Votes: 261 62.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Put Wheeler on Matthews wing and Hyman on Schiefele’s wing and it’s obvious.

The fact that Matthews is over ppg with that offensive plug speaks volumes itself.

Shiefele is a hell of a player though, I just think it’s hard to take him over a player that scored 40 goals his rookie year and is ppg in his second year.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Scheifele is better now, Matthews will probably be better long term.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Any sane person who watches broadcast of a HNIC Leafs game should want to vomit 10 minutes into the first period because of the bias/favouritism on tv. I feel bad for Leaf fans because it puts these ideas in their heads about “generational” and “top 5 C” in their head. It’s a major conflict of interest and poisoning every Saturday broadcast for the next decade.
Yep, Hughson is a massive Leaf Homer.............. That's why he clearly supports the Canucks due to being their broadcast guy for years prior to getting the HNIC.

The only extremely pro-Leaf guy is Cherry, and he, in general, is more biased for local Canadians (non-Quebecers) than anything else.

I love how much the Leafs coverage riles up people from outside of the GTA. This is what happens when you live in a country where 1/4 of the population lives an hour (Golden Horseshoe population of 9.25 million) and a half away from Toronto just as a metropolitan area is equal in size give or take 50 thousand people than Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver and Winnipeg's metropolitan areas combined. Who the hell do you expect them to cover? Especially when the only market even close in size is fragmented by linguistics.

Last edited:

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Chef's full time winger has 36 points, 2 more than Chef. Matthews' full time winger has 14 points, 12 points less than Auston.

Scheifele is a fine player and probably bordering on top 20 player in the league. Matthews is top

Last edited:

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
I wouldn't call out posters on here for using the term generational with him when multiple broadcasters have called him that.
Last year Leafs fans were laughing at several ex-players and broadcasters saying that Laine's style reminded them from Mario.

So now it's okey to call Matthews generational, which IMO is more absurd claim, than saying that Laine reminds Mario.. (No-one sane said that, he's going to be as good as Mario)

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Would be interested to see whether a single vote for Matthews was by a non-leafs fan. Last year Scheifele had 13 more points, and this year has 1 more goal and 8 more points.

Unless... Matthew's Selke-level defence is the difference maker?

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
Scheifele pretty easily at the moment, Matthews has the potential to catch up in the future.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Would be interested to see whether a single vote for Matthews was by a non-leafs fan. Last year Scheifele had 13 more points, and this year has 1 more goal and 8 more points.

Unless... Matthew's Selke-level defence is the difference maker?

In 24 games

Matthews:
13 G, 13 A, 26 pts
Scheifele: 12 G, 15 A, 27 pts

And this is with Scheifele in his prime years.

Reactions: bionic

PucksOnNet

Nov 12, 2017
It's already been established that Matthews is far superior to Laine, so Winnipeg fans have to create a poll pitting Matthews against their #1C now playing in his 5th year. Matthews is over a PPG in his sophmore season thus far with Zach Hyman on his left wing. Wanna know how many points Scheifele scored in his sophmore season? 49. Matthews also manages to put up monster possession stats and is garnering Selke consideration. Get the picture?

Can't wait for the next polls which will inevitably be:

Matthews vs. Dale Hawerchuk
Matthews vs. Thomas Steen

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Close but probably Scheifele for now due to him being closer to his prime. Matthews should overtake him in the near future.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
In 24 games

Matthews:
13 G, 13 A, 26 pts
Scheifele: 12 G, 15 A, 27 pts

And this is with Scheifele in his prime years.
Two great post that will go ignored unfortunately. Matthews is so far ahead at this point in his development then Scheifele was at the same age it's silly. Even this season with the same amount of games played Matthews has more goals and one less point.
Want to add goodproper60 post sorry

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
It's already been established that Matthews is far superior to Laine, so Winnipeg fans have to create a poll pitting Matthews against their #1C now playing in his 5th year. Matthews is over a PPG in his sophmore season thus far with Zach Hyman on his left wing. Wanna know how many points Scheifele scored in his sophmore season? 49. Matthews also manages to put up monster possession stats and is garnering Selke consideration. Get the picture?

Matthews v Hawerchuk is actually a pretty good comparison. Both #1 picks, both off to strong starts from the very get go in their careers, one already in the Hall of Fame and the other destined for it, barring health. But I see Matthews having better team success. Finally, after all this time, a good comprison vs the right Jet.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

How is any of this is relevant to a comparison about them as players now? I swear by some Leafs fans' posts we should just do all time player rankings based on teenaged rookie seasons. It's funny you bring up Hawerchuk, because he was one of the best teenage players of all time, but while he was a great player and Hall of Famer, he didn't end up as good as a whole lot of players who took longer to develop. Matthews' start is obviously extremely promising and impressive, and you have to think the odds are he ends up with the better career than Scheifele, but as players right this moment, they're certainly close.

Also, I keep seeing people referencing Matthews' monster possession stats, but other than xGF, there's really nothing overly impressive about his corsi, Fenwick, etc. Is there something I'm missing here. Honest question

Last edited:
Reactions: flamesforcup

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Wow the goal post moving is insane by Leafs fans. First you say he is a top 10 player than when you compare him to someone better than him you guys whine he is young. So which is it than. Obviously he is not a top 10 player not even close. Player development is not linear. For all we know this could be Matthews peak i mean look at Marner who has looked pretty bad this year he should show u development isnt linear

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Wow the goal post moving is insane by Leafs fans. First you say he is a top 10 player than when you compare him to someone better than him you guys whine he is young. So which is it than. Obviously he is not a top 10 player not even close. Player development is not linear. For all we know this could be Matthews peak i mean look at Marner who has looked pretty bad this year he should show u development isnt linear
Better then him? In the same amount if games played this year Matthews has more goals and is one point back. Scheifele has never scored 40, Matthews is better Defensively and he plays with with Hyman who is an offensive black hole. Oh by the way. Matthews is 20 while Scheifele is in his mid 20's. I wouldn't be so sure of your "he's better " statement

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
How is any of this is relevant to a comparison about them as players now? I swear by some Leafs fans' posts we should just do all time player rankings based on rookie seasons

Also, I keep seeing people referencing Matthews' monster possession stats, but other than xGF, there's really nothing overly impressive about them.
Okay, then lets just look at Matthews numbers since he entered the league then, and compare them against every NHL forward who has played more than 1000 minutes in that time frame.

He's 1st in 5v5 goals
He's 4th in 5V5 Primary points (Behind McDavid, Kane and Kucherov)
He's 10th in total points at 5v5 (Behind McDavid, Kane, Scheifele, Kucherov, Tarasenko, Zetterberg, Panarin, Marchand and Crosby)
He's 3rd in xGF at 5v5 (behind Crosby and McDavid)
He's 1st in ixGF at 5v5
He's 4th in all situations goals (behind Ovechkin, Crosby and Kucherov)
He's 7th in all situations primary points (Behind Kucherov, Crosby, McDavid, Kane, Wheeler and Scheifele)
He's 15th in all situations total points
He's 5th in primary points per 60 in all situations (Behind Crosby, Guentzel, Malkin and Kucherov)
He's 6th in primary points per 60 at 5v5 (behind Malkin, McDavid, Kucherov, Marchand and Anders Lee)

He does this while being a good possession player (above 50% in raw possession stats and being a positive guy relative to his team). Also, a bunch of those guys play with better linemates than Matthews. Schiefele always has one of Wheeler or Laine on his wing, while Matthews has Hyman permanently attached. Kucherov has played all this season with Stamkos (although he has looked great with lesser partners). Tarasenko is probably the only guy mentioned who consistently played with a player worse than Matthews at 5v5 (Lehtera). He's carried lines with fellow 1st and 2nd-year players since day one, never getting extended time with any veterans outside of the powerplay.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Scheifele by a hair right now.

Obviously going forward it's Matthews. He's a special player, Leafs are lucky the ping pong balls fell their way and they got him. When he puts his full arsenal together he's going to dominate the league.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
How is any of this is relevant to a comparison about them as players now? I swear by some Leafs fans' posts we should just do all time player rankings based on teenaged rookie seasons. It's funny you bring up Hawerchuk, because he was one of the best teenage players of all time, but while he was a great player and Hall of Famer, he didn't end up as good as a whole lot of players who took longer to develop. Matthews' start is obviously extremely promising and impressive, and you have to think the odds are he ends up with the better career than Scheifele, but as players right this moment, they're certainly close.

Also, I keep seeing people referencing Matthews' monster possession stats, but other than xGF, there's really nothing overly impressive about his corsi, Fenwick, etc. Is there something I'm missing here. Honest question
I think you’re missing all the selke trophies he has already won

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Here are some facts.

Scheifele is the better player now. He plays in all situations, he gets the toughest match ups and he has proven he can carry the load without a comparable Center as shelter on the Jets.

At ages 23 and 24, in his last 107 games, he has 46 goals, 70 assists. For a total of 116 pts. 9 points over a PPG. This is how good Scheifele is already. We know this. He was 7th in NHL scoring last season, and he is 5th this year for all players.

By comparison, Matthews was 20th in NHL scoring last year, and he is currently 28th in the NHL.

It would be silly to suggest Matthews will not improve. However, it would also faulty to think his development will mirror Scheifele's.

Scheifele is still improving and he is going to set a very high bar for anyone to match his production and the player he is.

Can Matthews match Scheifele? Yes, perhaps. But it is not a foregone conclusion as some people think. The one advantage I see in Scheifele that I have yet seen in Matthews is he can accumulate assists with ease. He is a better playmaker and this will make his production more sustainable in the long run as Scheifele is also proving to be pretty adept at goal scoring.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Here are some facts.

Scheifele is the better player now. He plays in all situations, he gets the toughest match ups and he has proven he can carry the load without a comparable Center as shelter on the Jets.

At ages 23 and 24, in his last 107 games, he has 46 goals, 70 assists. For a total of 116 pts. 9 points over a PPG. This is how good Scheifele is already. We know this. He was 7th in NHL scoring last season, and he is 5th this year for all players.

By comparison, Matthews was 20th in NHL scoring last year, and he is currently 28th in the NHL.

It would be silly to suggest Matthews will not improve. However, it would also faulty to think his development will mirror Scheifele's.

Scheifele is still improving and he is going to set a very high bar for anyone to match his production and the player he is.

Can Matthews match Scheifele? Yes, perhaps. But it is not a foregone conclusion as some people think. The one advantage I see in Scheifele that I have yet seen in Matthews is he can accumulate assists with ease. He is a better playmaker and this will make his production more sustainable in the long run as Scheifele is also proving to be pretty adept at goal scoring.

I wish Matthews was 7 months younger. Think of all that unlocked potential!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Here are some facts.

Can Matthews produce yes, perhaps. But it is not a foregone conclusion as some people think. The one advantage I see in Scheifele is he can accumulate assists with ease. He is a better playmaker and this will make his production sustainable.
Except Matthews is already beating Scheifele in a bunch of production based metrics in that exact same time frame, despite having lesser linemates, less powerplay time, and being a better possession player. Those are also facts, which are equally as selectively chosen as the ones you have. At least I put forth things Schiefele was better at. If you want to make the crux of your argument that Scheifele is better because of their gap in secondary assists fine, but that's the main thing he has that is a significant advantage over Matthews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad