Player Discussion Max Domi - The Maximum Dominator (70+ Point) Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
If he only surpasses Danault and not Domi then we gain nothing by moving him there instead of Domi.

The best center line in that scenario becomes Kotkaniemi-Domi-Poehling.
Domi-Koko Puffs-Danault-Poehling.

I don't see Kotkaniemi being a #1 with Domi on the team.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
We can’t play Detroit 82 times a season. It’s not going to come that easy every game. We played an awful team having an awful game. It looked like a scrimmage at times tonight.
We weren't playing Detroit at the beginning of the season when Domi was going at a PPG pace..

Those 3 compliment each other's game perfectly. Shaw's mindblowing better than he's ever been. They're not only dominant 5 on 5, but they have fun doing it with no look passes, players who act as decoys for long plays, playing patiently with the puck to find a high danger chance, etc.

Winning or not, it would be asinine to split any of the top 3 lines. Chemestey is set in.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
With how shifty Domi is, being C allows him to be more dangerous and he has two sides to beat defensemen on and create space for himself. I think being on wing limits his creativity a bit.

Also, he’s always hard on the backcheck. He was meant to be a C.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I dont see how anyone can call this a win-win up to now. They traded for a center, but got a winger. We traded for a winger, but got a likely 70 point center who also happens to be a year younger. If MB had done that and traded Domi for Galchenyuk this place would be up in arms calling it the worst deal in history.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I dont see how anyone can call this a win-win up to now. They traded for a center, but got a winger. We traded for a winger, but got a likely 70 point center who also happens to be a year younger. If MB had done that and traded Domi for Galchenyuk this place would be up in arms calling it the worst deal in history.
Definitely got the better end of the deal. I don't think anybody would swap those guys back.
What's more frustrating, and this is a similar situation with Eller and others, it's how they treated them here. We flipflopped Galch a lot. Had we just kept him on the 3rd line as a center in his rookie year, moved/let go DD the following year giving him a 2nd line center spot, and developed him at center. Who knows how he would have evolved.
Pretty sure they targeted Armia as a big Finn to possibly play with KK as well. I don't think they planned that much for Galch. Maybe Prust but he's more of a lesser Shaw than a checking winger a la Armia.

I think they just completely crapped the bed with Galch.
Same for Eller...he seemed to have been an after thought of this organization.

Drifting away...Domi has been a terrific grab. Hopefully he keeps this up.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
It is a treat to watch him fly at full speed through the neutral zone and create chances offensively. It is a big change from the guy who he was traded for who thought you need to stop skating when trying to stickhandle through defenders.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Yes, this deal is a win for us. I wouldn't undo it if I could and nor, I suspect, would anyone. However, I'm doing my part by saying that he's a 50-ish place scorer which I think gets lost when we speak of ''70 point'' players. That concept has meant something very different in the recent past than it means today. Last year, 70 points after 82 games put you somewhere around 35th in league scoring. The year before it put you in the top 20. With more or less 20 games left for everyone, there are already 17 70 pt scorers, and 62 players who have played at least 55 games who are on pace for 70 or better.

That doesn't change the fact that we won this trade by a lot.

Reactions: Wats

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Yes, this deal is a win for us. I wouldn't undo it if I could and nor, I suspect, would anyone. However, I'm doing my part by saying that he's a 50-ish place scorer which I think gets lost when we speak of ''70 point'' players. That concept has meant something very different in the recent past than it means today. Last year, 70 points after 82 games put you somewhere around 35th in league scoring. The year before it put you in the top 20. With more or less 20 games left for everyone, there are already 17 70 pt scorers, and 62 players who have played at least 55 games who are on pace for 70 or better.

That doesn't change the fact that we won this trade by a lot.
50ish place scorer is fine with me. Not every top scorer is a C, but there are 62 top 2 C's in the league and if Domi is always finishing in that sort of tier, then this is an awesome trade.

The whole year I've been in the frame of mind "Let's move domi to wing and grab another C." But if he's playing this well and driving offense like he has, why would we do that? I still think we need a bonafide #1 but if Domi can put up numbers like this as a #2 then we're in incredible shape.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The all around effort level is what has been impressing me the most honestly . His backcheck, his puck chases, etc. Everything is at top energy. That sort of thing really rubs off in a locker room when it's coming from a top 6 guy. Him and Gallagher are really setting the bar for the rest of the team to follow. He's kind of a nut case too, which I actually quite dig. We haven't had one of those since Ryan White.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I like that he was all business in those celebrations. I like that. I like his cellys too don't get me wrong but I think that was the right tone to take.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Definitely got the better end of the deal. I don't think anybody would swap those guys back.
What's more frustrating, and this is a similar situation with Eller and others, it's how they treated them here. We flipflopped Galch a lot. Had we just kept him on the 3rd line as a center in his rookie year, moved/let go DD the following year giving him a 2nd line center spot, and developed him at center. Who knows how he would have evolved.
Pretty sure they targeted Armia as a big Finn to possibly play with KK as well. I don't think they planned that much for Galch. Maybe Prust but he's more of a lesser Shaw than a checking winger a la Armia.

Agreed, they really did not bring Galchenyuk along properly. But his hockey IQ is average and his skating as well, he’s got a great release on his shot but no other parts of his game stand out at all. He was a huge hope for us back then when we were starved for a star centerman. But if you look at Kotkaniemi, he’s everything we were wishing Chucky would be and more, 7 years into his career and Kotkaniemi as a rookie is still way ahead of Chucky at playing hockey in general.

I wouldn’t trade Domi for 3 Galchenyuks.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

No question we screwed up with a lot of player development. Galchenyuk and Eller are prime examples of this. SL and Therrien were poison.

At this point though it doesn't matter. Domi's turned out to be great. I hope for the best for Chuck elsewhere but he's not for us to worry about anymore.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Galchenyuk screwed up Galchenyuk. He’s just not that good of a player. Look at his advanced stats 5 on 5, they are absolutely putrid. His lack of acceleration hurts him and his inability to play a power game doesn’t help.

Lars Eller is what he always was, a very good 3rd line centre. He just happens to produce more now because he’s on a much better team.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Agreed, they really did not bring Galchenyuk along properly. But his hockey IQ is average and his skating as well, he’s got a great release on his shot but no other parts of his game stand out at all. He was a huge hope for us back then when we were starved for a star centerman. But if you look at Kotkaniemi, he’s everything we were wishing Chucky would be and more, 7 years into his career and Kotkaniemi as a rookie is still way ahead of Chucky at playing hockey in general.

I wouldn’t trade Domi for 3 Galchenyuks.
I'd gladly trade Domi for 3 Galch...then move each one for a Domi each...:sarcasm:

I think people forget, Galch had a very good rookie year. People were just as excited about him back then as they are KK right now.
He was impressive, a lot of offensive potential, and while people started crapping on his defensive game later, in his rookie year many here were discussing how they're surprised how reliable he was defensively.

I just think we did crapped the bed completely with him.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
No question we screwed up with a lot of player development. Galchenyuk and Eller are prime examples of this. SL and Therrien were poison.

At this point though it doesn't matter. Domi's turned out to be great. I hope for the best for Chuck elsewhere but he's not for us to worry about anymore.
No doubt. Domi has been terrific.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Domi-Koko Puffs-Danault-Poehling.

I don't see Kotkaniemi being a #1 with Domi on the team.
What? Lol.

You think Domi would be on pace for a 40 point season when he was 18 years old? Or you think progression is not in the future for Kotkaniemi since he's already in the NHL?

I have a feeling that when it's all set and done, Domi will be a PPG play making right winger with Kotkaniemi.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
I'd gladly trade Domi for 3 Galch...then move each one for a Domi each...:sarcasm:

I think people forget, Galch had a very good rookie year. People were just as excited about him back then as they are KK right now.
He was impressive, a lot of offensive potential, and while people started crapping on his defensive game later, in his rookie year many here were discussing how they're surprised how reliable he was defensively.

I just think we did crapped the bed completely with him.
Yes we definitely crapped the bed, but we all followed him closely enough to know that he could not of been THAT much better then he is right now. He doesn’t have the natural hockey IQ, vision, or the skating needed to be a superstar, he never has, if it wasn’t for his great release would he even be in the NHL right now?

Even if Galchenyuk was developed perfectly, point production aside, I still don’t think he’s anywhere near the caliber of player that Domi is. Max just does so many things well on the ice because of his natural skating talent and “attitude”. Domi is a man at 23, Galchenyuk still comes off as a boy when you watch him in interviews.

Galchenyuk and Pacioretty are not the kind of players that win you a cup. Domi and Tatar seem to fit the playoff mold so much better with their willingness to get dirty.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Domi probably won't ever be an elite goal scorer but man, when he does score, there are times he makes it look so silky and easy.

Reactions: Guns n Roses

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Wouldn't work if they had played the same amount of games. Galchenyuk has 0.66 pts per game while Domi has 0.58 assists per game.

I guess we'd only know if Chucky or Domi keeps that pace.

Point is, Domi is doing just fine here. In fact, he already has more points now than Chucky had in any of his previous full seasons in Montreal and he still has 18 more games to play, so there's that.

Reactions: Guns n Roses

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Danault can’t play below 3rd C, and we are not that deep on the wings. If Poehling ends up being a legit 2C then Domi could do lots of damage on the wing as well, he has all the qualities of an excellent winger. If Poehling can’t beat out Danault for the 2C spot than sure, keep Domi at center.
What's the problem with running 4 good centers? Move him to wing or trade him then if Poehling if makes him expendable. Not a big deal.

Kotkaniemi and Domi give us two good offensive centers in the top-6 for the first time in 20 years and people can't wait to change that to... accommodate Danault lol?

Stamkos-Point, Kuzya-Backstrom, Matthews-Tavares, this is what your competition is icing. Danault sure as hell shouldn't be the threshold for the 2C spot. If Poehling can't beat out Domi than our third line will be that much stronger with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark