OT: Matthews

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I think he'll get either 12 or 13m. Someone will offer him that, no way he isn't going UFA at this point think, as I don't see the Leafs offering him that. I wouldn't hate it being us, since we have a lot of guys that are cheap.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
FB_IMG_1684019621988.jpg

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
I am all for staying the course and not trading for Matthews. If he wants to come to the Coyotes via Free Agency I'd be afraid that it would be like a Tavares to Toronto Scenario where the huge contract he will require holds the team back from keeping and adding to the young core they have been able to assemble. The Hall Trade has me very apprehensive of going in for a splash move when the roster isn't ready for it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hahaha glorious. AZ Sports Guy is a great follow.

For the record, sign me up for this. I'd give him 8 x 12 in a heartbeat.

Come home Auston.
I think you can only go 7 yrs. The cap will start to go up drastically in the next couple of years, so it could be a win win for everyone.
I am all for staying the course and not trading for Matthews. If he wants to come to the Coyotes via Free Agency I'd be afraid that it would be like a Tavares to Toronto Scenario where the huge contract he will require holds the team back from keeping and adding to the young core they have been able to assemble. The Hall Trade has me very apprehensive of going in for a splash move when the roster isn't ready for it.
I would not trade for AM, but wait until he becomes a UFA. If AM would sign here for 12M, and with the cap going way up in a couple of years, it could be a big win for the Coyotes. AM is about to find out what it's like to be on the other side of the media in that fish bowl in TO.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
We aren’t doing anything Matthews related unless we win a Tempe vote and even then the $ associated with building the entertainment district and limited revenue streams until we open a new arena it then depends entirely on Muerelo’s desires to lose a lot more $ for positive press. I don’t get sense they are going to deviate from the long-term plan.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We aren’t doing anything Matthews related unless we win a Tempe vote and even then the $ associated with building the entertainment district and limited revenue streams until we open a new arena it then depends entirely on Muerelo’s desires to lose a lot more $ for positive press. I don’t get sense they are going to deviate from the long-term plan.
Timing and deal structure could solve for this. Acquiring after his signing bonus is paid, would mean he costs less than a million in real dollars next season. Then, his extension could be structured in a way where signing bonus money is deferred for a few years until the TED revenue machine has been fired up and run for a year.

Not saying any of this is likely. Nor am I saying I want it to happen. Just that it could happen after a YES vote, and be structured in a way where it’s pretty cheap until TED is rolling.

Reactions: Jakey53 and hbk

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Matthews will wear the kachina one day but it will be after the arena drama reaches a conclusion and the barn is built. Just my two cents.

Enjoyed the melodrama with Laughs fans on other boards that want to pull the plug on their current roster (Matthews included). Elite whining.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I had little interest in Matthews had we landed Bedard. He would have been our Tavares. But, now there is space in AZ for him to be the 1C.

Still some concerns though. I think AM has developed some entitlement. A function of the Toronto limelight. You're gonna think you're the greatest f***er ever when everyone is telling you you're the greatest f***er ever. I think a return home, lesser lights, and surrounded by an environment of Tourigny & Co. can wash off the stink of Toronto.

Still wouldn't do max contract though.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I don't see any team trading for Matthews and taking on that cap hit for just 1 year.
Will Toronto let him walk in free agency? How will the rest of the team react to that situation? And if AM says he will only waive for the Coyotes, would it be worth it to the Leafs to take whatever they can? And wouldn't it be worth it to the Coyotes to offer an unconditional 1st to get Matthews for 1 year @$775000 and a full year to negotiate an 8 year contract? Wouldn't it be in the best interests of both teams to do that? I say an unconditional 1st because getting Matthews should get us over the bubble and faith in GMBA to get the blueliners needed.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Matthews will wear the kachina one day but it will be after the arena drama reaches a conclusion and the barn is built. Just my two cents.

Enjoyed the melodrama with Laughs fans on other boards that want to pull the plug on their current roster (Matthews included). Elite whining.

All the resources in the world and they have two amateurs in the two most important spots.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Stay the course. Bringing in Matthews now might turn us into TML. Playoff pretenders. We need to draft high again one more time, but not tanktastic like, IMO.

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I would offer a first, Keller and Schmaltz, and a bunch of seconds for Matthews. We give up a bunch, but TANSTAAFL. New top 6 would include Macceli, Guenther, Cooley, Crouse, and Jenik. And Matthews.

• Wow
Reactions: Kai Yo T and Kaizen

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I would offer a first, Keller and Schmaltz, and a bunch of seconds for Matthews. We give up a bunch, but TANSTAAFL. New top 6 would include Macceli, Guenther, Cooley, Crouse, and Jenik. And Matthews.

Matthews pace: 1.15 ppg
Keller's pace: 1.05 ppg

One played on a top 10 offense, the other the Coyotes.
One is also probably going to make $5m less than what Matthews gets

It's not even, but it's nowhere near that far apart.

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
12th pick is the most i'd trade for Matthews, maybe throw in Schmaltz

Edit: Also BA would have to be certain that AM signs

wbwing

Aug 28, 2014
I know this is an automatic no on optics.... But what about Hayton for Matthews? Love Hayton. Think he is going to get better and better. But this is the type of trade that works for both sides. Hayton, with elite wings on either side can definitely keep up/contribute on a 1st line. As he matures, might be just as good for playoff hockey. And he is cheap cheap now and cheaper long term too. Use the extra money to put a top/physical winger on his wing to go with marner and better D depth. They get younger and cheaper. We lose a good up and coming C, but the oldest one of our stable. We get Cooley in at 1B. And Dvorsky/Geekie developing. At some point one of them can supplant the 2C role and Cooley 1C as Matthews/Keller age. Keller/Matthews would be just as good if not better than Marner/Matthews.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
If he's acquired this offseason, it costs you multiple things in the immediate future:
- some asset or assets while we rebuild
- a roster spot for development (could be construed as sheltering though)
- presumably a bump in the standings, reducing our top pick next year

You'd get:
- another top player to draw match-ups and improve the team
- marketability (perhaps limited with the small capacity arena)
- opportunity to re-sign him to 8 years

He's not necessary next season and he probably gets to try another playoff run by sticking to the end of his contract in Toronto. I don't know that the extra year to lower the average caphit is that valuable to spend lose those assets.

Prefer to just wait for free agency unless there's some weird scenario like he's injured and Toronto is blowing it up at the deadline so his price is wildly lower than expected.

This all also hinges on what his expected salary demands are. Not that we can't figure out a way to afford it, but from a team building perspective, I don't think he produces enough to justify that much more caphit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad