Prospect Info: Mattias Norlinder - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I think Romanov's smart enough that he could fill in on the second unit and do fine. His transition game is great and he'd definitely be good on zone entries, plus he has a bit of a howitzer.
His offensive game will resemble Roman Jossi more than a Weber.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
His offensive game will resemble Roman Jossi more than a Weber.

Romanov is a smooth-skating D with a penchant to hit. He has good technique for body checks and is strong as an ox. I think Romanov stands to be more akin to a McDonagh. Hopefully, Norlinder develops into more of a pure offensive D.

Together, these two Ds could anchor a top-four pairing each and spread the talent across the D-Corps.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Ik this is the wrong thread but... we were talking about Romanov.

Who's also great in transition, but, still not comparable to Josi. He's more of a passer whereas Josi will take the pass and fly with it.
Norlinder can fly as well, he is an mazing skater and has great puck skills...

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Well of course, but regarding Romanov... he's not really the same type of transition player. He's a passer, Josi's a skater.
We've only see the beginning of the bud for Romanov. We cant draw any conclusions from it, but he's going to be a special player. High hockey I.Q , very competitive, closes the gap better than most young players I've ever seen, great first pass, and a very good skater.
I remember on The AThletic last year? a Montreal writer compared Mete's development to becoming a Josi at some point. That kind of comparison is laughable.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
We've only see the beginning of the bud for Romanov. We cant draw any conclusions from it, but he's going to be a special player. High hockey I.Q , very competitive, closes the gap better than most young players I've ever seen, great first pass, and a very good skater.
I remember on The AThletic last year? a Montreal writer compared Mete's development to becoming a Josi at some point. That kind of comparison is laughable.

Every comparaison with any on of our Defensive prospect and Josi is laughable honestly. Josi is a top 3 in the league right know. Especially with Romanov who is a defensive defenceman they really don’t play the same type of game. Romanov is more a Ehklom

Reactions: The Great Weise

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
Every comparaison with any on of our Defensive prospect and Josi is laughable honestly. Josi is a top 3 in the league right know. Especially with Romanov who is a defensive defenceman they really don’t play the same type of game. Romanov is more a Ehklom
Both 2nd rounders, 38th overall, Josi wasn't really supposed to become Josi you know... Time will tell... Romanov has everything to make an impact in the nhl no questions asked (some may see it differently but this is my own personal opinion)... He's not a Josi type player in the 1st place but i'm confident he plays 20+ minutes/game for the next 10+ years, low-maintenance, steady, smart with a very solid foundation to build on, he's probably not gonna get 70pts/yr but his overall impact on the game (my take) will be really good, unless something goes really wrong in his case, he's going to be hard to keep off the ice in any game situation... He's a solid skater with great agility/balance... Look at him, some plays he could destroy players but the smart play is to go for a a pokecheck, doesn't overthink the play, if you make yourself vulnerable you're going to pay, if you think he's just trying to rip your head off he's just gonna use his stick instead, he just makes the right play much more often than not, he can play a fast game, a physical game, a tight-checking game, he's just got a great natural instinct on reading how a play needs to be executed properly considering the situation, he's surely not the guy that's gonna try a pass through 3 opponents unless it's the best available play which is rarely the case... I was one of the dudes that liked weber much more than subban, i still like "that" type of dmen better than the 4th forward type dman personally, I'm not saying romanov is going to be as good as josi but to say it's laughable to believe he might be sounds a bit unfair...

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Both 2nd rounders, 38th overall, Josi wasn't really supposed to become Josi you know... Time will tell... Romanov has everything to make an impact in the nhl no questions asked (some may see it differently but this is my own personal opinion)... He's not a Josi type player in the 1st place but i'm confident he plays 20+ minutes/game for the next 10+ years, low-maintenance, steady, smart with a very solid foundation to build on, he's probably not gonna get 70pts/yr but his overall impact on the game (my take) will be really good, unless something goes really wrong in his case, he's going to be hard to keep off the ice in any game situation... He's a solid skater with great agility/balance... Look at him, some plays he could destroy players but the smart play is to go for a a pokecheck, doesn't overthink the play, if you make yourself vulnerable you're going to pay, if you think he's just trying to rip your head off he's just gonna use his stick instead, he just makes the right play much more often than not, he can play a fast game, a physical game, a tight-checking game, he's just got a great natural instinct on reading how a play needs to be executed properly considering the situation, he's surely not the guy that's gonna try a pass through 3 opponents unless it's the best available play which is rarely the case... I was one of the dudes that liked weber much more than subban, i still like "that" type of dmen better than the 4th forward type dman personally, I'm not saying romanov is going to be as good as josi but to say it's laughable to believe he might be sounds a bit unfair...

Not saying Romanov won't have an impact. My point is that Josi and Romanov play 2 completely different game. One is a offensive PMD AND PP QB and the other is a defensive defenceman that make a good 1st pass

Reactions: Gyfu

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
Not saying Romanov won't have an impact. My point is that Josi and Romanov play 2 completely different game. One is a offensive PMD AND PP QB and the other is a defensive defenceman that make a good 1st pass
Fair enough but i don't think i would label romanov a defensive dman, that's what he does best but he's got a lot more in him... I'm a bit biased in some way because i love these no-nonsense all-around dman a lot more than most, i like his old-school mentality with some fresh, new-school fast paced game, fits his style totally and you know he's going to take care of his own end 1st, he has some untapped offensive potential also i think

Reactions: Dutronc

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Fair enough but i don't think i would label romanov a defensive dman, that's what he does best but he's got a lot more in him... I'm a bit biased in some way because i love these no-nonsense all-around dman a lot more than most, i like his old-school mentality with some fresh, new-school fast paced game, fits his style totally and you know he's going to take care of his own end 1st, he has some untapped offensive potential also i think

When I talk about a defensive defenceman with Romanov I'm not talking about a Edmundson/Chiarot type but a Ehklom/McAvoy type. I don't see much offense in him but he can still be a minutes eaters who play a great defensive game and who move the puck effectively

Last edited:
Reactions: Gyfu

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Question for you guys.... Are we higher on Norlinder today vs Beaulieu back when? Sounds to me we are as high on Norlinder as we were with Markov (pre NHL)?

Not a Norlinder hater and I see the potential but I need him to produce on the ice. Someone said he has been a bit unlucky so lets see how it looks at the end of the year. Lots of good things people are saying about him and I get that

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Question for you guys.... Are we higher on Norlinder today vs Beaulieu back when? Sounds to me we are as high on Norlinder as we were with Markov (pre NHL)?

Not a Norlinder hater and I see the potential but I need him to produce on the ice. Someone said he has been a bit unlucky so lets see how it looks at the end of the year. Lots of good things people are saying about him and I get that

cant say about Markov pre nhl because I was like 5-6 yrs old but for me I am higher on Norlinder than Beaulieu because he played on a stack QJMHL team and all I heard was that he had attitude problems and was a bit selfish. Norlinder plays against men and everything we heard is that he is very serious and working hard. Also a good teammate.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

there was hype on Beaulieu because he was a 17th OA pick, so that is logical. He was in Hamilton after his D+1 since he was a late B-day and put up good numbers so the hype was going on. I know cause I started getting shit for saying he was not doing well in Hamilton.

Markov was the very start of HF for me, I recall there being some hype but back then it was much harder to get the kind of info we can get now and certainly almost impossible to watch the Euro prospects play outside of the WJC's.

Norlinder doesn't compare to either really, he has a much better defensive game then Beaulieu had at the same age, and while he will likely never be on Markov's level, he doesn't have that kind of puck moving ability, his bread and butter is his shot which is lethal.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
cant say about Markov pre nhl because I was like 5-6 yrs old but for me I am higher on Norlinder than Beaulieu because he played on a stack QJMHL team and all I heard was that he had attitude problems and was a bit selfish. Norlinder plays against men and everything we heard is that he is very serious and working hard. Also a good teammate.

Higher on Norlinder because he has a brain. Beaulieu never did.

Reactions: Maitz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad