Player Discussion Max Domi - Lookin' Good Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Hopefully he can get 2-3 points tonight, that would put him back on the race for one of the best centers this season.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Hopefully he can get 2-3 points tonight, that would put him back on the race for one of the best centers this season.

Even if he doesn't get 2 or 3 tonight, what's refreshing is he is noticeable every night and almost always for the positive. Nice to have another hard working guy like Byron, Shaw, and Gallagher.

Reactions: the

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Domi still has his legs, but his offensive plays are no longer connecting as often as before. This was expected.

He picked up a point on the Weber goal, but he actually missed drouin completely on that pass.

Like most players, he's going to have his ebbs and flows throughout the season.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Domi still has his legs, but his offensive plays are no longer connecting as often as before. This was expected.

He picked up a point on the Weber goal, but he actually missed drouin completely on that pass.

Like most players, he's going to have his ebbs and flows throughout the season.

What!? The #1 line in COL isn't going to finish with three 100+ point guys, including 2 over 130 points?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Even if he doesn't get 2 or 3 tonight, what's refreshing is he is noticeable every night and almost always for the positive. Nice to have another hard working guy like Byron, Shaw, and Gallagher.

I wouldn't expect him to be a top end center but like the guys you mentioned he seems to have a true work ethic that will give us great complimentary talent IF we ever assemble a contender.

I know Shaw is a little bit of an exception in the list mentioned but he's been better this season.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I wouldn't expect him to be a top end center but like the guys you mentioned he seems to have a true work ethic that will give us great complimentary talent IF we ever assemble a contender.

I know Shaw is a little bit of an exception in the list mentioned but he's been better this season.

Yeah, hard work is nice to see. Guys like Shaw, Gally, Domi, Byron, etc are so valuable. They might not be top end guys but you can't win without them.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
What!? The #1 line in COL isn't going to finish with three 100+ point guys, including 2 over 130 points?

Are you comparing Domi to MacKinnon? MacKinnon does not belong in the category of "most players".

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Yeah, hard work is nice to see. Guys like Shaw, Gally, Domi, Byron, etc are so valuable. They might not be top end guys but you can't win without them.
Can't win with 'em either, apparently.

I think all that bluster about hard working players is just that - bluster. Players work hard when morale is higher. Morale is higher when the team is winning or hopeful. The team wins games and runs on hope when they apply their talent. Top-end players are the fundamental important factor here, not glorified grinders. Gallagher is a fun player, he's not a game breaker or game maker.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
huh, many teams did better than the Habs last season without Byron, Shaw or Gallagher in their lineup - pretty sure WSH won a cup without any of them actually.. and many teams have a better record without Byron, Gallagher, Shaw and Domi in their lineup...

the ONLY one to have won something in the pros is Shaw. The other 3 ? pouet.

the "can/cant win with/without X or Y player" is dumb... there's a team that won a cup with Hainsey playing top 4 minutes, checp shot artist Wilson just won a cup, there's a rat in Boston with a cup ring, WC gold and al', and theres a boatload of cocaine users, shitty attitude, driking, lazy, etc players to have their name on the big trophy... while 33 years old "legend" with the perfect attitude couldnt win more than a round of PO in their career...

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Can't win with 'em either, apparently.

I think all that bluster about hard working players is just that - bluster. Players work hard when morale is higher. Morale is higher when the team is winning or hopeful. The team wins games and runs on hope when they apply their talent. Top-end players are the fundamental important factor here, not glorified grinders. Gallagher is a fun player, he's not a game breaker or game maker.

No doubt, could not agree more. Top end players are needed. That is what this team is missing not to mention better d core. With top end guys, the domi, gally, and byrons, etc are the neccessary supporting cast for winning teams. Was not suggesting they were top end or this team is going to be a winner because of them. I even said in my post that they were not top end guys. They work hard and its nice to see. I appriciate how hard these guys compete

Last edited:

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

What's your though on Agostino?

I remember he had his short cup of coffee with the Flames but did not remember anything about his game. So far what I've seen, I think he has done ok on the 4th line. Skates pretty well, responsible in his own end, and has contributed a little offence. I think he is a good fit on the bottom line. However, I'm not sure he will stick.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
He's the real deal. What a f***ing masterful trade by bergevin to get him .On top of getting drouin and Weber. Drafting Juulsen and Mete (in the 4th) .turning a 7 million dollar max Pacioretty in to Tatar Suzuki and a 2nd. Getting Jeff Petry for a 2nd, picking up Byron on waivers .Having the guts to draft kotkaniemi and then add ylonen and Brook to that...poehling he's a made a few boo boos but how could anyone hate having this guy as our GM

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
I just went back to read some of the posts from the original Domi-Galchenyuk trade thread. Safe to say that times have changed haha.

I didn't love the trade, I wasn't here at the time of the trade yet so I don't remember the reaction but I do remember feeling a little underwhelmed, personally. I knew Domi was a talented piece but it just felt like, "why?" Why get another small (what I believed to be) winger who isn't a finisher. I thought moving on from Galchenyuk was totally reasonable but I figured with the direction the roster was headed, I was sort of looking for futures (picks/prospects).

I do think Galchenyuk was overrated by the fan base, partially because of the want for him to succeed and the emotional investment that came with his arrival and partially because of a fundamental lack of trust in management/coaching staff that allowed people to pawn everything wrong with Galchenyuk at someone else's feet. I think there's a lot of blame to go around in his handling but most of it belongs on the player. He just didn't grow like he should have.

Anyway, hard not to be ecstatic now. Domi, even when the SH% lowers and the production slows, is still a way better fit than Galchenyuk. He plays with pace, he has an edge, he can handle the puck, he's better defensively (not saying a lot, neither are great but Alex was and is very bad). I think that was a trade that happened at the exact right time in both player's careers and we got extremely lucky.

Reactions: 417

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I just went back to read some of the posts from the original Domi-Galchenyuk trade thread. Safe to say that times have changed haha.
Can't really fault us tbh. The guy did have 5 goals on a goalie last year. I will however admit that Galchenyuk really isn't that good of a player as I thought. We did ruin him though, and nobody will convince me otherwise. Great move by Bergevin.

Jazzink

Dec 4, 2018
He's the real deal. What a ****ing masterful trade by bergevin to get him .On top of getting drouin and Weber. Drafting Juulsen and Mete (in the 4th) .turning a 7 million dollar max Pacioretty in to Tatar Suzuki and a 2nd. Getting Jeff Petry for a 2nd, picking up Byron on waivers .Having the guts to draft kotkaniemi and then add ylonen and Brook to that...poehling he's a made a few boo boos but how could anyone hate having this guy as our GM
Been reading Hf for like the last 18 years but this post made me join and wanna say “OH BOY HERE WE GO’

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Can't really fault us tbh. The guy did have 5 goals on a goalie last year. I will however admit that Galchenyuk really isn't that good of a player as I thought. We did ruin him though, and nobody will convince me otherwise. Great move by Bergevin.
Even then it was a good move right from the getgo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad