• Scheifele

Votes: 261 62.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I don’t see any logical explanation for saying Schiefle is “clearly” better than Matthews. Matthews scores more, with inferior line mates and less PP time.

There isn't really. I guess people get sick of hearing about him and so anyone he's compared to must be better.

kujo31

Aug 18, 2007
To be fair, this one isn't close right now.
Before he got hurt, Scheife was legit one of the top 5 players in the league; maybe top 3.

Before he got injured Scheifele had 38 points in 38 games ? Matthews has 33 points in 34 games played and has 19 goals which is more then Scheifele with a good amount of less games played?
why then is Scheifele # mean he is that much better it makes no sense? if Scheifele had 45 points in 38 games or whatever that would make sense?

Both players are top 10 Centers in the NHL both are top 20 players neither is having a significantly better season then the other and i think its ridiculous anyone is saying anything otherwise.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

kujo31

Aug 18, 2007
Also before Matthew's got injured he was on pace to be in the top 10 possibly to- 5 in scoring to this point so you could also say that before Matthew's got injured he was playing as a top 5 player in the NHL too

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
scheifele has been in top 5/top 10 in scoring since he got the job as a number 1 centre

he has slowed down a bit, but don't hang onto that fact as an argument considering since his sample size is larger than 100 games and not just his last 10 games

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Very comparable players (at the moment, Matthews is likely to peak much better), but I would take Scheifele by a hair. He's been putting up the points for a much longer time and over the last 3 years has proven to be a PPG player. Matthews may be there as well, as soon as this year, but a 30 game sample size is not enough yet IMO.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Dont think it says much that Matthews loses PP time to Bozak. More proof Babcock is overrated.

Don't know if overrated is the correct word for it. Babcock seems to be a great teacher and motivator but is bizarre about some player usage.

There have been many nights where Komarov has played more minutes than Matthews, or even lead the team in ice time. Hyman is glued to Matthews no matter how bad his hands are. Polak is a dumpster fire who can't play his way out of the lineup.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Scheifele has proven to be a PPG player since the midway point of the 2015-16 season. Over a 150 game sample. Matthews is now under a PPG for the first time this season through just 34 games.

Right now it is Scheifele until Matthews can prove he can sustain his points production over a 150 game sample as Scheifele has.

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey
Don't know if overrated is the correct word for it. Babcock seems to be a great teacher and motivator but is bizarre about some player usage.

There have been many nights where Komarov has played more minutes than Matthews, or even lead the team in ice time. Hyman is glued to Matthews no matter how bad his hands are. Polak is a dumpster fire who can't play his way out of the lineup.
I think overrated is fair only because of how much he was paid and how highly touted he was on the market. He has some major flaws but he seems inspiring to the players

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think overrated is fair only because of how much he was paid and how highly touted he was on the market. He has some major flaws but he seems inspiring to the players

It seems like he's making the players work for what they're getting and not just putting them in the easiest positions to succeed, and making them learn a defensive game which most of them clearly need work on. I still don't get having Komarov constantly play that much though and his top players so little.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Also before Matthew's got injured he was on pace to be in the top 10 possibly to- 5 in scoring to this point so you could also say that before Matthew's got injured he was playing as a top 5 player in the NHL too

He really was, and it isn't due to the amount of points he had either, it was due to his level of play which he hasn't really regained since his first injury. Babcock even said so last night.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
He really was, and it isn't due to the amount of points he had either, it was due to his level of play which he hasn't really regained since his first injury. Babcock even said so last night.
And if Laine would have continued the level of play he had before his concussion he would have won the Calder. At the end of the day ‘what ifs’ are just excuses

Reactions: Frosty415

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
And if Laine would have continued the level of play he had before his concussion he would have won the Calder. At the end of the day ‘what ifs’ are just excuses

I can recall a TON of posters from a certain fanbase claiming this was not a legitimate excuse for Laine to use last year.

how quickly the goal posts move.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

No he wouldn't have. That is just wishful thinking. I also never even claimed he would continue to play like a top 5 player, I just said he was and hasn't regained his form since injury. It's okay, Laine will be great one day so hold your horses. Right now you atleast have 2 others who are better than Matthews on their own (lol).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No he wouldn't have. That is just wishful thinking. I also never even claimed he would continue to play like a top 5 player, I just said he was and hasn't regained his form since injury. It's okay, Laine will be great one day so hold your horses. Right now you atleast have 2 others who are better than Matthews on their own (lol).
Laine's still not as good as Matthews was last year despite being 5 months older.........

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Laine's still not as good as Matthews was last year despite being 5 months older.........

Of course he's not, he's not even really close as an overall player. At this point I think the Matthews polls are getting tiresome because it's clear that every other teams best player, or heck even 2nd or 3rd best, are better than Matthews. Boy he's got some work to before he climbs into hfboards top 60, but I have faith in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->