accelerate our rebuild.

The problem with DD was not because he was top 2, it is because he was played as a #1

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Giacomo

Sep 26, 2017
pacoiretty will want a big contract and I don't think montreal wants to give it to him

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
pacoiretty will want a big contract and I don't think montreal wants to give it to him

it took less than a year for that narrative to change, its incredible

at the begining of the year it was "oh my god i cant believe we're going to give pacioretty a 8 year 8 mill a year extension.. were f***ed"

to now people saying "montreal doesnt want to give it to him"

i have to say, i SURE HOPe you are right about that...im still feeling there's a 25-50% chance this is all bullshit and bergevin is waiting to Extend pacioretty come july 1st, Carey Price style

part of me believes he's gone at the draft, but booooy o boy that is not a certainty at ALL

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
But they will throw dollars at guys like Alzner, and let Rads walk... you can't make this stuff up.

Reactions: ottawa

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The most logical reason to trade Pacioretty at this point would be to make the Habs younger and to create cap room. The same would have applied to Radulov. who is expensive and in his 30s (note that Dallas didn't go far either). I would also trade Shaw, It's apparent that the team needs more than one fresh, talented face. Zadina might be a good start. IMO Poehling will help.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Keeping Pacioretty means more of the same. He is a goal scorer yes but our our shortcomings lie at center, he has value so he is probably the most desirable asset that other teams might look at as a need Gallagher as well) and hopefully he gets us that young center or top pick center that we so badly need.

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad