Player Discussion Max Domi - RFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
At his presser Danault told you & management flat out he wants one of two things.

1) This coming season play him as a top 6 center with our offensive wingers ( and I'm not sure if he would be happy with 2nd line duties and linemates)

or

2) For his next contract pay him as a top 6 center.

Or he'll walk.

Do you want to keep a player that made those ultimatums?
We are not sure how serious he is with his ultimatums. Maybe he over-reacted in a moment of fury. And how about he becomes a winger in the top six, alternate face offs, etc. He could be a good fit with Suzuki or KK. More KK because they can both play a bang and crash hockey. Drou have some chemistry with Su. Danault have some chemistry with Gally. There is a possible good match in the top six but I think we need help on wings, a big and skilled player.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
1) This coming season play him as a top 6 center with our offensive wingers ( and I'm not sure if he would be happy with 2nd line duties and linemates)

Are we assuming that what we've seen in the playoffs from Suzuki, and especially from Kotkaniemi, is what we get for a full regular season and that Lehkonen-Danault-Byron is set in stone?

Do you assume the same scenario for Domi if Danault's traded?

Or he'll walk.

How is he going to walk if he's signed long term?

Yes. Most definitely. The choice between Domi and Danault is obvious in favor of Danault. In my opinion of course.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Are we assuming that what we've seen in the playoffs from Suzuki, and especially from Kotkaniemi, is what we get for a full regular season and that Lehkonen-Danault-Byron is set in stone?
From what I've seen Suzuki is definitely a top 6 center. KK , I have serious doubts. I'd like to be wrong but I think he'll be a #3 but stronger and more physical than Danault. Many posters rave about KK's offensive IQ and ability to set up his linemates. He had a good playoff run but I never saw
those abilities on display.
Do you assume the same scenario for Domi if Danault's traded?
No, I see Domi as a #2 and KK as #3.

How is he going to walk if he's signed long term?
I didn't mean he'll walk if we give him what he wants. I meant he's blackmailing management to give him top 6 money and term or else if they don't he'll walk. On a contender Danault is neither a #1 nor a #2. So giving Danault the money he wants is foolish in a cap world.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Danault will re-sign, he’s only trying to leverage so he doesn’t get squeezed at a $4M deal. He’s going to keep getting 17-18 TOI per game, it’s inevitable Suzuki & KK will have ups and downs as part of their growth curve.

He’ll be signed for $5M and it’ll be moot...

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
From what I've seen Suzuki is definitely a top 6 center. KK , I have serious doubts. I'd like to be wrong but I think he'll be a #3 but stronger and more physical than Danault. Many posters rave about KK's offensive IQ and ability to set up his linemates. He had a good playoff run but I never saw
those abilities on display.

Fair enough. I don't share your doubts regarding Kotkaniemi's ultimate potential, but that's a different discussion.

No, I see Domi as a #2 and KK as #3.

You are reinforcing my point, actually, although I appreciate your evaluation of Domi vs. Danault is different than mine. I agree it's far from a given that whoever stays will most definitely be outplayed by BOTH youngsters as soon as next season. Thus we're not making a choice here regarding to who do we prefer as a #3C, at least not in the short term. Whoever stays will be heavily leaned on.

As far as Danault vs. Domi, the former is just a significantly better centerman. Again, in my opinion.

I didn't mean he'll walk if we give him what he wants. I meant he's blackmailing management to give him top 6 money and term or else if they don't he'll walk.

Honestly, I don't see anything egregious in what he said. He's a top-6 centerman who's elite defensively and wants to be paid as such. He's also a pending UFA. Laying down the expectations regarding salary and role is perfectly normal. Although ideally it should not have been done in the media. For me, it's not a hanging offense, but that's me.

On a contender Danault is neither a #1 nor a #2. So giving Danault the money he wants is foolish in a cap world.

I disagree. Danault is a perfectly fine middle six centerman on a contending team. Now, whether that's a #2 or #3 depends entirely on particular circumstances. If you have two centers better than him, you're absolutely stacked down the middle.

I agree he's not a number 1 on a contender though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
At his presser Danault told you & management flat out he wants one of two things.

or

Or he'll walk.

Not really, not if he means them.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Honestly, I don't see anything egregious in what he said. He's a top-6 centerman who's elite defensively and wants to be paid as such. He's also a pending UFA. Laying down the expectations regarding salary and role is perfectly normal. Although ideally it should not have been done in the media. For me, it's not a hanging offense, but that's me.
I think you missed the part where he expressed extreme displeasure at his role in the last part of the playoffs. Danault sees himself as playing with top 6 wingers in offensive situations. When asked would it affect his decision to stay in Montreal if he wasn't utilized as he wanted, he replied yes. Do you want to take a chance on losing him after you've traded Domi? Now I'm willing to concede that Danault would sign if he's played as #3 but paid as a #2 but that's absolutely crazy. AndI'm someone who really liked Danault - until his announcement at the presser.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I think you missed the part where he expressed extreme displeasure at his role in the last part of the playoffs. Danault sees himself as playing with top 6 wingers in offensive situations. When asked would it affect his decision to stay in Montreal if he wasn't utilized as he wanted, he replied yes. Do you want to take a chance on losing him after you've traded Domi? Now I'm willing to concede that Danault would sign if he's played as #3 but paid as a #2 but that's absolutely crazy. AndI'm someone who really liked Danault - until his announcement at the presser.

I honestly believe you are blowing the presser out of proportions. It's not like Danault called a presser himself to announce to the public that he felt insulted by how he was treated during the playoffs. He responded to a question along the lines of whether he would be happy to be permanently relegated to a 3rd line role for the future -- All with contract negotiations coming up!

People should look at the situation realistically. Was Danault supposed to say, "Yeah, looking at a future where I feel underpaid for what I can bring to the team sounds perfect to me."

Or, was he supposed to outright lie?

Seriously...

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Do you want to take a chance on losing him after you've traded Domi?

That's a good point. I would come to the agreement with Danault this offseason and then trade Domi. Also, I don't want to dump Domi. I'd keep him if we can't find an offer that makes sense.

Now I'm willing to concede that Danault would sign if he's played as #3 but paid as a #2 but that's absolutely crazy.

I would pay #2 money to my #3C if it's a player like Danault or Pageau. I don't think it's crazy at at all. First, we both agreed earlier that whoever of those two stays, he's role will not be reduced to a typical #3C. Second, I firmly believe the center position is so important that it's well worth investing money. If down the road we can't afford our #3, there will be takers willing to use him in their top-6 and take his contract off our hands.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I honestly believe you are blowing the presser out of proportions. It's not like Danault called a presser himself to announce to the public that he felt insulted by how he was treated during the playoffs. He responded to a question along the lines of whether he would be happy to be permanently relegated to a 3rd line role for the future -- All with contract negotiations coming up!

People should look at the situation realistically. Was Danault supposed to say, "Yeah, looking at a future where I feel underpaid for what I can bring to the team sounds perfect to me."

Or, was he supposed to outright lie?

Seriously...

Why the false dichotomy? There's a way to say things without putting management and teamates against him, while still being honest.

Danault chose his answer.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Danaults threat is an empty one, I certainly am not afraid and am certainly not bending to HIS will

He will do what we say, or well look to move him, thats it, he talks like he has so much leverage, it feels like being french is the leverage is seems to be trying to use, I dont like it, On any other team hes a 3C

If Phil da thrill doesnt like his usage, he's free to leave

As for Domi, There is no place for him here at center anymore, there just isnt, unless they amazingly get rid of Danault, only then will Domi have a spot at center, but hes still so god damn small and weak for my liking

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Me too. Go back and see how often I defended and promoted Danault. But I've never been a fanboy. Team over player every time. If a trade makes sense, even if the player traded is a good player, then I'm ok with it, for a proper return. I'm a guy who loved Subban, rooted for Galchenyuk, defended Pacioretty, but was ok with all three trades (though I did qualify my support for the Domi trade as needing him to play C, before Ducharme and Julien even tried it, so that we could get Drouin outta there).

Reactions: Habs Icing

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Why the false dichotomy? There's a way to say things without putting management and teamates against him, while still being honest.

Danault chose his answer.

Exactly. Here's is what he could have said.

"I'm always here to help the team. I love to earn as many minutes as possible, so no matter what role the coaches have for me, I intend to play great defence and contribute offensively too."

But will your role affect your decision to stay?

"I love playing in my home area, but I'm going to let my skates and stick do my work, not my mouth. My agent will be talking with management to take care of business, while my job is to be the best player and best teammate I can be."

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

"I'm always here to help the team. I love to earn as many minutes as possible, so no matter what role the coaches have for me, I intend to play great defence and contribute offensively too."

"I love playing in my home area, but I'm going to let my skates and stick do my work, not my mouth. My agent will be talking with management to take care of business, while my job is to be the best player and best teammate I can be."

If I were honest, I would say I prefer it this way though. He let us know what he was thinking. It gives MB time to figure out a solution. Imagine if Danault did say what you wrote, our not so bright GM would think everything was A.O.K. Then again, I don't think MB will arrive at an optimal solution even with this heads up.

Reactions: Takeru

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I don't know if his agent put him up to it but Danault is not the type to make controversial or incendiary remarks.

Because he has in this particular instance, his words carry a lot of weight.

He should have cliched his way out of those questions and just let his agent make the pitch to MB. Some stuff is best not said publicly.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Danault will re-sign, he’s only trying to leverage so he doesn’t get squeezed at a $4M deal. He’s going to keep getting 17-18 TOI per game, it’s inevitable Suzuki & KK will have ups and downs as part of their growth curve.

He’ll be signed for $5M and it’ll be moot...
This is my take as well. I would have no problem signing him up to around 5.5M- 6M depending on term

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
This is what I mean about being afraid if we decide we want to trade Domi. So the guy is tall. Big deal. He weighs less than Suzuki.

In his last TWO seasons Buchnevich has 84 points and a -8.
Domi has 116 points and is a +17.
But that is not surprising. Pavel was drafted 75th and Domi 12th in the same year.

Domi is 7th in career points from his draft year. Buchnevich is 15th with more than 40% fewer points.

No thank you!

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
Not a question of if Domi gets traded, it a question of when.

Having him play under CJ for another year would be a train wreck waiting to happen, or he would get buried on the 4th line like we saw.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Draft is happening in less than a month from now on. I expect Domi to be out before the draft. I feel like Domi will be traded alongside with picks

There is really no rush, though. It depends on when the right deal comes along. If it comes earlier, all the better.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad