Player Discussion Max Comtois

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
11 games now with 0 points -7 :(
He was minus 8 before last game though, breakout game!
In all seriousness though his lack of shot volume is very concerning, he was never a very high volume shooter, especially now, he is taking about half as many shots per game as he did last year and it’s only getting worse, only 3 shots in the last 5 games. I was hoping his volume would go up this year to compensate for his high shooting percentage last year, so far not the case unfortunately

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He was minus 8 before last game though, breakout game!
In all seriousness though his lack of shot volume is very concerning, he was never a very high volume shooter, especially now, he is taking about half as many shots per game as he did last year and it’s only getting worse, only 3 shots in the last 5 games. I was hoping his volume would go up this year to compensate for his high shooting percentage last year, so far not the case unfortunately
He can't get shots if everytime he is on the ice the team is hemmed in our own zone.

Reactions: GunnarStahl

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
funny how Steel is still wanting to be thrown to the wolves by many (even though he's at least producing some), but Max continues to get a pass for doing nothing. yeah, I get the Max was good last year, so he's got more leash. But still...

I'm not ready to give up on either, fwiw. But I am concerned about Max.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I already said multi times I would take Steel over Comtois right now; and ppl know how I feel about Steel. Comtois just sucks.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
I already said multi times I would take Steel over Comtois right now; and ppl know how I feel about Steel. Comtois just sucks.
Ya, that's why he led his team in scoring last season, because he sucks. You're just trying to justify your irrational hate for the kid. This is his second full season in the NHL; it took Terry to his 4th to get it figured out. Let's cut the guy some slack while he tries to figure it out.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Ya, that's why he led his team in scoring last season, because he sucks. You're just trying to justify your irrational hate for the kid. This is his second full season in the NHL; it took Terry to his 4th to get it figured out. Let's cut the guy some slack while he tries to figure it out.
I meant right now; this year; this season. He sucks. I'd rather have Steel in the lineup as it stands until Comtois either gets in shape or gets his life figured out.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
funny how Steel is still wanting to be thrown to the wolves by many (even though he's at least producing some), but Max continues to get a pass for doing nothing. yeah, I get the Max was good last year, so he's got more leash. But still...

I don't think Comtois is getting a pass here. Maybe he is being given a little more rope because of last year, but most posters here have been pretty clear about acknowledging that Comtois has not been not playing well.

I'd like to see Comtois go down to SD to see if he can get some confidence back. He's still waiver eligible, so why not?

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
I don't think Comtois is getting a pass here. Maybe he is being given a little more rope because of last year, but most posters here have been pretty clear about acknowledging that Comtois has not been not playing well.

I'd like to see Comtois go down to SD to see if he can get some confidence back. He's still waiver eligible, so why not?
Because he's already demonstrated that he can be very good in the NHL; he needs to figure it out up here too.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

For the past two seasons, many of us have wanted Steel to be sent down to the AHL as he was waiver exempt, but he never was. This is Comtois first season gone missing after leading the Ducks in scoring, something that Steel has never done.

Right now, I don't think we need Comtois to be sent down due to all the injuries we have. Once everyone is healthy, then there's a possibility that he should be sent down. But you're actually not comparing apples to apples here between Steel and Comtois. This is Steel's third year of struggling in the NHL as full timer. Steel isn't waiver exempt this year. This is Comtois' first year, but I think all of us are concerned about Comtois.

Reactions: snowave

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
He’s playing with absolutely no confidence though. He needs to go somewhere where he can dominate and get that back, because he’s the worst skater on the team right now, and it’s not close.
I don't disagree; until maybe last game where he showed some of what he did last year, he's been terrible. But do you think sending him down would boost his confidence, or collapse it even further?

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don't disagree; until maybe last game where he showed some of what he did last year, he's been terrible. But do you think sending him down would boost his confidence, or collapse it even further?
If it collapses it further, he's never giving to amount to anything in the NHL. The competition will be significantly lower, so he should be able to dominate, and if he’s that entitled/mentally fragile he’d never last in the NHL anyway. Hopefully they’ve got him seeing a sports psychologist regardless. It worked for Terry.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
If it collapses it further, he's never giving to amount to anything in the NHL. The competition will be significantly lower, so he should be able to dominate, and if he’s that entitled/mentally fragile he’d never last in the NHL anyway. Hopefully they’ve got him seeing a sports psychologist regardless. It worked for Terry.
That's a fair point, and I do think his problem is 90% psychological. Did Terry indeed see s sports therapist? If so, that might help Max, too.

And BTW, thanks for some reasonable discussion. =)

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
That's a fair point, and I do think his problem is 90% psychological. Did Terry indeed see s sports therapist? If so, that might help Max, too.

And BTW, thanks for some reasonable discussion. =)
I’m not sure on Terry, he’s always struck me as a really cerebral kid who took coaching to heart. I also think he overthought stuff too much and that was part of his problem at time. I’d assume that they have psychologists on staff all the time in this day and age, but I don’t really know. My concern on Comtois isn’t the failing, it’s the passing up the attempts that he’s doing now.

Hey, this is why we are here :)

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
My eye tests says he is busting his ass as well. He just have to get it together, I think he has somehow went away from his own game a bit. But to me this looks like a growing pain, not a trend.

Out of all our LW's prospects with size in the past 10 years he's still on track to be the clear cut best one.

I think the biggest issue for Max is who he plays with. He needs a player like Zegras or Getz to feed him pucks in high danger areas. Comtois is not going to generate offense on his own. It seems this year he's not played with guys like that.

Comtois showed more last year than Steel ever had. Not surprising to me that he has a longer leash with the fanbase than I guy like Steel. Truth is, coming into the season, Comtois also had a better resume than Terry (not anymore).

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I think you have to send him down, let him score some goals in the AHL hopefully and then call him up and play him with Zegras later in the season

Reactions: Kalv
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Looking at Comtois' stats his shot totals are down but most of that is probably due to the shrunken ice time, deservedly so however. Per 60 minutes he's shooting at 5.28 which is down from last year's 6.51. Per individual xG/60 (0.75) he's 5th in the team right behind Troy Terry (0.77). Those stats don't look too bad to me, he must be getting his chances just not burying any of them. He has been rather invisible offensively though. Some of it certainly comes with the lowered ice time but it's still far from how it was last season.

All in all, a confidence booster trip down to SD wouldn't and shouldn't be the worst thing for him especially since he's exempt. I still have a lot of hope for the guy and it's only been 11 games.

Reactions: Kalv

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Is MC even waiver exempt still? Isn't he past his ELC already? I figure he's played enough games to not be exempt anymore.

Edit: he has 1 more year or 42 NHL games before he loses exemption.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
It is pretty hilarious to suggest shipping Comtois out, especially since we don’t have a prayer of contending for a cup.

When our injured forwards are back maybe a stint with the Gulls will help his confidence, but why give up on a young asset because of a slump.

It’s not like we have a bunch of first/second liners in the minors ready to jump in.

John

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I am really down on Comtois but it's still way way way too early. He just needs to get into shape or figure his life out.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Is MC even waiver exempt still? Isn't he past his ELC already? I figure he's played enough games to not be exempt anymore.

Edit: he has 1 more year or 42 NHL games before he loses exemption.

It is odd, since he is on his second contract with a 2 mil cap hit. But he technically is waiver exempt at the moment. Wouldn’t be a bad idea for him to play a few games on San Diego’s 1st line.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
If he gets back to crashing the net he will be fine. Don’t hang out on the perimeter. Score one and get some confidence going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad