OT: Matthews

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't think AM wants any part of this mess, unless things get a lot clearer than they are now, and I don't see that happening in the next year. AM, for what is worth, has said he loves it in TO. TO is a great city, center of the hockey universe etc., and AM I think likes the attention.
If he loves Toronto, then he will stay, end of story. Why does he live here in the heat all summer? I bet he would much rather live here. What mess? through the magic of BA will be transformed into contenders in 2 years, with the addition of Mathews and all our picks working out, and Chych getting traded for more than whatever..... Who knows, Mathews might want to live here and play here. Last point, exactly how many strong playoff runs has TML had recently? Mathews isn't leaving a dynasty.

Reactions: PainForShane

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If he loves Toronto, then he will stay, end of story. Why does he live here in the heat all summer? I bet he would much rather live here. What mess? through the magic of BA will be transformed into contenders in 2 years, with the addition of Mathews and all our picks working out, and Chych getting traded for more than whatever..... Who knows, Mathews might want to live here and play here. Last point, exactly how many strong playoff runs has TML had recently? Mathews isn't leaving a dynasty.
I think the biggest determining factor is what direction the Leafs are heading. They are close, and if they go far in the playoffs this year AM I believe won't leave. All our picks working out? That's funny. Never happens.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I know nothing about what Matthews wants but it's not exactly uncommon for NHL players to not want to play where they are from. It's been very common for players from Toronto to not want to come home as the easiest example. Also very common for players to spend their summers where their friends and family live.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I know nothing about what Matthews wants but it's not exactly uncommon for NHL players to not want to play where they are from. It's been very common for players from Toronto to not want to come home as the easiest example. Also very common for players to spend their summers where their friends and family live.
Good thing he is an uncommon player!

Reactions: PainForShane

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
TO is in Canada, and hockey is Canada's game. Most don't realize the different atmosphere, attention etc. you get when you play TO compared to little ole Phoenix. Some players don't like the attention, but if you are on a good team, people treat you like god. If I was a NHL player, I would love to play for any original six teams. Everyone is different. I hope AM comes here, but I'm sure not holding my breath.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Take it for what it’s worth, but both Matt Murley and Paul Bissonnette said on the Spittin Chiclets podcast that they hear little birdies saying that he’s eyeing LA if he’s leaving Toronto. It’s still so early on. He’s got two more years on his contract, but as much as I hate to say it, LA makes a lot of sense. He’d be a few hours from Vegas, and a 6 hour drive from his home in AZ. He likes to hang out with celebrities, and LA will probably be more competitive than we are when the time comes.

If he doesn’t sign an extension, I’m sure we will be in the mix. We may be even one of his final choices, but I think we need to start worrying about the Kings maybe even more than Toronto. Again, still so early on. We may even be a pretty attractive destination come 2024, but there will be many teams chomping at the bit.

We should have a pretty good feeling about where this is headed a year from today. I think if he signs an extension in Toronto, it will come before the start of next season. I highly doubt Toronto wants him heading into the final year of his contract without a new deal in place.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Hell, what am I saying. If the cap was at 85 I’d probably still offer it.

But that’s why I’m a fan and not a GM
How many ELCs will we have on the roster then? 1/2 the roster? OK, not quite that many, but it'll be close (as long as the Russians are coming).

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I’m still not fully sold on blowing like 15 million on one guy.
This. What if we land Bedard? What if Cooley hits his ceiling? Are we going to have three guys eating up $40 million of cap space in five years? Matthews might not even be on BA's radar.
Unless we go two highly skilled top lines with cheap bruisers on lines 3 and 4.;)

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Doesn't raising the salary cap usually inflate future player contracts in general not just players like Mathews? Does it really make it easier to spend that much on one player if the cost to ice a team is going up across the board?

Last edited:

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Maybe, maybe he leaves to go to L.A., but I'd be surprised if he leaves Toronto.

Bissonette is the bigger Yotes homer of them all and even he thinks he'll re-sign in Toronto.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
This. What if we land Bedard? What if Cooley hits his ceiling? Are we going to have three guys eating up $40 million of cap space in five years? Matthews might not even be on BA's radar.
Unless we go two highly skilled top lines with cheap bruisers on lines 3 and 4.;)
We have time before we need to cut a check. Lets win a lottery before we get too down the what if oath.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Maybe, maybe he leaves to go to L.A., but I'd be surprised if he leaves Toronto.

Bissonette is the bigger Yotes homer of them all and even he thinks he'll re-sign in Toronto.

Biz pumps tires up more than a Discount Tire store.

It all depends on who’s chain he wants to pull.

It’s what he does.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
WOW!! Just watched the entire clip and analysis of AM doing nothing AFTER he initiated the whole thing. That's absolutely horses**t on AM's part. Have a 2nd yr player come in and do battle for you.?? WTF?? Great player, but that crap won't carry you very far, the Leafs' are going to have some serious problems after the first of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad