Prospect Info: Mattias Norlinder - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think no one is expecting Norlinder to be a top 10 D in the league. There is a BIG gap between Ghost and OEL where we see Norlinder if he's development go well

Well, that's kind of my point then.... we are overrating him with hype if he is for sure ahead of Primeau, Guhle, Poehling, Harris, Brook, etc. My OEL comparison was all about that. You say there is a big gap between Ghost and OEL and I agree. I gave you that gap for a reason.

Let me ask again... do you have another guy who played Allsvenskan who we can compare Norlinder too to see what kind of potential track he may be on? Nothing is guaranteed one way or another so take that with a grain of salt. I believe in Norlinder's skills but with me, he has to start producing to measure up with the hype. At the moment, I don't have him ahead of Primeau, Poehling, Guhle

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Well, that's kind of my point then.... we are overrating him with hype if he is for sure ahead of Primeau, Guhle, Poehling, Harris, Brook, etc. My OEL comparison was all about that. You say there is a big gap between Ghost and OEL and I agree. I gave you that gap for a reason.

Let me ask again... do you have another guy who played Allsvenskan who we can compare Norlinder too to see what kind of potential track he may be on?

If we had OEL as a prospect right know he would be #1 and by far so I don't really understand your point. Not because he's not OEL that it's mean that he is overrated. I think Stralman/Enstrom are better comparaison of what he can be in the NHL if he develop well

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If we had OEL as a prospect right know he would be #1 and by far so I don't really understand your point. Not because he's not OEL that it's mean that he is overrated. I think Stralman/Enstrom are better comparaison of what he can be in the NHL if he develop well

That's how I see it too. So that is the reason why I don't have Norlinder ranked 3rd. With me, he is on par with Harris and Brook types. He's not ahead of Primeau or Poehling IMO. Poehling had a rough 1st year as a pro and he moved down but not that far down. Poehling has a real good shot at being a good middle 6F (at center or wing). I was expecting more from Norlinder in his 1st SHL season (just like Poehling in the AHL last year). We will see where he stands at the end of the year. I would give him the edge over Harris and Brook yes. But he's behind Primeau and Poehling with me (today anyways).

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I think no one is expecting Norlinder to be a top 10 D in the league. There is a BIG gap between Ghost and OEL where we see Norlinder if he's development go well
i agree , nobody expect him to be top 10 D in the league.
I would say top 5 :nod:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Let me ask again... do you have another guy who played Allsvenskan who we can compare Norlinder too to see what kind of potential track he may be on? Nothing is guaranteed one way or another so take that with a grain of salt. I believe in Norlinder's skills but with me, he has to start producing to measure up with the hype. At the moment, I don't have him ahead of Primeau, Poehling, Guhle

prospects get overrated all the time it's the nature of sports as fan are hopeful for the future (well maybe not Hab fans)

Norlinder could be our best prospect or our 10th best prospect, it matters not either way. It's all about progress and if he continues to do so or not.

But he is producing, I think you need to look closer at SHL hockey, i've watched a lot of games from there over the years, once you know the league better you will have a better understanding of what to expect from young players there. That's not meant to be taken as a shot at you directly just some advice from someone that's watched and followed Hab prospects for a long time.

Norlinder could certainly end up better then OEL, or he may turn out like Nygren, only time will tell. But OEL was a 6th OA pick, he was supposed to be good, Norlinder as a 3rd rounder doesn't have the hype that comes with a 6th OA pick. He's a guy that if he ends up a solid 2nd pairing D then that is a huge win for us and Timmins/staff.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
4 points in 20 games, it's low no?

He play better than his actual stats?

he's a goal scorer and he had a good goal that was called off, if that counted he would be among the top goal scoring D in the SHL. His team has the 3rd lowest goals per game in the SHL last time I checked. For now he needs to stay healthy but he is playing very well or he wouldn't be top 3 in TOI on his team which is 2nd best in the league.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
he's a goal scorer and he had a good goal that was called off, if that counted he would be among the top goal scoring D in the SHL. His team has the 3rd lowest goals per game in the SHL last time I checked. For now he needs to stay healthy but he is playing very well or he wouldn't be top 3 in TOI on his team which is 2nd best in the league.

Thanks for the report!!

I really like is game, i think Romanov and Guhle are more "safe" prospect to be great in NHL. I don't know for Norlinder, but he have great skill for D, no doubt about that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
prospects get overrated all the time it's the nature of sports as fan are hopeful for the future (well maybe not Hab fans)

Norlinder could be our best prospect or our 10th best prospect, it matters not either way. It's all about progress and if he continues to do so or not.

But he is producing, I think you need to look closer at SHL hockey, i've watched a lot of games from there over the years, once you know the league better you will have a better understanding of what to expect from young players there. That's not meant to be taken as a shot at you directly just some advice from someone that's watched and followed Hab prospects for a long time.

Norlinder could certainly end up better then OEL, or he may turn out like Nygren, only time will tell. But OEL was a 6th OA pick, he was supposed to be good, Norlinder as a 3rd rounder doesn't have the hype that comes with a 6th OA pick. He's a guy that if he ends up a solid 2nd pairing D then that is a huge win for us and Timmins/staff.

I agree but my point remains... I don't have Norlinder ahead of Primeau, Poehling, and Guhle at this stage. I understand his base/ceiling potential is a wide range. I feel we are ranking him in our pool like he will be closer to OEL vs Nygren. A fair estimate would be in the middle which means he is in the Harris, Brook, Struble, Tuch, Mysak group. Personally, I will bump him up once he has a break out year. 18 pts with 7 goals in 34 Allsvenskan games is solid but I was waiting to see how he would do in his first SHL season and it's been derailed due to Covid and injuries. Some say bad luck and that's fair but I wanna see some production that measure up to this tools

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
who was it? simon boisvert (ex scout) who doesn't think he amounts to much? that he's too soft for the NHL? boisvert is high on harris though

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
who was it? simon boisvert (ex scout) who doesn't think he amounts to much? that he's too soft for the NHL? boisvert is high on harris though

That's my worry with Norlinder. He needs to be able to handle the physical part of the game. His skating, shot, and vision are top notch for a prospect but he has to put it all together. We will see where he stands at the end of this season and wherever he plays next year (SHL or AHL). I think we will know more after the 21/22 season. Right now, it's all hype based on a set of offensive tools. With me, I want to see a bust out year

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

Yup exactly. Boisvert also really likes Farrell. Has him as our 8th best prospect. He's not as high as most of us on Norlinder and Struble.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't think the production is a big concern, it's more all the injuries on nothing plays. Hard to develop when he's in and out of the lineup so much.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
IMO, Norlinder has the most potential out of any of our D prospects but I'm not as confident that he reaches it as I am with Romanov/Guhle/Struble/Harris.

I see it this way also. Norlinder has some tantalizing tools, but it looks like he will either be amazing or nothing at all.

He is not big, so he either becomes a Krug (unlikely) or a Karlson-lite (more likely stylistically) or he busts.

As it stands today, I have more confidence in those 4 you stated. I'm also very interested in Brook this season. I'm expecting a bounceback and he re-establishing his pedigree.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
L'extraterrestre suédois du CH
«Évidemment, je dois regagner mon temps du jeu... Il y'a huit défenseurs avec Frolunda, alors il y'a une compétition. On se pousse les uns les autres...»
«Je ne crois pas que je connaisse une mauvaise saison, mais évidemment, j’aimerais produire davantage. J’estime que mon jeu offensif nécessite une plus grande amélioration que mon jeu défensif...»
«J’ai un impact aux deux extrémités de la glace... Je juge que le boulot d’un défenseur est d’abord de défendre... Une fois que cette tâche est accomplie, c’est le temps de penser à l’attaque.»

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
IMO, Norlinder has the most potential out of any of our D prospects but I'm not as confident that he reaches it as I am with Romanov/Guhle/Struble/Harris.
I see it this way also. Norlinder has some tantalizing tools, but it looks like he will either be amazing or nothing at all.

He is not big, so he either becomes a Krug (unlikely) or a Karlson-lite (more likely stylistically) or he busts.

As it stands today, I have more confidence in those 4 you stated. I'm also very interested in Brook this season. I'm expecting a bounceback and he re-establishing his pedigree.

Any revisions to this perspective?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
i used google translate from the tva article,

Canadians are following him fairly closely. The team's two Swedish scouts, Christer Rockstrom and Tommy Lehman, as well as director of player development, Rob Ramage, occasionally contact him to ask how he is recovering from his injury, for example.

It's no coincidence that Norlinder is so assertive on the ice and often acts as a fourth attacker. Younger, he played in the center, as was the case for Rasmus Dahlin, another Swedish rear of the most gifted.

But, as Norlinder is a man full of contradictions, he believes that it is on the offensive side, above all, that he needs to do better this season.

“I don't think I'm having a bad season, but obviously I would like to produce more. I feel that my offensive game needs more improvement than my defensive game, ”he notes.

Norlinder also keeps in touch with his compatriot Jacob Olofsson

He does not really see the possibility of breaking his agreement in Sweden in order to join the Habs next year.
"I have a two-year contract in my pocket, so I would not see why I should not stay here", he summarizes

Reactions: DAChampion

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
He still needs lots of works in all areas of his game. Not sure he'll ever be an NHL'er but here's hoping. Next year in Sweden, probably the following year in Laval and then take it from there.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Any revisions to this perspective?
Romanov is an absolute stud. I was convinced he was going to become one since the 2019 WJC.

Norlinder's offensive potential is so high that he could become a special player. I think there's much more risk of him not reaching it though.

Romanov is likelier to end up the better player in 5 years.

So no change really from my opinion in that post.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Romanov is an absolute stud. I was convinced he was going to become one since the 2019 WJC.

Norlinder's offensive potential is so high that he could become a special player. I think there's much more risk of him not reaching it though.

Romanov is likelier to end up the better player in 5 years.

So no change really from my opinion in that post.

so by most potential, you mean most offensive potential or most overall potential:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad