OT: Matthews

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Day dream about Matthews, argue about Matthews and be secretly Leafs fans right here in this thread, rather than in all of the other threads.

I’ve started the thread. And now I’m going to ignore the thread.

Good bye!

EDIT: Apparently you can’t ignore your own thread.
No worries…. Sniper or I will gladly forward EVERYTHING to your DMs. :devdance:

(ha ha)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I can't believe our resident Leafs expert hasn't started pissing all over this thread yet. Almost as surprising as RT not starting it out with 57 trade proposals.
Assuming you are talking about me , as I have said many times I have no idea what Matthew's wants but would have zero surprise if he wants out of Toronto. I would also like to see him on the Coyotes but if he wants full value I let someone else make that mistake and stay the course. Its extremely difficult to build a team around a max salary, as a matter of fact teams with higher end salaries just never win.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Hey I'll bite. Probably my fault we started this discussion now anyway, still think it's a year too early oh well. thanks rt for starting the thread! =p

Anyway as some of you know, I poked around capfriendly for a bit, after some number crunching I think we have ample cap space to offer AM34 $15-16m annually without screwing our team up (which also allows $6m for a goalie among other things, assumes current cap which may go up). But it ALSO assumes we do a good job avoiding bad contracts (ie not repeating Jaskin), which is obvi easier said than done.

Either way if you're curious I'd encourage everyone to poke around capfriendly and come to your own conclusion. What I think you'll find is that teams in cap trouble did not get there bc they are overpaying their superstars, it's because they decided to unnecessarily overpay too many other guys. For instance FLA's not in cap trouble bc they're paying Barkov $10m, they're in trouble bc they're paying Bob $10m (not stealing any playoff games) and also 6 mil for their bottom pair D (Montour / Gudas), and also Hornqvist at 5.3m. Those multiple high-value bad contracts are a disaster. Same with EDM with the Keith / Barrie deals, total they cost more than Drai does. MTL with Gallagher, Drouin, Petry, Vegas with Karlsson, Dadonov etc. Speaking of VGK, they're a really good example of this -- since acquiring Eichel they're now paying their 3C (Karlsson) almost 6m annually through 2027, he also has a 10-team no trade. Good luck sorting out that mess.

Anyway given our relative lack of long term deals (only Keller and Schmaltz, soon to be Crouse hopefully) we should be able to offer AM34 as least as much as any other team, and if we avoid bad long term deals (see paragraph above) we'll be able to do that while building a cup contender around him. Big if though -- we'll see what happens in a few years

Reactions: ck26 and 0point1

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Assuming you are talking about me , as I have said many times I have no idea what Matthew's wants but would have zero surprise if he wants out of Toronto. I would also like to see him on the Coyotes but if he wants full value I let someone else make that mistake and stay the course. Its extremely difficult to build a team around a max salary, as a matter of fact teams with higher end salaries just never win.
San Jose called, they'd like to sue for slander..

On a completely seperate note, I've been on this bad joke role and I may require an intervention.

Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Toronto without Matthews would be like the Coyotes that started out this past season. They better trade him and get something now instead of waiting. '23 off-season, teams will know that he is going UFA, so it would be for only as a 1 year rental. They won't get a good trade before his NMC kicks in. It would be suicide for the franchise to not to do it this off-season.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Toronto without Matthews would be like the Coyotes that started out this past season. They better trade him and get something now instead of waiting. '23 off-season, teams will know that he is going UFA, so it would be for only as a 1 year rental. They won't get a good trade before his NMC kicks in. It would be suicide for the franchise to not to do it this off-season.

It's funny, my first thought was you can't really trade a 60G scorer / (likely) Hart Winner... but actually you can, Jumbo was traded during his Hart season and Fleury got cap dumped after winning his first (and probably only) Vezina. So like you said a trade is possible and you'd probably get an absolute haul of prospects / young players. I dunno though, TOR's chances of winning on the ice are much greater with Matthews than without him so I think they should keep him for as long as they can, they're honestly pretty close at least roster-wise.

Also by trading Matthews I think you're basically just giving up with this core, put another way how do you replace his production even for $11,640,250 (what a weird number). Good luck beating Tampa without your 60G scorer down the middle even with better roster depth / good young talent. Anyway imo you still have 2 more years, might as well try to win a cup because for the first time in a long while the Leafs are true contenders.

And also who knows maybe in a year he starts dating a local Toronto girl and decides to re-sign, stranger things have happened. Not worth giving up just yet imo

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Winning the SC is hard, and winning it in the cap world even harder. That's what makes Tampa's run so amazing.

They are not trading AM this off season. They are a very good team, and maybe a player or two from winning it all.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
...the same core.
...the same 1st round exit.
Let's do the same thing next season!

Again, what's the definition of insanity? Could a deal be worked out with Anaheim for McTavish and their 2 1sts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad