OT: Matthews

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
One player isn't going to sell out that arena every night, even if that player used to go to the same Filiberto's that some of the locals went to when he was a kid. Winning is the only thing that's going to sell it out and in this town, and I don't even think that'll do it, honestly.
Hard disagree on your last point, winning will absolutely cause sell outs. Sure a winning streak or a random playoff appearance isn't going to do it but if the Coyotes were to become an actual force in the NHL, a cup contender, there will be lots and lots of sell outs. Everyone like a winner!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
One player isn't going to sell out that arena every night, even if that player used to go to the same Filiberto's that some of the locals went to when he was a kid. Winning is the only thing that's going to sell it out and in this town, and I don't even think that'll do it, honestly.
Winning is the only thing that hasn't been done yet. IF the Yote's can start winning consistently they will sell out or close to it.

Hard disagree on your last point, winning will absolutely cause sell outs. Sure a winning streak or a random playoff appearance isn't going to do it but if the Coyotes were to become an actual force in the NHL, a cup contender, there will be lots and lots of sell outs. Everyone like a winner!
That's exactly how I feel.:thumbu:

Reactions: YotesFan47

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Does anyone else see the "similiar threads" feature at the bottom of this page? Is this a new feature or have I been blind all this time?
I see it too and it has to be today years old because I spend way too much time on this site for me NOT to notice something like that until today.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I see it too and it has to be today years old because I spend way too much time on this site for me NOT to notice something like that until today.
:laugh:
Thank you and me too.
It's only happening on the bottom of this thread. Strange.

Last edited:

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
^Sounds great - I think the only problem any of us have is if there ends up being about 15 million reasons every year for 8 years or whatever.

Reactions: Jakey53

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
This Coyote fan rather have Nylander (at much less money) than top-dollar Matthews and it's all about their next contract.

Boo on you.

AM34 is a legit #1C and will remain so if we're lucky enough to get him when he hits UFA.

Some players are good. AM34 is one of them.

We'll see what happens but I'd be very surprised if landing AM34 hurts our on ice team. Even if we pay him 15m per year.
(for comparison, Little Mac Nate McKinnon has signed the largest contract in the NHL at 12.6m cap hit which imo is more than well deserved)

I'd rather be a team that has most than one guy who can be a game changer. Bedard included.

Nah. Winning a cup is hard. We'll have to go through other very good teams who also have a game changer (maybe multiple). Like EDM with McDrai or TB with Kuch / Stamkos (maybe Point and Hedman) or TOR with Matthews / Marner or even PIT with Sid and Geno who are still game changers even now.

One game changer is not enough for a cup contending (let alone winning) team. The more game changers the better

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Nah. Winning a cup is hard. We'll have to go through other very good teams who also have a game changer (maybe multiple). Like EDM with McDrai or TB with Kuch / Stamkos (maybe Point and Hedman) or TOR with Matthews / Marner or even PIT with Sid and Geno who are still game changers even now.

One game changer is not enough for a cup contending (let alone winning) team. The more game changers the better
I genuinely believe that Toronto as a team is very close to being able to win a cup, a little puck luck and better matchups would see them able to beat most other teams, the problem is that they never have these things, and that they play down to other teams and other teams play up to them. The other thing is that they always have super bad matchups in the playoffs like Tampa, who are essentially the Leafs but better in every way, having a franchise goalie, a much much better D corp headed by a better #1D, and at worst a slightly worse forward corp that plays much better in the playoffs.

All that to say that I hate the Leafs and hope they fail forever, but that Matthews alone would be enough if you add the rest of the team and have a good one around him with good coaching and a little luck. If Matthews is your best player that's certainly not a problem. And if the Leafs just swapped 2 of their second best forwards for equivalent goalie and D, they'd be at worst in the same spot they are now.

Hopefully we can follow that template in the future, because honestly it looks like our future is quite bright. And as long as Tourigny is the coach I have faith in him. Think about it, when the Leafs started this core with Nylander, Matthews, and Marner, they had much less depth than we do in the cupboards. They've attracted some free agents and made some trades, but their cupboards are still fairly bare, and they still have the same core they started with. Our current core is much worse, obviously, but our prospect pool? I'd argue that it's better now than it ever has been, as a whole- Keller and Schmaltz are good pieces. Chychrun is a good piece. Crouse is too. But we have Guenther, Cooley, Moser, Soderstrom, our 2023 1st, Geekie, and even other pieces like Doan, Macelli, Jenik, Raty, and Fedotov. Not all of these will probably pan out, but they all have a pretty good chance to do so, and if they do all pan out, in 1-3 years I think we'll have a great roster that can compete. Especially if we keep adding through the draft and FA while this is happening to shore up weaknesses. The ONLY thing we're really missing is elite pieces- we have a glut of talent at nearly every position (sans goaltending) coming up through the system, but we're lacking the elite Matthews like talent currently- although Chychrun could be that for us on defense. And our 2023 1st is HOPEFULLY going to shore that up so...we might just be set, hopefully.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Boo on you.

AM34 is a legit #1C and will remain so if we're lucky enough to get him when he hits UFA.

Some players are good. AM34 is one of them.

We'll see what happens but I'd be very surprised if landing AM34 hurts our on ice team. Even if we pay him 15m per year.
I rather have Nylander @ $8-9M than Matthews @ $15+M. It comes down to the contracts. '23 draft could be the most import draft in Coyote history (said the same thing last season). We'll have lots of ELCs when Matthews/Nylander hit free agency. Probably need to sign both to get to the floor...

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I rather have Nylander @ $8-9M than Matthews @ $15+M. It comes down to the contracts. '23 draft could be the most import draft in Coyote history (said the same thing last season). We'll have lots of ELCs when Matthews/Nylander hit free agency. Probably need to sign both to get to the floor...

Wouldn't it be nice if we actually did that...

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
When the Jets were playing against Gretzky’s Oilers and the Calgary Flames and were playing in a conference with arguably the 3 best teams in the league nobody was crying or campaigning about changing the playoff brackets. It was what it was. I have zero sympathy that its hard for the Leafs to win a playoff series.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Time for a Matthews bump:

My opinion; He has made his money and now it's about his legacy. Signs for 8 × $9M after being traded to AZ after his signing bonus is paid. Taking top money is just rhetoric from Leafs fans.
The cost to get him to Tempe starts with an unconditional 2024 1st (mostly a selling point to the Leafs fan base as the Coyotes will make the playoffs next season with AM) and a player from a 3rd team paid by draft assets (I was thinking if they could convince PLD to re-sign with the Leafs instead of signing with the Habs, but it could be someone else).

Wouldn't surprise me if his testosterone levels increases in Arizona!

If we get him, then I hope GMBA gets a couple of RHDs, what I expect we need for a playoff run if this scenario materializes.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
What will sell out the arena is the team play, not one player, at least in the long term. There is a lot of "ifs" to get AM to sign here, and I think the biggest one is what direction the Leafs are headed. We would also have to pay both Cooley and Bedard in a year or two as well. Don't see it unless AM takes a hometown discount which I don't think he will.
Adding a bonafide star #1C goes a long way towards winning.

Not the only thing, of course. D needs some work. I think if they add Matthews it will make it a lot easier to sign a Dumba or Severson or???

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Time for a Matthews bump:

My opinion; He has made his money and now it's about his legacy. Signs for 8 × $9M after being traded to AZ after his signing bonus is paid. Taking top money is just rhetoric from Leafs fans.
The cost to get him to Tempe starts with an unconditional 2024 1st (mostly a selling point to the Leafs fan base as the Coyotes will make the playoffs next season with AM) and a player from a 3rd team paid by draft assets (I was thinking if they could convince PLD to re-sign with the Leafs instead of signing with the Habs, but it could be someone else).

Wouldn't surprise me if his testosterone levels increases in Arizona!

If we get him, then I hope GMBA gets a couple of RHDs, what I expect we need for a playoff run if this scenario materializes.
I think the AAV for Matthews will be closer to $15M than it will $10M.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I disagree. This past season he made just under $8M and he will again make just under $8M for this upcoming season. I think he will be fine with a $72M contract.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I disagree. This past season he made just under $8M and he will again make just under $8M for this upcoming season. I think he will be fine with a $72M contract.
This will be AM's last big contract. I don't think he takes any home town discount.

The I would let him play wherever AM's wants, because at that price it won't be with the Coyote's.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad