Player Discussion Max Domi - The Maximum Dominator (70+ Point) Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
If he planned on it, why extend Domi to such a small bridge deal? Compare to previous season when they traded for Drouin. They believed he would be a big part of this team, they locked him up to a longer deal right away.
Because giving up over 5 million longterm to a player with 4 goals on a goalie would have been absolutely ridiculous. He planned on Domi being better than Galchenyuk. Why else would he make the trade?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Or maybe he's just not good enough to do better than he has so far. Mystery solved!
''Maybe''. Point being, we'll never know.
All we can argue on is do you think moving a prospect from one line to the next, flipflopping him from winger to center to winger to center is a way to maximize growth and potential reach?
Take Kotkaniemi. If I tell you, we're going to move him to the wing on the 2nd line next year, then move him back to center the 3rd line, and then back to wing on 2nd line, what would say?? You'd like for us to do that? Or you think he would be best serve to center his line ideally with the same linemates throughout the season while slowly increasing responsibilities?

I mean...again...doesn't take a genius.
For the record, nobody is saying Galch would have absolutely 100% became great. That's completely unknown. What people are saying is we took decisions that certainly aren't in the best interest of development. Not sure how anybody could argue against that.

Reactions: Edgy

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Because giving up over 5 million longterm to a player with 4 goals on a goalie would have been absolutely ridiculous. He planned on Domi being better than Galchenyuk. Why else would he make the trade?

Well that's the point. He didn't know. He had no idea how good Domi would become. If he did he would have gladly given him that 5M+.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Well that's the point. He didn't know. He had no idea how good Domi would become. If he did he would have gladly given him that 5M+.
:huh:

Just because he didn't expect Domi to be a 70+point center for us doesn't mean he didn't plan on him being better than Galchenyuk. Why would he make the trade if he believed that Galchenyuk was better?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
:huh:

Just because he didn't expect Domi to be a 70+point center for us doesn't mean he didn't plan on him being better than Galchenyuk. Why would he make the trade if he believed that Galchenyuk was better?

There's a bunch of reasons why they could have been interested in making this trade:
1) Domi falls under their obsession over ''good character''.
2) Domi was a RFA and will still be one at the end of his contract.
3) Galch was more expensive and just a year removed from UFA.
4) Similar to Weber trade, it wasn't necessarily about ''who's better'', and more about who's a ''better fit'' for their team.

Obviously they hoped Domi could become great. Sure they wish that of every player who comes on board their ship. Pretty sure they signed Semin hoping he would bounce back too and be great. Did they actually expect that to happen though? Given he was barely given 10 games, I doubt it.
Same here. I'm sure they hoped Domi would be great, but they didn't expect him to become as good as he has, hence the contract they signed him to.

Reactions: Edgy

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
There's a bunch of reasons why they could have been interested in making this trade:
1) Domi falls under their obsession over ''good character''.
2) Domi was a RFA and will still be one at the end of his contract.
3) Galch was more expensive and just a year removed from UFA.
4) Similar to Weber trade, it wasn't necessarily about ''who's better'', and more about who's a ''better fit'' for their team.

Obviously they hoped Domi could become great. Sure they wish that of every player who comes on board their ship. Pretty sure they signed Semin hoping he would bounce back too and be great. Did they actually expect that to happen though? Given he was barely given 10 games, I doubt it.
Same here. I'm sure they hoped Domi would be great, but they didn't expect him to become as good as he has, hence the contract they signed him to.

Tampa picked Kucherov in the 2nd round and Point in the 3rd round. When they drafted them, they didnt expect them to become this good. I guess tampa dont deserve much credit for drafting them since they basically lucked out.
Furthermore, they even bridged kucherov when he was a 60 pt player. If they knew he was going to become this good, they wouldve signed him long term at a much cheaper price.

Does Yzerman and his staff deserve full credit for drafting those 2 or half a credit like Bergevin gets for domi?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Tampa picked Kucherov in the 2nd round and Point in the 3rd round. When they drafted them, they didnt expect them to become this good. I guess tampa dont deserve much credit for drafting them since they basically lucked out.
Furthermore, they even bridged kucherov when he was a 60 pt player. If they knew he was going to become this good, they wouldve signed him long term at a much cheaper price.

Does Yzerman and his staff deserve full credit for drafting those 2 or half a credit like Bergevin gets for domi?

:huh: Not sure what any of this has to do with my post.
TB drafted those guys...so...ya, they deserve credit. Did they know Kuch and Point would become as solid? No they didn't.
What's your point? Go back up, I said Bergevin deserves credit for the trade, but he also didn't know Domi would be as good, ya. Why is that hard for some to admit?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I heard an MB interview 2-3 months ago and he was asked about Domi. And MB said that he is not as surprised as " you guys are " , meaning at least the press was my take, because he thought he woukd be a goid olayer for us, but id he think he would be this good ? MB said no, he did not expect him to be this good.

And some before that interview MB did say a consideration with Chucky was his looming UFA status.

This was a good trade by MB, a real good trade. Ckearly MB did not expect Domi to be this 0good, but I think he expected a rugged two way player who produced very well offensively in the 2nd half assist wise anyway.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
:huh: Not sure what any of this has to do with my post.
TB drafted those guys...so...ya, they deserve credit. Did they know Kuch and Point would become as solid? No they didn't.
What's your point? Go back up, I said Bergevin deserves credit for the trade, but he also didn't know Domi would be as good, ya. Why is that hard for some to admit?

What does it matter HOW good he thought a player would be and how on earth would YOU know what Bergevin was thinking? Besides, even if Bergevin “thought” Max could be a 60-65 point, hard nosed center, would it make him worse if Domi exceeded his thoughts and was even better? No. He saw a young player he liked and traded for him. Same for the Tampa analogy. They saw players they liked but that exceeded their expectations. Good for them and good for Bergevin!

Even if he thought Domi was going to be a 70 point center for us, doesn’t mean Domi wasn’t the one who wanted a shorter “show me” contract to prove his worth and get paid as such AFTER he showed what he could do because he certain didn’t justify a larger contract before he was acquired.

The thought that anyone knows what Bergevin was thinking or that contracts are one sidedly being negotiated is just plain silly. Bergevin liked what he saw in Domi and thought he’d be a good player for the Habs as he said after the trade.

He was spot on and deserves credit for a bold move as it’s paid off and he made it despite the huge fan backlash. I hope he makes more bold moves to improve the team and gets more elite talent which we desperately need.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vachon23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: