Prospect Info: Mattias Norlinder - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
That we now have an abundance of wingers, Suzuki, Kk, Danault, Poehling, and Evan's at center, I expect Timmins to target D's at the draft.

While I'm not in favor of drafting for need, at least it's Timmins' strong suite. We need an offensive dman prospect. But I hope he doesn't reach for one. As long as he drafts D that are good. Petry is our number one D in the short term.
Preferably one from the right side too

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
If every Dman doesn't sign with us because we have too much depth, we don't really have depth. :laugh:
Well, in Harris case, I imagine he'll go to free agency in August of next year. Then the Habs will have to outbid other teams for his services. If they have better prospects at the same position, they aren't going to offer Harris a huge contract, and if Jordan perceives that he'll have a harder time making the team in Montreal he'll be less likely to sign there. In Norlinder's case, he's already a free agent because he can re-up with his current team or another Euro team if he perceives that he can make the same money closer to home. I imagine he'd make more than AHL wages in Sweden or the KHL, so unless he is more or less guaranteed an NHL spot there is no logic in coming over.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Well, in Harris case, I imagine he'll go to free agency in August of next year. Then the Habs will have to outbid other teams for his services. If they have better prospects at the same position, they aren't going to offer Harris a huge contract, and if Jordan perceives that he'll have a harder time making the team in Montreal he'll be less likely to sign there. In Norlinder's case, he's already a free agent because he can re-up with his current team or another Euro team if he perceives that he can make the same money closer to home. I imagine he'd make more than AHL wages in Sweden or the KHL, so unless he is more or less guaranteed an NHL spot there is no logic in coming over.

That's true for the majority of Swedish prospects, yet the overwhelming majority of the good ones cross over.

Reactions: Andrei79

del17

Dec 26, 2015
Think habs have too many prospects too many contracts to sign based on last four yrs draft picks I would trade rights to Harris for current needs mobility top qb for the powerplay

del17

Dec 26, 2015
I don't think either Harris or Norlinder signs with Montreal. They may get some small return by trading Norlinder's rights, but nothing beyond that.
Packaged with a guy like lehkonen for an area of need is what I would do. I also think behind Guhle on the depth chart maybeStrubel as well

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Was also true for Romanov..

and no one can overpay for Harris either, they're bound to the terms of an ELC.

There's more of an history of relevant Russians staying overseas than Swedish though. I can't even name one relevant Swedish prospect who said no to NHL offers.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

A Jeff Petry special

If this is how his playoffs end, it'll be a good cap on a bumpy-ish season for him. It's never a bad sign when a player picks it up (points wise at least) in the playoffs.

If he can iron out the kinks, keep away from injuries and put all his tools together for some more production; he can be one helluva player. Never having watched a game of his properly, I can't say if that #1D potential is there in any real way. From highlights alone? I think it's possible. He has just about the all the offensive tools. Even if he isn't a true #1 and as much as we're likely going to need a real deal #1 sooner and later, he can be a huge boon for us.

And even if we can't get a textbook #1 from any of Romanov, Guhle, Norlinder, Harris, Struble or Brook; if 3 out of 6 of these guys can hit their ceiling I think we can be in great shape.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If this is how his playoffs end, it'll be a good cap on a bumpy-ish season for him. It's never a bad sign when a player picks it up (points wise at least) in the playoffs.

If he can iron out the kinks, keep away from injuries and put all his tools together for some more production; he can be one helluva player. Never having watched a game of his properly, I can't say if that #1D potential is there in any real way. From highlights alone? I think it's possible. He has just about the all the offensive tools. Even if he isn't a true #1 and as much as we're likely going to need a real deal #1 sooner and later, he can be a huge boon for us.

And even if we can't get a textbook #1 from any of Romanov, Guhle, Norlinder, Harris, Struble or Brook; if 3 out of 6 of these guys can hit their ceiling I think we can be in great shape.

He has the upside to be a top pairing defenseman the same way that a Quinn Hughes, Subban, Karlsson can be. I don't think he's ever going to be elite defensively but his puck movement skills and offense will mean he will see a lot of ice time. The good thing for us is that we will have no shortage of potential partners for him with Romanov or Guhle who can steady things and provide some support.

He's certainly the toolsiest guy in the D pool. He can run a PP1, he can break a game open and he can get the offense started easily and be a 4th forward on the ice.

His play all season has led me to tell people to be patient.. they were worried about points, points, points but he was creating offense and when you do it at the clip he does, production will follow.

Locks

May 28, 2005
This guy can't get over here soon enough with those skills. Here is hoping another Swedish D we just acquired can fill the gap in the meantime.

Reactions: David25

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
He has the upside to be a top pairing defenseman the same way that a Quinn Hughes, Subban, Karlsson can be. I don't think he's ever going to be elite defensively but his puck movement skills and offense will mean he will see a lot of ice time. The good thing for us is that we will have no shortage of potential partners for him with Romanov or Guhle who can steady things and provide some support.

He's certainly the toolsiest guy in the D pool. He can run a PP1, he can break a game open and he can get the offense started easily and be a 4th forward on the

His play all season has led me to tell people to be patient.. they were worried about points, points, points but he was creating offense and when you do it at the clip he does, production will follow.
Eric Gustafsson was more productive at the same age in the SHL.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Eric Gustafsson was more productive at the same age in the SHL.

At the same age (2012-2013), Gustafsson was playing in the Allvensskan because his team demoted. The year before, he did play in the SHL but had a lower pace than Norlinder this season.

2021-2022 will be the comparable from Norlinder to Gustafsson 20pts in 50 games (2013-2014).

Norlinder also had better PO than Gustafsson did as a 22-23 years old.

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020
At the same age (2012-2013), Gustafsson was playing in the Allvensskan because his team demoted. The year before, he did play in the SHL but had a lower pace than Norlinder this season.

2021-2022 will be the comparable from Norlinder to Gustafsson 20pts in 50 games (2013-2014).

Norlinder also had better PO than Gustafsson did as a 22-23 years old.

I just looked this up too. Thanks for clearing that up, it’s annoying the amount of misinformation that gets posted :mad:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I just looked this up too. Thanks for clearing that up, it’s annoying the amount of misinformation that gets posted :mad:

Welcome to HF.

All season long it was "production, production, production" despite on-ice play being really good. What happens as soon as the production comes "well X and X did better" in not even remotely comparable eras or situations.

All you need to know is Norlinder is a really really promising offensive defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad