OT: Matthews

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
TO is in Canada, and hockey is Canada's game. Most don't realize the different atmosphere, attention etc. you get when you play TO compared to little ole Phoenix. Some players don't like the attention, but if you are on a good team, people treat you like god. If I was a NHL player, I would love to play for any original six teams. Everyone is different. I hope AM comes here, but I'm sure not holding my breath.
I don't think Matthews will be a Coyote..........maybe put a 10% chance of that happening. But also don't see Matthews as a hockey 24x7x365 type of guy. Toronto is the 4th biggest city in North America and has a lot to offer beyond hockey...but not the extent of New York or LA. Maybe he pulls a Gretzky?

A lot could depend on this season and his perceived direction of the Leafs.

I think Auston Matthews is great. The problem is he thinks the same.
His ego is massive, no question.

Reactions: Nowotny

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Even in his postgame presser he manages to pat himself on the back lol. His version of "got each other's back" and "we take care of each other out there" seems selfishly one sided haha!

“That’s what we’re all about here, we’ve always got each other's back no matter what the situation is,” Matthews told reporters post-game. “We take care of each other out there, so it’s not surprising, but obviously it feels good.”

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I've really thought up until now Matthews would eventually be here. I just thought it made too much sense from every angle including the fact that he lives here in the off season but after seeing these instances where he starts shit and then doesn't engage, I'm thinking the sticking point may be that he's not the type of player Bill wants on this team, especially leading a bunch of young draft picks. I could see Bill watching that and thinking f*** that guy. I still want the home town super star on the team but he needs to figure out how to fix that. It's a bad look. I don't know if he just can't fight, he's afraid or what. He's a big guy but if he's not going to engage at all, he needs to not start shit.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I've really thought up until now Matthews would eventually be here. I just thought it made too much sense from every angle including the fact that he lives here in the off season but after seeing these instances where he starts shit and then doesn't engage, I'm thinking the sticking point may be that he's not the type of player Bill wants on this team, especially leading a bunch of young draft picks. I could see Bill watching that and thinking f*** that guy. I still want the home town super star on the team but he needs to figure out how to fix that. It's a bad look. I don't know if he just can't fight, he's afraid or what. He's a big guy but if he's not going to engage at all, he needs to not start shit.
I agree, but am having 2nd thoughts about wanting him because of his prima donna attitude. That Flyers game was an embarrassment. Rather go after Horvat or Larkin in free agency (ideally looking for a RHC instead and wish it could be Josh).

Last edited:

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I agree, but am having 2nd thoughts about wanting him because of his prima donna attitude. That Flyers game was an embarrassment. Rather go after Horvat or Larkin in free agency (ideally looking for a RHC instead and wish it could be Josh).
Larkin ain't making it to free agency and Horvat is in the same boat as Chychrun in that he wants a Cup. Minnesota will be eyeing him, I think. (Not that they're in the top 5 for contenders, but they're higher than AZ.)

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Larkin ain't making it to free agency and Horvat is in the same boat as Chychrun in that he wants a Cup. Minnesota will be eyeing him, I think. (Not that they're in the top 5 for contenders, but they're higher than AZ.)
That was more for comparison than something that resembles potential. I do agree that Larkin will likely re-sign, but disagree with your comparison between Minn & AZ next off-season. We can add players where the Wild can only replace and I believe that Meruelo would be willing to open up the "purse strings" once it looks like he will be making a profit in the long term. However I don't have much faith in GMBA when it comes to negotiating contracts and I would like to have at least 1 right hand center in the mix. Still Horvat, Cooley, Hayton, and McBain down the middle looks promising even if the possibility doesn't.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
That was more for comparison than something that resembles potential. I do agree that Larkin will likely re-sign, but disagree with your comparison between Minn & AZ next off-season. We can add players where the Wild can only replace and I believe that Meruelo would be willing to open up the "purse strings" once it looks like he will be making a profit in the long term. However I don't have much faith in GMBA when it comes to negotiating contracts and I would like to have at least 1 right hand center in the mix. Still Horvat, Cooley, Hayton, and McBain down the middle looks promising even if the possibility doesn't.
Horvat should wear the C right away here, too, which would bring some needed stability in the role.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'd rather they forgo all big name free agents but if they must sign one Matthews would be on the very short list of those that are worth the gamble.

Reactions: ck26

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Matthews is a free asset if he will sign with you. You always take it.

The Coyotes are not in a position to turn down a 60 goal scorer that is from Arizona. That's not a thing.

Reactions: ck26

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Matthews is a free asset if he will sign with you. You always take it.

The Coyotes are not in a position to turn down a 60 goal scorer that is from Arizona. That's not a thing.
The Coyotes could easily turn down AM. Just because he is from Arizona means very little to the Coyote's. Sure it would make for a good story, but that doesn't win you hockey games. As always, it will depend how much $$$ AM wants, and how is our team progressing in the rebuild.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
No idea if this is signaling something or completely meaningless but Matthews signed as a Brand Ambassador with RBC today. Its hard to imagine this as a good move by RBC if Matthews leaves Canada. He sure has added endorsements in last year or so.

Reactions: Jakey53

Baby Doaner

Mar 14, 2021
No idea if this is signaling something or completely meaningless but Matthews signed as a Brand Ambassador with RBC today. Its hard to imagine this as a good move by RBC if Matthews leaves Canada. He sure has added endorsements in last year or so.
Hard to turn down money.

Reactions: ck26 and RemoAZ

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
RBC has not insignificant presence in a few parts of the States.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
RBC has not insignificant presence in a few parts of the States.
I know but they are Canadian and that's their bread and butter. I don't think it would be smart to be aligned with a Player who chooses to leave Canada imo. I guess they could always cut ties later if that happened but smarter business would be to have some understanding of future plans I think??

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think the Coyote's are the farthest thing from his mind.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
BOUNCE...

I wonder if the re-signing of Matthews means Nylander's last season may be available? The Leafs may over think it and justify trading Nylander to AZ as a deterrent to bid on Matthews.

Keller-Nylander-Schmaltz
Crouse-Cooley-Maccelli
Hayton-Bedard-Guenther
Geekie-McBain-Fischer

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
BOUNCE...

I wonder if the re-signing of Matthews means Nylander's last season may be available? The Leafs may over think it and justify trading Nylander to AZ as a deterrent to bid on Matthews.

Keller-Nylander-Schmaltz
Crouse-Cooley-Maccelli
Hayton-Bedard-Guenther
Geekie-McBain-Fischer
Nylander is really good but has not been able to play center in NHL with any regularity or success.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
BOUNCE...

Keller-Nylander-Schmaltz
Crouse-Cooley-Maccelli
Hayton-Bedard-Guenther
Geekie-McBain-Fischer
depends on the acquisition price and contract. We have a lot of big $ tied up with wingers. Wingers are much easier to find so not sure why we need to continue paying a premium for that position.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
BOUNCE...

Keller-Nylander-Schmaltz
Crouse-Cooley-Maccelli
Hayton-Bedard-Guenther
Geekie-McBain-Fischer
What re-signing of Matthews?

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
What re-signing of Matthews?
Speculation that the Leafs can only sign 1 or the other in '24, and the best time to trade is in the off-season a year before.
depends on the acquisition price and contract. We have a lot of big $ tied up with wingers. Wingers are much easier to find so not sure why we need to continue paying a premium for that position.
Nylander would be our #1 C.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Speculation that the Leafs can only sign 1 or the other in '24, and the best time to trade is in the off-season a year before. Nylander would be our #1 C.
We said same about Scmaltz when we gave him big $ contract. If our scouts think Nylander is a C then i’m not opposed at making a deal. If he is a winger though i’m not.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
For the Coyotes to bring people in we need a local star. Meruelo will absolutely throw the kitchen sink at him.
That's why the Maple Leafs trade Nylander to AZ, worried the Coyotes have a lot money available to throw at Matthew's. This way it ties up the Coyotes in re-signing Nylander where they can't be serious bidders for Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad