Player Discussion Max Domi - RFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agree that we need to get the trade right (if we do indeed trade him, im not convinced MB is actually leaning that way) but with regards to the ROR comparison, ROR always brought a lot more than points. So while his numbers were lower than Domi's I would argue he was probably higher value than Domi is right now. Also, the Avs got more for him than just Zadorov & Grigs. I believe that Compher & a high pick went with him (and maybe someone else went the other way?)

Your point is absolutely valid though - its why I would include Caufield in a deal for Laine any day (some are balking) because with Laine you know what you have. I am really high on caufield, I think he will work out, but with prospects you never know until they've made the jump for at least a decent amount of time.

I rather keep Domi and send him to arbitration before I trade him for cheap.

And yes, I love Caufield as one of our best prospects but I would include him in a package to get Laine for sure!

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Gallagher-PressConference(20/09/14)-Domi
“Well, Max is a competitive guy... You can see when he gets going. When he's feeling good about himself and he's contributing, he is such an important piece to our team. The first year probably went a little bit better than last year in terms of points, but I don't think you can look at that. You can just look at the impact he has and when he's on, he's somebody that we definitely rely on and can carry our team.”

JimboJay

Oct 9, 2018
During the whole Aho debacle last summer, didnt Waddell make some crack about "When is Domi RFA?"

Maybe the canes want OS him and give us 1st 2nd and 3rd :laugh:

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
During the whole Aho debacle last summer, didnt Waddell make some crack about "When is Domi RFA?"

Maybe the canes want OS him and give us 1st 2nd and 3rd :laugh:
If they did MB has to match. Not interested in 2021 draft picks and certainly not a pick in the latter half of the 1st. If they went to the next level then he should probably take the picks.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
It's funny, two years ago when he was on a tear I thought "how is it possible this guy scored 9 goals the last two years?" and then after watching him I figured out why: the guy hates shooting the puck.

Now I like Domi as a guy. My in-laws got me his book for Christmas, and in it he talks about this being a problem his whole hockey career, looking for the pass too much. But last year and last playoffs was on another level. He was passing all alone slot chances and everything.

Not to mention he lost his edge last year too. When he got punched out in the preseason against the Panthers, he was never the same.

I don't know. Maybe he needs another change of scenery to finally figure it out? Or maybe the 70 points was an anomoly and all he is is a 45 pt player (which is fine, but I don't want to put him at C or pay him big money if he is.

He needs to play with someone else than Byron and Weise to get on the right track. If he passes a lot, then why isnt he playing with our best shooters like Tatat, Kotkaniemi. Why doesn't he have Gallagher to help make room for him on the ice? Because Habs.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He needs to play with someone else than Byron and Weise to get on the right track. If he passes a lot, then why isnt he playing with our best shooters like Tatat, Kotkaniemi. Why doesn't he have Gallagher to help make room for him on the ice? Because Habs.
I think Byron needs to be moved. Brings little to nothing.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
A few stats on Max on this season.
The 25 yr old led the Habs in primary assist and finished second in takeaways.
We probably should find a way to keep this guy on our team. A way that makes sense for us.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
A few stats on Max on this season.
The 25 yr old led the Habs in primary assist and finished second in takeaways.
We probably should find a way to keep this guy on our team. A way that makes sense for us.

there's already talk that his agent has met with MB to discuss a contract because he wants to stay. I think Danault is more likely to be moved

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
No way I would want that contract for a guy whose play is so inconsistent. We already have that type of contract with Drouin

Money wise hes going to get that much. There are two good comparables within his own team: Drouin (5.5 M), and Tatar (5.3M).
After his 72 pt season, we were talking about Domi getting 6.5-7 M.

As for term, I dont want to give him 2 years since he will be ufa at the end of it. So its going to be 3-5 years.

Point production wise hes been fairly consistent season to season minus the huge year he had with us:
1st year: 53 pt pace
2nd: 53 pt pace
3rd: 45 pts
4th: 72 pts
5th: 51 pt pace

5 years x 5.5 M for someone who will consistenly give you 50+ pts is fine

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Money wise hes going to get that much. There are two good comparables within his own team: Drouin (5.5 M), and Tatar (5.3M).
After his 72 pt season, we were talking about Domi getting 6.5-7 M.

As for term, I dont want to give him 2 years since he will be ufa at the end of it. So its going to be 3-5 years.

Point production wise hes been fairly consistent season to season minus the huge year he had with us:
1st year: 53 pt pace
2nd: 53 pt pace
3rd: 45 pts
4th: 72 pts
5th: 51 pt pace

5 years x 5.5 M for someone who will consistenly give you 50+ pts is fine
I also think he is on the outs with management. I think he gets jettisoned

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
So if (a signed) Kapanen gets you #15 Overall, is Bergy working the phones, offering up a, RFA Domi +#16 for #6-#9 +/- as an introduction to talk?

I personally think signing Domi while we have control is the better move. I’m not trying to sound like his agent but last year he was an author playing hockey for the first half of the season? He then became an extremely vulnerable diabetic in our covid reality, right?

As a side note many players feed off the emotion of the game.....the fans, the excitement, the anticipation, the roar that is the pulse of the Bell Centre. Look at the NBA bubble, the Raptors & the Clippers lost game 7’s where they would have been the home teams.....

Unfortunately I don’t know the atmosphere within in the bubbles, however, I’ve been to the Montreal Forum & the Bell Centre in the playoffs and the excitement is palpable!
Cheers.

Home court advantage is a lot bigger in basketball

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
there's already talk that his agent has met with MB to discuss a contract because he wants to stay. I think Danault is more likely to be moved

MB has a history of moving players like Domi who don't embrace the system, I am sure he would much rather keep Danault.

Domi doesn't want to play on the wing and does not want to accept his defensive responsibilities, unless he expresses a change of philosophy to his approach he is likely history.....unless of course he signs for cheap and/or a 1 year deal.

I will be shocked if Danault is dealt instead of Domi.

Reactions: Archijerej

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No way I would want that contract for a guy whose play is so inconsistent. We already have that type of contract with Drouin

The funny part is Domi has 0.67 pts/game and Ehlers has 0.7 pts/game and someone thinks Ehlers is a good fit for us while they ignore that he plays with a stacked top 6! Love Ehlers as a hockey player (Mooseheads fan) but he is not the type we need on wing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
MB has a history of moving players like Domi who don't embrace the system, I am sure he would much rather keep Danault.

Domi doesn't want to play on the wing and does not want to accept his defensive responsibilities, unless he expresses a change of philosophy to his approach he is likely history.....unless of course he signs for cheap and/or a 1 year deal.

I will be shocked if Danault is dealt instead of Domi.

Agreed on the bold part. I'll believe it when I see it

puckie

Jan 19, 2020

This is what I cannot stand about Claude Julien. Instead working with Domi to play with his strengths he buries him with no talent. When Domi is on I think he has almost more potential than any one of the team. This year I think he was beyond frustrated as some 24 year olds did not handle it the way he should have, but I can imagine how pissed I would be having rotating lackluster talent line mates. He started having chemistry with Kovi and CJ separates them.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I say keep him as long as it's reasonable , he's one of our few young point producers. I feel he played best as C , but something has to give there...

KK,Suzuki,Domi,Danault , pick 3.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
He is way better than Drouin. I rather see Drouin gone but there are no takers with so many teams going over the cap next year. Off course, you can flip him to Ottawa for a pick or two.

Domi is likely out, BargainBin is working the phones to get another winger or top D. My feeling is he is asking for too much and management will not pay. I would keep him if they manage to get something around Drouin money but he doesn't want to play wing. Also, I think he needs to learn to not always count on his father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->