Player Discussion Max Domi - RFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
OK, but if we move both Domi and Danault, then at best we will have two guys who get the same point totals as the two scrap heapers got just last year.

We need to keep one of the two at least, and prioritize talent if we have to.

My priority is long term. So I'm fine with trading Domi and Danault for a good return, and going with Suzuki, KK, Evans as our top 3 centers next year. We should be able to get a Nate Thompson level 4c on the UFA market.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Could you for one second imagine Domi on Tampa? He’d be Point like! We are screwed my friend.
Trade him to Detroit or Toronto... I triple dog dare us to. Hope he goes to Detroit.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
My priority is long term. So I'm fine with trading Domi and Danault for a good return, and going with Suzuki, KK, Evans as our top 3 centers next year. We should be able to get a Nate Thompson level 4c on the UFA market.
Well, of course anyone can be traded for a good return. I have no fixations. That includes Suzuki and KK. It's all about what you get back.

I will say that I don't think Evans is a 3C yet or perhaps ever. Let him first establish himself as a solid 4C and then we'll see.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well, of course anyone can be traded for a good return. I have no fixations. That includes Suzuki and KK. It's all about what you get back.

I will say that I don't think Evans is a 3C yet or perhaps ever. Let him first establish himself as a solid 4C and then we'll see.

I would only see MB trading both Danault and Domi if the return is good. So I don't even consider the alternative scenario, trading them for a mediocre return, even a remote possibility...

Even if Evans isn't ready for 3c, I still prefer him at 3c than Domi and Danault, if the scenario is Domi and Danault traded for a great return. I'm more concerned about the long term. I see us being able to find a 3c more easily than a scoring winger or a top 4 d. And Domi and Danault should be able to easily land us one of those in a trade.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I would only see MB trading both Danault and Domi if the return is good. So I don't even consider the alternative scenario, trading them for a mediocre return, even a remote possibility...

Even if Evans isn't ready for 3c, I still prefer him at 3c than Domi and Danault, if the scenario is Domi and Danault traded for a great return. I'm more concerned about the long term. I see us being able to find a 3c more easily than a scoring winger or a top 4 d. And Domi and Danault should be able to easily land us one of those in a trade.
Well, if we agree that any trade has to be for a great return, and not just "size" or "character", then I won't pursue this topic until there is a name or two we can debate.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If I'm Domi, I'm quietly pushing to be moved, and if not, stubbornly stick to a 2-year deal to take me to UFA.

MB's comments today further highlight that the best option for a skilled player is to find a different team to play for.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
If I'm Domi, I'm quietly pushing to be moved, and if not, stubbornly stick to a 2-year deal to take me to UFA.

MB's comments today further highlight that the best option for a skilled player is to find a different team to play for.

What did MB say?

Jul 6, 2016
So, we have Domi and Danault who don't like their roles, because two kids who have more talent have passed them by? Seems like we should get rid of both Domi and especially Phil I am the best C on da team, Danault.

You can't judge Suzuki and especially KK over just a 10 game sample. Danault must be kept for the time being. Domi can be traded for a much needed offensive winger.

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
What did MB say?

Basically saying Max needed to play a power game and not try so skilled game. He deflected all responsibility off himself for lack of talent Max was playing with and the coaching, and said Max should ignore any issue and just look at himself and try harder/modify his game.

Tony Marinaro asked MB something to the affect "Shouldn't a guy who led the team in points last year have a chance to play with the most consistent wingers on the team .. at least for a week?" MB deflects again and says the year he had 72 points he did not play with Galli and Tatar. MB says you can't break up a consistent line, but TM says you had two streaks of losing 8 games straight why not try it then. MB says "play better, play better." No acknowledgment of his lack talented wingers or how they changed lines yup to get other players going.

If I was Max I would want out so bad.

Jul 6, 2016
If Domi accept 100% the possibility of playing on a wing and there is no possible trade for a bigger, better scoring winger: keep him. Play him with Drouin and Suzuki.

If MB could trade Drouin or Tatar for a much needed big, good scoring winger: do it and keep Domi.

Now, I don't expect MB to get (yet) a top UFA player. But he has to stengthen his 4th line. Derek Grant and Girgensons would be two big guys who can do the job. And if for some reasons he feels that he needs a better RHD than Juulsen or Fleury, he could try to sign Carson Soucy from Minny.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Could you for one second imagine Domi on Tampa? He’d be Point like! We are screwed my friend.
Trade him to Detroit or Toronto... I triple dog dare us to. Hope he goes to Detroit.

I hope Domi stays, we send him to arbitration, and he is placed in a stable spot in the line-up where he comes into next year on a mission to prove the doubters wrong. I believe in his ability to prove the doubters wrong. He's done it before! Julien mismanaged him this past year. Not all blame falls on Domi.

mynamejeff420

Apr 14, 2020
Domi had a career low IPP% this year, with a normal IPP% he's got 51 points (~59 point pace in a full 82 game season) and nobody is complaining about him being bad or suggesting he need to be moved. Habs would be foolish to trade him now when his value is at it's lowest. They should at the very least hang on to him and wait for him to rebound next year (but better yet sign him to a long term deal and keep him because he's really good).

Reactions: Habs Icing

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
If Domi accept 100% the possibility of playing on a wing and there is no possible trade for a bigger, better scoring winger: keep him. Play him with Drouin and Suzuki.

If MB could trade Drouin or Tatar for a much needed big, good scoring winger: do it and keep Domi.

Agreed. Except, I don't think Domi-Suzuki-Drouin line would work.

I think getting a high-end, big scoring winger is a pipe dream. They always have been unicorns and I'm surprised people act as if players of that description have suddenly become available. So if we move Domi, Tatar or Drouin, I'm just gonna be happy with a return that makes sense. Still think we need a top-3 LD who can defend and drive the transition.

We should be hard on Killorn though. He would be very helpful to either Suzuki or Kotkaniemi.

Habs would be foolish to trade him now when his value is at it's lowest.

I don't think GMs are as volatile in their player evaluation as HF boards posters. I'm pretty sure there are some who see Domi as a regular 60-point player in the right environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad