Prospect Info: Mattias Norlinder - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
there was hype on Beaulieu because he was a 17th OA pick, so that is logical. He was in Hamilton after his D+1 since he was a late B-day and put up good numbers so the hype was going on. I know cause I started getting shit for saying he was not doing well in Hamilton.

Markov was the very start of HF for me, I recall there being some hype but back then it was much harder to get the kind of info we can get now and certainly almost impossible to watch the Euro prospects play outside of the WJC's.

Norlinder doesn't compare to either really, he has a much better defensive game then Beaulieu had at the same age, and while he will likely never be on Markov's level, he doesn't have that kind of puck moving ability, his bread and butter is his shot which is lethal.

Too reductive about Norlinder, IMO. He's a helluva skater, can deke with the puck like hell as well.

IMO, back to Romanov, what's important to take away from all the scouting report and the paid analysis of this player is that he's proactive, everywhere on the ice, which is why he got the nickname, the assassin.

He's proactive, everywhere on the ice, to snuff out opponents' offensive chances, using his gap control effectively to that end and will apply pressure to keep plays alive in the O-z0ne, helping create more offense that way.

He'll hit like a train with a lower center of gravity without taking himself out of the play.

He'll also make plays without ever exposing himself. Maybe that's why he doesn't get as much credit for his skating as a puck-moving skill. He'll carry the puck out of his zone in a controlled fashion and likely toss a solid pass from that point, rather than try to take the puck across town and downtown like the Subbans of this world might. That doesn't mean he doesn't have that ability, though.

Last important thing to remember is that the Tzar is SMART, both with and without the puck. In that respect, it's the closest that he comes to Markov.

Reactions: Acadien86

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Glad to hear that Norlinder is back!

Also, why are there so many posts about Romanov in the Norlinder thread? I'm gonna go bump the Romanov thread for you guys so you don't have to look for it when you want to talk about him.

Reactions: Gyfu

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Norlinder's offensive production suddenly is starting to look quite good compared to his European D peers in the 2019 draft.

if we look at 2019 first rounders D-men during this season:
- Seider and Heinola are the only ones putting insanely better numbers PPG-wise in their leagues.
- Broberg is 3 points ahead of Norlinder in the SHL, but with not a big difference in PPG.
- currently slightly outproducing Tobias Bjornfot, who produced nicely last year in the AHL
- Lassi Thomson is struggling to put any numbers in the Liiga
- Sodertrom is 0.5 ppg in the Allsvenskan, similarly to Norlinder's previous season.

He's a year older, but the rest also has more experience playing in the top euro leagues.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I don't know why people go out of their way to bash Norlinder, Caufield and KK. All of them did/are doing well. KK came in during a season without even a training camp and many couldn't fathom he'd need a few games to adjust (before going over ppg...). I mean, no one's superman in these pro leagues. It's a big jump for Norlinder and he has to prove he can be reliable defensively in the SHL as a guy with a reputation for rushing in offensively.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
With this covid season and him getting a feel for his overall game, I’d be happy if they let him play in the SHL for two years rather than rush him to NA.

I think he will be good either way but a more finished product of what he could become would be fun to see and by then the rest of the main club should be a lot better and he fills a massive need if he gets there

Reactions: kevsavard95

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
This is true for any prospect, obviously.

Just pointing out how when he has a good game, barely any discussion. Goes a game without a point? The usual suspects come in to forge a suicide pact.

hahahaha. It is true.

I do get it though. I do think many voice very real concerns. Certain ones are just so ridiculous that I can't believe they're actually not just trolling for the sake of trolling.

It makes all the sense in the world though to be hugely skeptical about even our top guys.

Firstly, The number of prospects that hit are just low in principle. So right off the hop. Then you have our abhorrent track record and that our top 5 actually has very real question marks. Caufield is just straight up tiny. Norlinder's pretty small too and got an OBSCENE amount of hype. I don't think I've seen a Hab prospect get the crazy player comparisons he's had in the last year. Romanov has offensive upside question marks. Really only Primeau doesn't have question marks (of course a fricking goalie. this curse will never end). Guhle's offensive upside is completely up in the air too.

As optimistic as I am, I'm even getting skeptical. We need this top 5 to hit BIG if we want to be taken seriously imo. It would just feel better if we had 4 top 5 picks we could point too that we were all pretty sold on. It would be a great credit to this regime if we could largely build a Cup core without that advantage (except that one year of course). Really hope these top 5 guys at least can reach their ceilings and they're as high as some of us are hoping.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
This is true for any prospect, obviously.

Just pointing out how when he has a good game, barely any discussion. Goes a game without a point? The usual suspects come in to forge a suicide pact.

I'll never understand people who shoot down young players, but I can understand why some would be cautious about Norlinder.

I remember Yannick Weber coming out blazing in the AHL. Picked in the 3rd round in 2007 (#73), same as Norlinder last year (#64), Weber played his D+2 season as a rookie in the AHL. Born Sept 1988, he started with the Bulldogs in Sept 2008 and garnered 16 goals along with 28 assists in 68 games. He ended up being never more than a 5th Dman, at best.

So, cautionary tale with a similar player, I'm tempering my expectations.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'll never understand people who shoot down young players, but I can understand why some would be cautious about Norlinder.

I remember Yannick Weber coming out blazing in the AHL. Picked in the 3rd round in 2007 (#73), same as Norlinder last year (#64), Weber played his D+2 season as a rookie in the AHL. Born Sept 1988, he started with the Bulldogs in Sept 2008 and garnered 16 goals along with 28 assists in 68 games. He ended up being never more than a 5th Dman, at best.

So, cautionary tale with a similar player, I'm tempering my expectations.

Everyone should be cautious about every prospect.. but they also don't need to turn the lights off, crank up The Cure and dye their tears black while watching the stat sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad