Player Discussion Max Domi - RFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
This is my take as well. I would have no problem signing him up to around 5.5M- 6M depending on term
6? 6 MIL? 6 MILLION DOLLARS?
No. Not for a 3rd line centre and YES that is what he is if you have him with anyone besides our top 2 wingers on the team for the entire season. 30 point player. Pay him like one.

Domi is passable as a 2nd line centre but not on this team as we have kids who have more upside and Danault with better 2 way game so ya, he has to and I'm sure will be gone soon.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No. Not for a 3rd line centre and YES that is what he is if you have him with anyone besides our top 2 wingers on the team for the entire season. 30 point player. Pay him like one.

He wants to get paid like a top line center since he wants the team's best offensive players to play with him, which conceivably returns him to first line status. Many in here are speculating that he'd be looking at a deal between 6-7M per.

I like him as a third line center and as many of us have posited that the team would be best served with Danault on the third line.

Now, if Danault insists that he's more than that or wants to be paid as a top line player, then we have a problem.

Last edited:

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
He wants to get paid like a top line center since he wants the team's best offensive players to play with him, which conceivably returns him to first line status. Many in here are speculating that he'd be looking at a deal between 6-7M per.

I like him as a third line center and it many of us have posited that the team would be best served with Danault on the third line.

Now, if Danault insists that he's more than that or wants to be paid as a top line player, then we have a problem.
I know MB loves him but I hope he sees that it might be better for the future of the team to trade at a time where he has big value rather than give him a big contract.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I know MB loves him but I hope he sees that it might be better for the future of the team to trade at a time where he has big value rather than give him a big contract.

If he gets a long term deal and is paid like a third line player, I don't think anyone is going to have an issue with that.

We're just not in that zone anymore, everything is up in the air.

Reactions: jaffy27

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Domi
Suzuki
Kotkaniemi
VSDanault
Suzuki
Kotkaniemi
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

To be column 1 looks much better in terms of game play, and dominate could move down to 2nd if one of the lower 2 takes over. Danault wants to keep #1, yet one of the lower two is likely to pass him.

Another thing to consider: I think the whole Domi thing is overblown. He was slotted in at 4th centre because he missed so much training time before the bubble due to diabetes, and then the Habs kicked the Penguins butts so he stayed there. Then, when the Habs faltered against the Flyers, Domi was moved up the line-up, but he didn't have time to get back in to the top 6 mode. I could easily see Domi get back to a 60-70 point player playing on one of the top 2 lines. . He brings the attitude we need on our team, and he likes playing here A LOT.

Sign Domi if we can at a good price, and move Danault to a team that needs a 2nd line centre.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Domi
Suzuki
Kotkaniemi
VSDanault
Suzuki
Kotkaniemi
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
To be column 1 looks much better in terms of game play, and dominate could move down to 2nd if one of the lower 2 takes over. Danault wants to keep #1, yet one of the lower two is likely to pass him.

Another thing to consider: I think the whole Domi thing is overblown. He was slotted in at 4th centre because he missed so much training time before the bubble due to diabetes, and then the Habs kicked the Penguins butts so he stayed there. Then, when the Habs faltered against the Flyers, Domi was moved up the line-up, but he didn't have time to get back in to the top 6 mode. I could easily see Domi get back to a 60-70 point player playing on one of the top 2 lines. . He brings the attitude we need on our team, and he likes playing here A LOT.

Sign Domi if we can at a good price, and move Danault to a team that needs a 2nd line centre.

That part is true. But he was on the wing, which is the only spot available for him to play in the Top-6. And knowing he can play center and has been successful playing it, that option is still on the table if you want to make any in-game changes.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
What would be a big contract for Danault??
Id be more than happy to re-sign him at 5m$ per for 6yrs......

Domi is more of a 6.5m$ a year guy for same term.

but who better suits the 3rd line duties??

Danault In my opinion is the perfect 3rd line guy, I'd stick Drouin to his left and Armia to his right, I believe this line would click defensively while providing offense....everybody wins

Domi would be best served as trade bait for a top line RW, a RW for Kotkaniemi to be more specific. Domi packaged with Caulfield and B prospect plus a pick should probably be enough to get us Laine if Winnipeg is looking to trade him.

Sign Hall and things are starting to shape up :)

Hall-Suzuki-Gallagher
Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Laine
Drouin-Danault-Armia
Lehkonen-Poehling-Byron

I’m liking this top 9, balanced

I’d like to trade off one of Byron and or Lehkonen for some crash and bang type players, just a different look.

Reactions: Runner77

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga

Domi is passable as a 2nd line centre but not on this team as we have kids who have more upside and Danault with better 2 way game so ya, he has to and I'm sure will be gone soon.
Just about everything you said is wrong. He's never played with our top two wingers for any significant period of time. He put up 72 points playing mostly with Shaw and Drouin. He's got 251 points in 375 games, which averages out to 55 points per 82 games. He's never put up less than 38 points, and he only played 59 games that year. He is not a 30 point player.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I like him as a third line center and as many of us have posited that the team would be best served with Danault on the third line.

Or an opportunity

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Just about everything you said is wrong. He's never played with our top two wingers for any significant period of time. He put up 72 points playing mostly with Shaw and Drouin. He's got 251 points in 375 games, which averages out to 55 points per 82 games. He's never put up less than 38 points, and he only played 59 games that year. He is not a 30 point player.
Ummm. You read that wrong. Those stats were about Danault.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
What would be a big contract for Danault??
Id be more than happy to re-sign him at 5m$ per for 6yrs......

Domi is more of a 6.5m$ a year guy for same term.

but who better suits the 3rd line duties??

Danault In my opinion is the perfect 3rd line guy, I'd stick Drouin to his left and Armia to his right, I believe this line would click defensively while providing offense....everybody wins

Domi would be best served as trade bait for a top line RW, a RW for Kotkaniemi to be more specific. Domi packaged with Caulfield and B prospect plus a pick should probably be enough to get us Laine if Winnipeg is looking to trade him.

Sign Hall and things are starting to shape up :)

Hall-Suzuki-Gallagher
Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Laine
Drouin-Danault-Armia
Lehkonen-Poehling-Byron

I’m liking this top 9, balanced

I’d like to trade off one of Byron and or Lehkonen for some crash and bang type players, just a different look.
Danault doesn’t want to be a 3rd liner and I don’t want to pay a 3rd liner 5-6-7 million per year.
Domi there is no room for him as he is not wanting to play wing.
I agree with trading Byron/Lehk for size as long as they also have skill.

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
I would keep Danault over Domi if he is cool with role and price. If not trade him. Domi and Claude do not gel, so get picks and move on. Domi has never had a chance to play with good consistent talent which is going to make some GMs wonder what he could do with some consistency, better talent, and a different coach.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Agreed - but if i'm the Habs, i'm in no rush to move Domi.

And if he has to play wing, he'll play wing.

I'm not adverse to him staying but from what we're hearing from multiple sources, they seem dead set on moving him. I just hope they get it right.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
My apologies. You just said "he" and "him" when you mentioned the stats and this is a Domi thread, so I assumed you meant Domi.
All good - I had thoughts about both and started with Danault, should have been in trade/offseason thread. However, after reading this, Perhaps Domi is the one we keep:

Reactions: FormerLurker

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
I can just imagine Claude Julien reading this.
095daa2e77b92fdc3dfdd47402e6d26a.jpg

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Please bring in at least a player like Ehlers. We really need the offense.

mynamejeff420

Apr 14, 2020

Domi's lowest point total in a full season was 45 points (he had 38 in 59, a 52 point pace, in 16/17 and 44 in 71, a 51 point pace, in 19/20). How does that make him a 30 point 3C? Seems to me like he's a solid bet to hit ~50 (and this was a down year!) which is at least 2nd line territory.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Domi's lowest point total in a full season was 45 points (he had 38 in 59, a 52 point pace, in 16/17 and 44 in 71, a 51 point pace, in 19/20). How does that make him a 30 point 3C? Seems to me like he's a solid bet to hit ~50 (and this was a down year!) which is at least 2nd line territory.
My comment was based on Danault not Domi. Yes I agree Domi is a 2C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad