Player Discussion Max Domi - Lookin' Good Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Rielly is a young #1 dman locked up on a sweet contract. This year could just be an anomaly for Domi...

Work ethic and passion isn't a anomaly. I'm not saying I would not want Rielly. Of course, he is a much better player than Golden boy and I would be more than happy with Rielly. I just glad they flipped the partier for a player.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Work ethic and passion isn't a anomaly. I'm not saying I would not want Rielly. Of course, he is a much better player than Golden boy and I would be more than happy with Rielly. I just glad they flipped the partier for a player.

Just a question... I wonder what Rielly would look like today on the Habs roster if we drafted him? I do remember him being one of my choices for us to pick back in 2012.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hard to say - won't know. I know how others such as Gallagher and Golden Boy turned out. One works hard & contributes and the other excessive baggage and has been sent packaging.

I think it's reasonable to expect some level of frustration based on our talent depth in the last 6 seasons. Rielly has taken off in the last two seasons (Age 23/24) but how much of a factor is this related to the talent he plays with?

Worth to note that this appears to be the first season where Rielly is a + player. He was -4 on the Leafs last year where they were a + 45 in goal differential. Pretty much the worse on the team and what does this indicate? He is average at best in terms of shutdown ability. Has he improved in that area? Hard to say.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Just a question... I wonder what Rielly would look like today on the Habs roster if we drafted him? I do remember him being one of my choices for us to pick back in 2012.

I beleive MB perferred him as well. Its too bad he did not follow his own gut and listened to the scouts but I am more than happy with Domi.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Rielly is a young #1 dman locked up on a sweet contract. This year could just be an anomaly for Domi...

Rielly has one season above 36 points which was last year at 52. He's never hit 10 goals in a season and yet he's flirting with 30 this year with his pace.

I'd say both of their years could be an anomaly.

Of course, this year aside we're talking top 6 forward vs top pairing D. Rielly still wins but leafs should be happy they already have him signed and don't have to sign him after this year which will certainly result in a career high.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I beleive MB perferred him as well. Its too bad he did not follow his own gut and listened to the scouts but I am more than happy with Domi.

I don't think Galchenyuk was a bad pick. Development is on him but the upside and skill was there. How could we predict the future back when?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He was blasted for liking Rielly better too, ironically.

Popular year to year trends influences people thinking a lot. Look at Price for example. Some don't believe in him anymore and ignore how bad our team D is in front of him. The focus is the contract and he should be carrying us like he did before (when our team D was much much better). A narrative and propaganda that we should of squashed cause it was stupid to think "the Habs are nothing without Price".

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I think it's reasonable to expect some level of frustration based on our talent depth in the last 6 seasons. Rielly has taken off in the last two seasons (Age 23/24) but how much of a factor is this related to the talent he plays with?

Worth to note that this appears to be the first season where Rielly is a + player. He was -4 on the Leafs last year where they were a + 45 in goal differential.

I really don't believe the talent around him argument. Patch had the worst group of centers for a 30 goal scorer and overcame it every year. It is hard to say how Rielly would have developed but there does'nt seem to be the same off ice issues with him. I just think 27's father and lack of commitment to the game made the outcome inevitable. Atleast with Rielly, those would have been two factors the team would not have to overcome.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I really don't believe the talent around him argument. Patch had the worst group of centers for a 30 goal scorer and overcame it every year. It is hard to say how Rielly would have developed but there does'nt seem to be the same off ice issues with him. I just think 27's father and lack of commitment to the game made the outcome inevitable. Atleast with Rielly, those would have been two factors the team would not have to overcome.

The ability to produce has a lot to do with the talent you play with. Unless your McDavid which Galchenyuk and Rielly are not. It's the same as Price's ability to produce with the horrible team D that we have in front of him. Adding a healthy Weber and Juulsen will help (I hope..lol).

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I don't think Galchenyuk was a bad pick. Development is on him but the upside and skill was there. How could we predict the future back when?

I agree - not necessary a bad pick, hindsight is great. I'm tired of hearing the excuses for Golden boys lack of development. The onus is/was on him.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
French Canadians are an ethnic group. A people. Is it too much to ask to be respected and not targeted by hateful, racist comments?

You do know what racistm is, right? Shame on you for making fun of this.
He said the French Media, not french people. There is a significant difference to note. Furthermore, he just said they loved to bash him. Nothing racist about this.
Shame on you for using a term used to described people that have endured a lot of harm and prorate this on a silly hockey argument.

I'm french canadian, there was nothing offensive in him saying the french media picked on Galch. Come on man. If you're that sensitive, life must be very difficult for you.
I know you're not really offended, so drop the dramatic response.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Popular year to year trends influences people a lot. Look at Price for example. Some don't believe in him anymore and ignore how bad our team D is in front of him. The focus is the contract and he should be carrying us like he did before (when our team D was much much better).

The problem with that Price reference is he is paid 10.5 million. We can say ignore it but it's not fair to do so.

If Crosby makes 50-60 points one year and people point at his wingers...no one cares...he's supposed to be a star. Same with Ovechkin, Patrick Kane, etc...

Price gets paid a lot to steal the game, not just play within his limits.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
The ability to produce has a lot to do with the talent you play with. Unless your McDavid which Galchenyuk and Rielly are not.

True - but hard work isn't related to who you play with. Golden boy has potential to produce offensively each night but the problem is his work ethic does not follow.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree - not necessary a bad pick, hindsight is great. I'm tired of hearing the excuses for Golden boys lack of development. The onus is/was on him.

I am not willing to ignore everything. There is some level of frustration with the Habs not giving Galchenyuk a bit more opportunity but their focus was reliable and smart play in coaching him. Something he didn't seem to get better at for some reason.

It's hard for us to know all the little details in his development. Were not the coach who see's him everyday

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I am not willing to ignore everything. There is some level of frustration with the Habs not giving Galchenyuk a bit more opportunity but their focus was reliable and smart play in coaching him. Something he didn't seem to get better at for some reason.

It's hard for us to know all the little details in his development. Were not the coach who see's him everyday

Agree!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
True - but hard work isn't related to who you play with. Golden boy has potential to produce offensively each night but the problem is his work ethic does not follow.

I think his skating is average which limits his ability to capitalize on his skills. He does have a great shot though so if he is on a good line with other talent, he can produce... like Patch did with his shot. There is value there but I agree about the work ethic and inability to work at and improve his complete 200' game.

Habs were smart to unload him at the time they did. Now we have Domi on a good contract and he is still RFA when it expires.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The problem with that Price reference is he is paid 10.5 million. We can say ignore it but it's not fair to do so.

If Crosby makes 50-60 points one year and people point at his wingers...no one cares...he's supposed to be a star. Same with Ovechkin, Patrick Kane, etc...

You proved my point. You ignore the team D in front of him and you expect more cause of how much he is being paid. I get it but it's more deeper than just expecting him to carry us cause he is Price and what we are paying him.

The day we trade him (if we do), he goes to a cup contender and wins cups like Roy did.

Don't ever expect Price to steal game after game like Hasek did back when. Those days are in the past. Yes, Price is overpaid. Lets get past this and stop throwing him under the bus. Be careful with what you wish for is all I'll say

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
He said the French Media, not french people. There is a significant difference to note.

He said the evil French media. How about the evil black hockey players? You know, not black people but... black hockey people. How does that sound?

How about the evil Jewish media? Is there a significant difference to note there?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Shame on you for using a term used to described people that have endured a lot of harm and prorate this on a silly hockey argument.

Every time you lump a group of people together based on their ethnicity, it's racism. Big or small. Shame on YOU for not recognizing it and shame on you for not speaking against it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Stealing games & performing miracles, is two different things.

Not to mention, he doesn't get paid to score goals...perfect example is last game, he had no chance on any of the goals against, meanwhile, the Habs failed to capitalize on chance after chance.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Stealing games & performing miracles, is two different things.

Not to mention, he doesn't get paid to score goals...perfect example is last game, he had no chance on any of the goals against, meanwhile, the Habs failed to capitalize on chance after chance.

So very true. Price takes too much heat for the shortcomings of this team. Its garbage.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So very true. Price takes too much heat for the shortcomings of this team. Its garbage.
There's too much focus on goaltending in this city...it's part of the reason why he ended up with his contract.

Always a need to make the goaltender into THE story.

Live by the sword...

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad