Player Discussion Max Domi - The Maximum Dominator (70+ Point) Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Keep Drouin/Domi/Shaw together for the rest of the year and good things will happen

We can’t play Detroit 82 times a season. It’s not going to come that easy every game. We played an awful team having an awful game. It looked like a scrimmage at times tonight.

Reactions: Archijerej

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
The only thing that makes me curious about Domi is why everyone wants him back at wing in 2/3 years...he’s really good where he is..why change?
He would be just as good at the wing if we needed to move him in the future.

Kotka 6’3
Poehling 6’2
Danault

That’s nice size at center right there, if Poehling pans out as a 2C in a couple years then Domi can be moved to the wing no problem, and if there’s an injury he’s right there to fill in. Being on the wing wouldn’t change Domi’s production, it might even slightly increase it.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Domi riding dangerously close to that point per game pace. Would be incredible to see a ppg player in a Habs uniform.

Reactions: Habsfan18

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
The only thing that makes me curious about Domi is why everyone wants him back at wing in 2/3 years...he’s really good where he is..why change?

As much as i want Duchene to slide Domi over to the wing...months ago i liked the idea...but as the season goes along.. its like you said, there isnt any reason to want to move Domi from there..he's even not bad defensively, he saved a goal defensively even tonight,
The face offs could be a bit better sure, but if you look at the list, even some all-stars hover around 40%

He's been everything and more this season tho, no doubt about that

Feb 24, 2017
As much as i want Duchene to slide Domi over to the wing...months ago i liked the idea...but as the season goes along.. its like you said, there isnt any reason to want to move Domi from there..he's even not bad defensively, he saved a goal defensively even tonight,
The face offs could be a bit better sure, but if you look at the list, even some all-stars hover around 40%

He's been everything and more this season tho, no doubt about that
If a kid has the moxy to back up the skills to be a true number one nhl centre, you let him do it and not force someone else ahead of him.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
He would be just as good at the wing if we needed to move him in the future.

Kotka 6’3
Poehling 6’2
Danault

That’s nice size at center right there, if Poehling pans out as a 2C in a couple years then Domi can be moved to the wing no problem, and if there’s an injury he’s right there to fill in. Being on the wing wouldn’t change Domi’s production, it might even slightly increase it.
Poehling would have to surpass Domi for that to happen. Not impossible but let's just say there's a steep hill to climb.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
If a kid has the moxy to back up the skills to be a true number one nhl centre, you let him do it and not force someone else ahead of him.

Oh if there is one word to describe domi it would be moxi.

So happy to see a player with personality, since he who we can not speak of.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Poehling would have to surpass Domi for that to happen. Not impossible but let's just say there's a steep hill to climb.
Agreed. But if Poehling becomes a great 2 way centerman and surpasses Danault offensively, and if Kotka becomes our number 1, then we will have to be looking at moving Domi to the wing. It’s a great luxury to have with Domi. Poehling is a Centerman that you don’t move to wing, he’s a natural, like Danault, like Pleky.

The top 6 could look something like this the season after next

Drouin-Kotka-Gally
Domi-Poehling-Suzuki
——— Danault ———

Reactions: Drouin92

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Agreed. But if Poehling becomes a great 2 way centerman and surpasses Danault offensively, and if Kotka becomes our number 1, then we will have to be looking at moving Domi to the wing.
If he only surpasses Danault and not Domi then we gain nothing by moving him there instead of Domi.

The best center line in that scenario becomes Kotkaniemi-Domi-Poehling.

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
And he has to surpass Danault too. I don't know why most people think it's a given that Poheling will be better than Danault. Danault is on pace for 56 points and is a beast defensively. I can see the argument for trading Danault for other needs if the time comes and if Poehling becomes a good 3rd line center(and Kotka+Domi become great top 6 centers), but to be so sure that he will be better than Danault...Not so sure about that.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Like I think we'd be lucky if Poehling develops into a 50 point two-way center - that's good value for a 25th pick. But let's be real, that doesn't cut it for 2C if the goal is to build a championship team.

I don't know if Domi's even the answer there either but people are way too quick to pencil Poehling in his spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
If he only surpasses Danault and not Domi then we gain nothing by moving him there instead of Domi.

The best center line in that scenario becomes Kotkaniemi-Domi-Poehling.
Danault can’t play below 3rd C, and we are not that deep on the wings. If Poehling ends up being a legit 2C then Domi could do lots of damage on the wing as well, he has all the qualities of an excellent winger. If Poehling can’t beat out Danault for the 2C spot than sure, keep Domi at center.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Domi riding dangerously close to that point per game pace. Would be incredible to see a ppg player in a Habs uniform.
Too bad it would come in a year where we might not even make the POs...and if he keeps this up next year.
8-9M ask?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Not that incredible. People's valuations of point totals this year are still stuck in an interregnum between the last few low scoring years and the new high scoring NHL. It's less incredible to do something when 37 other people are doing it.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
We can’t play Detroit 82 times a season. It’s not going to come that easy every game. We played an awful team having an awful game. It looked like a scrimmage at times tonight.

I wanna kmow what Mr.Hockey has to say on Howard’s perfomance last night.

Was he complete trash or his defense left him to dry?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I wanna kmow what Mr.Hockey has to say on Howard’s perfomance last night.

Was he complete trash or his defense left him to dry?

Their defense was brutal. But he wasn’t squaring himself up at all. He was off his angle on several of the goals.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
i prefer a player like Domi too but Keller is just a second year guy with a skill level above Domi . Keller has a great I.Q., super skater and very good vision on the ice. It's only a question of whether his size or lack of competitiveness stunts his development.
You just described Domi there. Domi has everything to be a #1 centerman except for consistency. He needs to bring his A game a little more often. Once he develops his defensive play to a higher level and starts to bring more consistency to his game, he'll be one of the better #1 center men in the league. Despite the love he gets Domi is still one of the more under rated players on this team. I see posts like this and then others that talk about moving him to the wing in a year or two.

I'm going to stick my neck out. Domi is our #1 center. It's not Koko Puffs, nor Poehling and definitely not Danault. And I'm not disparaging any of those players. Those four will make a great center core

Reactions: azcanuck

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Because he's below average defensively, and we're getting exposed regularly against strong teams.

Agreed. Some people are looking at points only. I like Domi a lot but imagine if he played with a 200' center with offensive skills? Domi on wing or center. It's a good problem to have people.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You just described Domi there. Domi has everything to be a #1 centerman except for consistency. He needs to bring his A game a little more often. Once he develops his defensive play to a higher level and starts to bring more consistency to his game, he'll be one of the better #1 center men in the league. Despite the love he gets Domi is still one of the more under rated players on this team. I see posts like this and then others that talk about moving him to the wing in a year or two.

I'm going to stick my neck out. Domi is our #1 center. It's not Koko Puffs, nor Poehling and definitely not Danault. And I'm not disparaging any of those players. Those four will make a great center core

- Offensively, Domi is the better center right now
- In the 200' game, Danault is the better center right now
- In terms of potential, Kotkaniemi is the better center if he continues to grow and add some muscle.
- Who knows about Poehling. He is our closest NHL ready player but he has to knock off one of Domi, Danault, or Kotkaniemi next season. Makes no sense having him play 4th line center.

Lets also see if we go after Duchene this July

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Until Drouin pulls his disappearing act.
The last five, six games there's absolutely nothing bad you can say about Drouin's game. He has played a great 200 foot game with hardly any brain farts. As a constant Drouin complainer I love what I'm seeing and I want o see more of this Drouin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad