Player Discussion Max Domi - Lookin' Good Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Funny enough, I wanted Galchenyuk.

Glad it worked out the way it did, obviously.

Hey, we never will know how these two would have developed if they were drafted by the opposite team. They both were clearly skilled back in 2012 and still are today. Difference is maturity, commitment to being a complete player, and talent surrounding them.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
You proved my point. You ignore the team D in front of him and you expect more cause of how much he is being paid. I get it but it's more deeper than just expecting him to carry us cause he is Price and what we are paying him.

The day we trade him (if we do), he goes to a cup contender and wins cups like Roy did.

Don't ever expect Price to steal game after game like Hasek did back when. Those days are in the past. Yes, Price is overpaid. Lets get past this and stop throwing him under the bus. Be careful with what you wish for is all I'll say

I like Price but yeah I get your point but you're stretching it.

Price not playing like a Vezina caliber talent? Sure.

Price giving backup numbers? Not good.

.897 save % isn't "Oh, shucks...that d-core" it's criminally bad for 10.5 million and I'm a BIG price fan. It's not like he has 0.910...he's below .900.

Stealing games & performing miracles, is two different things.

Not to mention, he doesn't get paid to score goals...perfect example is last game, he had no chance on any of the goals against, meanwhile, the Habs failed to capitalize on chance after chance.

Irrelevant, he should still be better than he has been.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Agreed 100%...but I think his performance has been on par with the teams really.

It hasn't. He's 44th in Save % for goalies who played at least 5 games this year.

Last year he was bottom of the pack again.

For a guy getting that much money, being a leader and a star it's completely unacceptable.

We're not talking about a superstar having a slow start or a down year. This is a bad year. This is Sidney Crosby making 40 points in a season bad and then people say "Don't look at his star status or his contract and then it looks fine!"

It's bad, period. He's had some good games but he needs to be much better and we can say it aligns with the team or whatever but it isn't, he's worse.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Rielly has one season above 36 points which was last year at 52. He's never hit 10 goals in a season and yet he's flirting with 30 this year with his pace.

I'd say both of their years could be an anomaly.

Of course, this year aside we're talking top 6 forward vs top pairing D. Rielly still wins but leafs should be happy they already have him signed and don't have to sign him after this year which will certainly result in a career high.
Rielly has been improving every year. Hes had 1 good season and on pace for a very good one this year. Domi is just on pace for a very good one this year. One is more proven than the other.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It hasn't. He's 44th in Save % for goalies who played at least 5 games this year.

For a guy getting that much money, being a leader and a star it's completely unacceptable.

We're not talking about a superstar having a slow start or a down year. This is a bad year. This is Sidney Crosby making 40 points in a season bad and then people say "Don't look at his star status or his contract and then it looks fine!"

It's bad, period. He's had some good games but he needs to be much better and we can say it aligns with the team or whatever but it isn't, he's worse.
How much of that is a reflection of the level of defending he's had in front of him for EXACTLY the past year?

I'd be curious to know the quality scoring chances against he's had to face in that time.

Let's not kid ourselves, although I agree with you he needs to be much better if not consistent, he's been playing in front of a defense that only an AHL team would be proud of.

I know people argue that with his salary he's paid to cover up those mistakes...but I don't agree.

His salary is for what he's done for this organization for years, he earned that deal and cashed out at the right time and that's just something the GM is going to have to work around, he made his own job more difficult by deciding to pay a goalie 10.5M per year.

But his salary doesn't = miracle maker for me, it never has.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Sidney Crosby getting 40 points isn't a comparable, seeing as one is a goaltender. It's really different.

However - he's not been as good as he needs to be.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Scoring is up on the whole across the league. Maybe Domi's performance isn't as exceptional as we thought.

Our best scorer's super hot start only puts him at 31st/32nd in the league in scoring.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Scoring is up on the whole across the league. Maybe Domi's performance isn't as exceptional as we thought.

Our best scorer's super hot start only puts him at 31st/32nd in the league in scoring.
Our top scorer was 94th last year so that's still pretty good

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

When was the last time we had a center even in the top-50? Plekanec 4 years ago maybe?

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
The point was it's underperforming greatly compared to the standards of his status and contract.

Be realistic for a second. Goals are up league wide, see the other big time goalies gaa. Plus our défensive game is one of the worst in the league. We just cant Shut down anyone. Price is playing good, not great. He can be better sure. But after 6-7 years of saving our asses, I think he deserves some slack. And again, its not like his salary is crippling nor will ever be, with the cap going up each year.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Sure, ideally we'd like to have the #1 scorer, but you can't deny Domi is significantly exceeding expectations so far.
I've repeatedly said I've been both impressed and ecstatic about Domi's performance and production.

But within context it hasn't been as revelatory as some would have us think. He's top 32 in scoring, super. Ideally a playoff team has a top10/top15 scorer - wouldn't you agree?

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
I've repeatedly said I've been both impressed and ecstatic about Domi's performance and production.

But within context it hasn't been as revelatory as some would have us think. He's top 32 in scoring, super. Ideally a playoff team has a top10/top15 scorer - wouldn't you agree?

I was curious so I looked it up, last year 6 playoff teams had top-10 scorers (Pitt had 3, McDavid was the only one not in the playoffs), and 9 of them had a top-15 scorer.

Vegas made it to the finals with Karlsson at 23rd as their top scorer, so it's not required to do well or even to make the playoffs, but obviously you'd ideally have at least one superstar forward.

Also the lowest was Anaheim with Rakell at 37th in points which makes sense with where we are right now, a fringe playoff team with a fringe top-30 scorer in the league.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I was curious so I looked it up, last year 6 playoff teams had top-10 scorers (Pitt had 3, McDavid was the only one not in the playoffs), and 9 of them had a top-15 scorer.

Vegas made it to the finals with Karlsson at 23rd as their top scorer, so it's not required to do well or even to make the playoffs, but obviously you'd ideally have at least one superstar forward.

Also the lowest was Anaheim with Rakell at 37th in points which makes sense with where we are right now, a fringe playoff team with a fringe top-30 scorer in the league.
Good research! Should we go by p/gp though? Some stars were injured and couldn't produce at the full 82-game amount. If you go by p/gp and minimum 30gp, Karlsson falls to 34th but they had Marchessault at a higher ppg and Perron and Smith at above 0.90 too.

Anaheim was crushed in the first round and embarrassed themselves. Which seem about right considering the last time the Habs were in the playoffs, with an typically impotent offence, they also embarrassed themselves scoring less than even two goals a game.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

And the player we traded for Domi is where exactly? And I don't mean just in the stats department. Zona has decided to play him on wing. Domi is a #2 center. He's scoring and playing like one. The only way that trade could have gone better was if we trade Chucky for a Matthews or a McJesus.

I can't believe you're pulling this ridiculous stunt of pointing to Domi's stats as a bad thing.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015

He's 13th among centers. He's obviously not Sidney Crosby, but that is certainly an upgrade on what we have seen in the past few years.
I don't think anyone is saying that he is a top 5 center in the league. How one looks at his performance depends on what your expectations were. If someone is looking for an elite #1 center they will be disappointed. Otherwise, he's been great.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If you lower your standards enough, any success is stratospheric !
Ottawa has 3 top 20 scorers, Edmonton has two while Nashville has none.

Of all the things to complain about or to "point out", Domi being 4 points away from being a top ten scorer in the league almost a third of the way into the season isn't one of them.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
And the player we traded for Domi is where exactly? And I don't mean just in the stats department. Zona has decided to play him on wing. Domi is a #2 center. He's scoring and playing like one. The only way that trade could have gone better was if we trade Chucky for a Matthews or a McJesus.

I can't believe you're pulling this ridiculous stunt of pointing to Domi's stats as a bad thing.
No stunt. Just saying that scoring is up as a whole across the NHL. His slightly above PPG rate so far isn't elite.

I'm ecstatic that we finally have a PPG player, believe me. I don't need to keep repeating myself. The guy is a great player for the Habs. I'm just saying that he won't be enough to carry the Habs - what he brings isn't enough to carry the Habs.

He's 13th among centers. He's obviously not Sidney Crosby, but that is certainly an upgrade on what we have seen in the past few years.
I don't think anyone is saying that he is a top 5 center in the league. How one looks at his performance depends on what your expectations were. If someone is looking for an elite #1 center they will be disappointed. Otherwise, he's been great.
Agreed

Ottawa has 3 top 20 scorers, Edmonton has two while Nashville has none.

Of all the things to complain about or to "point out", Domi being 4 points away from being a top ten scorer in the league almost a third of the way into the season isn't one of them.
Noted. I guess I came across not how I wanted. I'm happy for Domi but I don't think just Domi can carry the Habs.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
No stunt. Just saying that scoring is up as a whole across the NHL. His slightly above PPG rate so far isn't elite.

I'm ecstatic that we finally have a PPG player, believe me. I don't need to keep repeating myself. The guy is a great player for the Habs. I'm just saying that he won't be enough to carry the Habs - what he brings isn't enough to carry the Habs.

Agreed

Noted. I guess I came across not how I wanted. I'm happy for Domi but I don't think just Domi can carry the Habs.

No player in the league can carry his team. Not Crosby, Matthews or McJesus so you're really sticking your neck out there. Thanks for stating the obvious. With the Habs if Price, Weber, gallagher, Drouin, Byron, Armia and tatar bring their A game for the rest of the year, we'll have a good team. Not a contender but a decent pretender.

Reactions: Cobra Commander
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->