• Scheifele

Votes: 261 62.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Then you must have watched hockey blindfolded.. If you think, that he's even close the worst ones.. Well, atleast i know now, where Nylander and Marner belong according to you.

And as a hint, those who "think" that Laine is better than Matthews are trolls. (And i'm talking as right now)
Modano or Selänne all over again.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
If you have 4 players better than our best player, why are we tied in points, with you being behind in the standings?

There's one guy in the Jets who's been bit better than Matthews this year and it's Scheif. Not by massive amount but he's been better. I've watched the Leafs and I do agree that Matthews has been great defensively too but in my eyes he's not that much better defensively than Scheif. Better? Probably. But the difference in their offensive production this season (and past) is way bigger than defensive difference this season.

I said earlier that right now, this very second, Scheifele is the better player but with Matthews potential I expect it to change rather sooner than later. Maybe as quickly as at the end of this season.

But no amount of context/defensive play is enough to overweight the difference int their actual production.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I really don't understand why so many Jets fans feel that Laine is better than Mathews.
I HAVE SEEN THE BEST OF THE BEST, The worst of the worst. for over close to 55 years and have never ever seen what so many Finish fans are so Hypnotized about a certain player!!! I have loved hockey for over 55 years, but he is one of the worst hockey players I have ever seen!!!!

Are you all right? Don't go have a stroke or anything. It's important for you elderly people to sit down, close your eyes and breath if you get agitated.

PucksOnNet

Nov 12, 2017
Well I didn't see this before to call out what an idiotic post it is. Defeat? From what? The fact that Scheifele is killing him in points? You act like its a rarity that players do or don't live up to their potential but it happens all the ****ing time. Scheifele has far exceeded expectations. So has Benn. So has Gaudreau. So has literally hundreds of players over the years. And when a player has reached star status, it doesn't ****ing matter about some bull**** pedigree of fans giggling like little schoolgirls over finally have a good player after a decade of hopelessness that they **** their pants over the smallest things. It's extremely difficult to reach a level above where Scheifele is now, and there's absolutely no guarantees for any player. It's a simple as that.

Well, ad hominem attacks aside, you completely missed the crux of my post and went all keyboard warrior, congratulations. Excellent straw man as well, I'm sure you were captain of the debate team in high school.

I'm going to make this painstakingly simple for you; Matthews has been far, far better than Scheifele at every point in their respective careers. Matthews was considered a can't miss franchise C a year before his draft. Matthews won the Calder in a year that featured one of the best rookie classes in recent memory. Scheifele didn't produce at a PPG clip until his 4th year in the league, Matthews is doing it in his sophomore year. Matthews is already one of the best players in the league at the age of 20, Scheifele was barely producing at a 0.5 rate at age 20. Do you not think it's logical to conclude that Matthews will surpass Scheifele in the near future?

I also love the assertion that it's extremely difficult to surpass a player of Scheifele's caliber, as if he's Evgeni Malkin circa 2008-2009. Give me a f***ing break.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Well, ad hominem attacks aside, you completely missed the crux of my post and went all keyboard warrior, congratulations. Excellent straw man as well, I'm sure you were captain of the debate team in high school.

I'm going to make this painstakingly simple for you; Matthews has been far, far better than Scheifele at every point in their respective careers. Matthews was considered a can't miss franchise C a year before his draft. Matthews won the Calder in a year that featured one of the best rookie classes in recent memory. Scheifele didn't produce at a PPG clip until his 4th year in the league, Matthews is doing it in his sophomore year. Matthews is already one of the best players in the league at the age of 20, Scheifele was barely producing at a 0.5 rate at age 20. Do you not think it's logical to conclude that Matthews will surpass Scheifele in the near future?

I also love the assertion that it's extremely difficult to surpass a player of Scheifele's caliber, as if he's Evgeni Malkin circa 2008-2009. Give me a ****ing break.
Please.. If wer're talking about Scheifeles last 2 seasons, he's over PPG center, with good defensive play.

Added:

So Matthews would have to become well above PPG center with atleast good defense.

You dont admit, that it's rare to see such player? Though Matthewss does have the potential, we're talking Crosby level production.

Last edited:

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
I've been watching the past few Leafs games and Matthews has not looked special at all.. it's Scheifele comfortably right now.
Ya Matthews hasn't looked himself lately. Think he might be banged up still. Playing with Brown/Hyman instead of Nylander/Hyman doesn't help either.

Reactions: Gurilla

PucksOnNet

Nov 12, 2017
Please.. If wer're talking about Scheifeles last 2 seasons, he's over PPG center, with good defensive play.

Added:

So Matthews would have to become well above PPG center with atleast good defense.

You dont admit, that it's rare to see such player? Though Matthewss does have the potential, we're talking Crosby level production.

Well
above PPG? He's got 116 points in his last 109 games..he's over a PPG, yes, but let's not get carried away here. Yes, Scheifele is a capable player defensively, as is Matthews. Matthews is already being lauded for his defensive play and is garnering Selke consideration and posting very good possession stats, once again, all at the age of 20. He's been compared to Toews & Kopitar for a couple of years now. He's a big, strong, two-way center who's capable of taking over games.

I Never said that PPG centers who are responsible defensively are a dime a dozen, quite the contrary; they are in fact very rare. I'm not attempting to downplay Scheifele's talent, he's a very, very good hockey player. I'm merely of the opinion that Matthews will almost certainly surpass Scheifele, sooner rather than later, I don't think that's a controversial opinion.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Well above PPG? He's got 116 points in his last 109 games..he's over a PPG, yes, but let's not get carried away here. Yes, Scheifele is a capable player defensively, as is Matthews. Matthews is already being lauded for his defensive play and is garnering Selke consideration and posting very good possession stats, once again, all at the age of 20. He's been compared to Toews & Kopitar for a couple of years now. He's a big, strong, two-way center who's capable of taking over games.

I Never said that PPG centers who are responsible defensively are a dime a dozen, quite the contrary; they are in fact very rare. I'm not attempting to downplay Scheifele's talent, he's a very, very good hockey player. I'm merely of the opinion that Matthews will almost certainly surpass Scheifele, sooner rather than later, I don't think that's a controversial opinion.

Look. I'm going to make this painstakingly simple for you; Mark has been far, far better than Matthews up to this point and that is what the poll is asking (right now). Mark is a better producer, plays the PK and is sound defensively.

there is no doubt in my mind Matthews surpasses him in the near future. but in the current or now, mark is better.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
They are both beasts. Scheif has a slight edge right now but they are two of the top players in the game and both will get better. Matthews has the potential to surpass him very soon but they are still two elite talents. They both have the drive and passion to be the best.

Reactions: Kelly

PucksOnNet

Nov 12, 2017
Look. I'm going to make this painstakingly simple for you; Mark has been far, far better than Matthews up to this point and that is what the poll is asking (right now). Mark is a better producer, plays the PK and is sound defensively.

there is no doubt in my mind Matthews surpasses him in the near future. but in the current or now, mark is better.

Smart assery aside, that wasn't what I was debating, and if you had bothered to read my previous posts, you'd notice I conceded that currently, Scheifele was the better player.

I was responding to posters, (all Jets fans of course) who were espousing the ludicrous notion that Scheifele would remain the better player for the length of their respective careers.

PucksOnNet

Nov 12, 2017

Also, tone it down would ya? Far, far better? They're in the same tier. We're not comparing Sidney Crosby to some average 3rd liner here.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
What makes him better now, besides playing with better line mates and not producing much more than Auston despite being 4 years older?

Hockey fans are so terrified of the Leafs they try anything to belittle whom we have. Also, Marner had more assists in his first 106 games than Scheifele had points as well lol
Omg lol, do you actually believe this? Wow, fantasy world or what?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I really don't understand why so many Jets fans feel that Laine is better than Mathews.
I HAVE SEEN THE BEST OF THE BEST, The worst of the worst. for over close to 55 years and have never ever seen what so many Finish fans are so Hypnotized about a certain player!!! I have loved hockey for over 55 years, but he is one of the worst hockey players I have ever seen!!!!

Were you so caught up in the love of the game that you forgot to actually watch?

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Smart assery aside, that wasn't what I was debating, and if you had bothered to read my previous posts, you'd notice I conceded that currently, Scheifele was the better player.

I was responding to posters, (all Jets fans of course) who were espousing the ludicrous notion that Scheifele would remain the better player for the length of their respective careers.
How is that ludicrous? Scheifele studies hockey constantly and has stated that he wants to be the best player in the NHL. Even if Matthews does become better, it's won't have been ludicrous to think that Scheifele could have been better for the length of his career. Nobody knows for sure, so usage of the word ludicrous in this instance is quite ludicrous.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Well above PPG? He's got 116 points in his last 109 games..he's over a PPG, yes, but let's not get carried away here. Yes, Scheifele is a capable player defensively, as is Matthews. Matthews is already being lauded for his defensive play and is garnering Selke consideration and posting very good possession stats, once again, all at the age of 20. He's been compared to Toews & Kopitar for a couple of years now. He's a big, strong, two-way center who's capable of taking over games.

No.. i said Matthews needs to become well above PPG player to be above Scheifele ;)

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Ahh, I misread.

Does he have to be well above PPG to be better though? What about just over PPG with far superior defense?
He would need to have far superior defense first for you to even seriously ask this question. He doesn't have that yet and we don't know if he will ever be far superior defensively to Scheifele.

PucksOnNet

Nov 12, 2017
He would need to have far superior defense first for you to even seriously ask this question. He doesn't have that yet and we don't know if he will ever be far superior defensively to Scheifele.

Well, no, he wouldn't. FWIW, I was being slightly facetious with whom I responded to anyways.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Ahh, I misread.

Does he have to be well above PPG to be better though? What about just over PPG with far superior defense?
Exactly how bad do you think Scheifele's defense is exactly? Do you actually watch him play? Because it sure doesn't seem like it.

PucksOnNet

Nov 12, 2017

Exactly how bad do you think Scheifele's defense is exactly? Do you actually watch him play? Because it sure doesn't seem like it.

I complimented Scheifele a few times in this thread already...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad