Post-Game Talk: Matty Hatty and Willy Winner Leafs win 4-3 in OT

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
Numerically show how Liljegren helps to organize and control a game?

He doesn't have the IQ to do this. You need to be smart team that plays hard to win in the playoffs. xGF% is totally useless for what we're talking about and I'm the biased one. You have not statistically shown anything and are the bias one saying eye test is meaningless.

Numerically, he had 2 primary assists and a +2 rating tonight. Not sure if that shows game organization, but being in the lead sure helps control the game.

He's a bottom pairing defenseman who stepped up into a bigger role tonight and got his second assist on the winning goal- he makes $1.4 million.

I don't understand the motivation to bash this guy. He's already a serviceable defenseman and I think he's only going to get better.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
One interesting adjustment over Matthews' career I've noticed is that in his first few years he really liked to try to rip it bar down. But he's changed his approach with experience and really has focused on shots that provide a higher chance of scoring - 5 hole and those above the pad shots around the corner.

He really only goes high on one timers now.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Took two and delivered two.

Are you aware that he's taken more hits this year than Matthews, Domi, and Marner?
Didn’t know that but the eye test says he’s more engaged now if he can drop the gloves just once😉

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Willy finally gets even strength ice time without JT and Bert.

Willy scores.

He could be in the top ten in points if either of them could finish occasionally.
Keefe must see this and understand it, he cant be that blind. Something else must be behind that frustrating decision. Nylander would probably do better being placed on the third line while being covered in flypaper.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Keefe must see this and understand it, he cant be that blind. Something else must be behind that frustrating decision. Nylander would probably do better being placed on the third line while being covered in flypaper.
I can give you 11mil reason why JT will be playing with Willie.

I don’t mind Bert as he plays hard and just very very unlucky.

Reactions: hotpaws and arso40

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Really like Lilly game tonight. Hope he can build on it. He just needs confidence and more play time

Reactions: arso40

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I can give you 11mil reason why JT will be playing with Willie.

I don’t mind Bert as he plays hard and just very very unlucky.
I dont mind Bert but i think he too need other players around him just for a while but not Tavares . Bert has been snakebitten by a 14 ft Boa constrictor and its grandma. Its like a sitcom u just want to end, but it never do.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I will never understand this PK setup
leafs pk.png

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
One interesting adjustment over Matthews' career I've noticed is that in his first few years he really liked to try to rip it bar down. But he's changed his approach with experience and really has focused on shots that provide a higher chance of scoring - 5 hole and those above the pad shots around the corner.

He really only goes high on one timers now.
Probably less strain on his wrist too.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Funny because halfway through the third I actually thought to myself how I for once felt comfortable with the lead and confident they would close it out comfortably. Philadelphia had nothing going.

I was careful not to express this thought out loud, but I guess even just thinking it was enough of a jinx.

Reactions: arso40 and TMLife17

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I dont mind Bert but i think he too need other players around him just for a while but not Tavares . Bert has been snakebitten by a 14 ft Boa constrictor and its grandma. Its like a sitcom u just want to end, but it never do.
[/QUOTE

Plus he's overpaid by about 2.5k

Reactions: arso40 and ZEBROA

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
More than Bert I am seriously having issues watching Nylander having to carry Tavares it sickens me

Gotta find a way to concvince Tavares to play 3rd line minutes and put Domi up on the 2nd line
Why the f**k would you have to convince JT to play third line minutes? Isn’t it the coach’s job to assemble the line in a way that ensures the best odds of success? Keefe’s the idiot here, JT is playing where he’s told to play, and yes it’s above his abilities right now……..

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Were you listening the me during the game.

I think I said that 7 or 8 times.

Man Brodie and Giordano are done, McCabe is where he is going to be, and Benoit and Liljegren are WIP.

Benoit the only good Treliving signing?
Murray was a stroke of genius too, he might be NHL fringe, but he held them in when needed most, dollar for dollar might be the best pick up in years……

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Build it around them .no excuses the window is there .
Totally agree

Exactly. They are the two most dynamic players on the team with playoff capability. JT is done and Marner goes to shambles at the worst times like games 5 6 7. Not that I dont think he is a good player, its that he is not a PO player. Sort of similar not similar to Ovi and Semin.

I think we are in rough shape right now with the forwards making so much. Going forward there is only one way I would give a 10+m contract... McDavid WN AM CMc would be seriously overpowering to playoff teams. Add a good Dman or two and pray we have a 1G on our hands and we could see some magic in Toronto.

Last edited:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I will never understand this PK setup
View attachment 820706

Take away the middle is common, leave every man open including the points and the guy in the low slot is not common.. They literally have 4 out of 4 guys covering the high slot guy.... 22nd on the PK @ 78.23% ...

Remember those posters that said that Matty is wildly inconsistent, that he only shows up for half the games... sigh.... is he consistent enough now?

Some peoples children eh?

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Rielly is a great player and a #1 defenseman. He is one solely because he is really elite offensively. Liljegren is better defensively, but because he's much worse offensively he isn't even a #2. Stats back both of these up. Like what is so controversial here? Is it really that hard to just admit your opinion that you've provided ZERO evidence for is wrong?

By all means please tell me how to use them.
you need to watch game too. You're exemple with Brodie last season is a great exemple. Brodie played the hardest level of matchup last season amount leafs D

you also need to consider than Rielly played hurt most of last season.

So if youre using everything together Rielly played hurt + played tougher matchup with Brodie than Liljegren, so yes for sure that will affect stats. So maybe stats with Liljegren was looking better but he played weaker matchup when he was playing with him. If you ignoring that fact and just considering stats, you will be wrong for sure.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Take away the middle is common, leave every man open including the points and the guy in the low slot is not common.. They literally have 4 out of 4 guys covering the high slot guy.... 22nd on the PK @ 78.23% ...

Remember those posters that said that Matty is wildly inconsistent, that he only shows up for half the games... sigh.... is he consistent enough now?

Some peoples children eh?

I remember them and that I have been wildly consistent on saying Marner is the weakest link. AM should be signed at all costs and that WN had the potential to be the best player on the team. That last part will not come true but he sure as hell was for the first half of the season so, I guess it was kind of true in the end.

Moral of the story is Thewave is as reliable as the rooster is to cocking in the morning.

/s just having some fun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad